Where to ask about another distro, same ubuntu based (20.04.4) as Zorin?. I have sound issues

I will take all of this into account. thank you!

Initialy I had Kernel: 5.4.0-125-generic. The sound failed.

Last night I updated it , right now I have 5.15.0-46-generic. Sound is still failing.

I am following this right now. (I also moved the content from my Home into another folder, since my home was encrypted during installation*) I don't see in Synaptic the package for pulse.
Here I show you ...

*Ps, I don't mind breaking my system as long as I get access to my files.
If I do I will install Zorin.

UPDATE: Sorry this picture is right, this is for "alsamixer" search, instead of "Alsa" , anyway I already installed them.

Alsa search is much longer, with lots of things "alsa" ending , which i don't now if i have to chose.

I found this

UPDATE: I reboot my system without problems. However the volume icon next to the clock shows with an "x" , and when I select "audiomixer" it keeps searching for "pulseaudio".
I don't know if i have install everything related to Alsa ... How can I show you a list ?

Yes you have mask pulse audio. You must unmasked and start service again. I have that problem what i remember.
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=263704
that command you can used

systemctl --user mask pulseaudio.{service,socket} --now #unmask to revert
systemctl --user enable pulseaudio
systemctl --user start pulseaudio

systemctl --user status pulseaudio

Thank you. I have done the steps provided by swarfendor437 . I mean to maintain those. Are this commands according to that?

The solution given by swarf made the sound problem go away , however i don't have sound output in youtube

You can check in settings audio what YouTube using output signal. I have xfce then i seeing what sources using output signal.

I don't have that option in the setting panel.
Where should i search for it?
PS: I tried the commands you provided before. I got an error, daemon couldn't be unmask , pulse couldn't be unmask . ( Anyway I pretend to keep the configurations given by swarfendor.)

Ok. Then best if @swarfendor437 keep going repairing your problem. I can trying research what you gived me.

Thank you.

Thank you for the tip.
Dear friends, I know many are worried about my issue. I thank you all.
I must say the "ALSA" solution provided is a partial solution , I can play music files without trouble, but non a sound coming from web browser. Also any sound, film or music, plays in a low volume. That I cannot control so far from the volume icon next to the clock.
I will wait for your answers tomorrow, I know there are differences according to each time zone.
However as ALSA procedure (that is install everything Alsa related from synaptic) Installed a lot of extra software I don't need. Also in the procedure of updating I made a mistake and think I install the flatpack infrastructure..
So as this is my main computer, I will wait for your newest answer , but then , after this interesting tried I will either return to LM 19.3 (until april next year) or install Zorin 16.1. I must add I tried once again with LM 20 from USB Live , and no sound issues there (the kernel on USB live is 5.4 after instalation it got updated because I allowed that).
All in all , I cannot distinguish if this is a kernel issue or a pulseaudio or a pavucontrol issue.

I also wonder if a downgrade to the original kernel (although it has reached its life end) would it work. ??

Just a point, the End of Life on the kernel is only relevant to upgrading hardware. If you have hardware that works on a kernel, it will continue to work on that kernel after End of Life - nothing about it changes and it was working so that does not change.

Yes... that is the issue with Pulseaudio.
A driver, which is what the Kernel would mean... Should be all that is needed. Period. You do not have a PulseRAM. You do not have a PulseVideo.
Your other hardware runs and communicates with the system using a Driver. That is it.
So... What is Pulseaudio doing in the middle, tying it into Systemd?

Why is Pulseaudio in between the driver and your output?

This very question was the aim of Swarfendors suggestion of eliminating that middleman.

I don't know if things have moved on since your post #22 with alsamixer screenshot.

I see Speaker is set Muted [MM] move to that and hit M to unmute.

Also have a play with [Auto-Mute[ and [Loopback ] toggles.
I had to set Loopback set to Enabled to get sound working consistently on my system.

You can also unmute other channels and increase volume level to high to see any effect.

Sorry not been able to provide input. My system is in bits as had to empty storage cupboard into study while wired smoke and CO and heat detectorz fitted on each floor of house. Won't be back to normal until next week.

Hi! I am so sorry to hear that, hope everything gets better soon.
Don't you worry about me , this isn't urgent.

Thank you so very much for your explanation! so clear!.

with swarf config, Is there a way to manage the volume from icon from panel?

thank you so much for your reply.
I have unmuted those before, but I will check it again and apply your suggestions :wink: .
I don't use speakers, since this is a laptop , I have attached a cord for external speaker in the headphones jack.

I know that there have been panel plugins for Alsa on XFCE:

But I am not aware of any for Gnome.
Pavucontrol is the PulseAudio Volume Control - so the common pavucontrol plugin will work only with PulseAudio.

1 Like

Don't worry I am on xfce. Thank you!

1 Like

The only thing important to solve is web browser output audio. Couldn't find the option given by bourne