White display with colored vertical lines after installing zorin os

Hello!
Today i reinstalled zorin os and when i exited the live USB and updated the Nvidia drivers i got this screen after rebooting.

I have a Lenovo gaming 3, with a Ryzen 5 (with integrated graphics), 16 gb ram and a GTX 1560 TI

I tried reinstalling the system multiple times, opening the installer with both normal and Nvidia drivers, and not installing the updates when installing the OS but it doesn't seam that it works.

I will try next to install zorin again alongside the existing broken zorin and see if that does something, i don't know if it will do but I'm just trying stuff at the moment as i don't have at the moment any way to get another installation media.

I also want to say that until today i was dual booting Windows 10 with zorin os core and nothing like this ever happened

A definite trend all of the sudden:

First suspicion: 5.13.0-27 kernel. It's the one common denominator included in the timing of this issue.

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.11.0-46-generic linux-modules-5.11.0-46-generic linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-46-generic linux-image-5.11.0-46-generic

After installing, reboot.
Tap esc or tab or left shift key from the motherboard splash screen to reach Advanced Options for Zorin and select the 5.11 kernel to boot from and test.

Somehow I managed to boot into zorin os after installing 2 instances of zorin, the second one without doing any updates. I'll wait for your advice.

From this install please open a terminal and run

uname -r

and relay the results here.

Should I attempt to update the Kerbal?

No. It looks like you are on 5.11.0-38 and it is working. The newer 5.13.0-27 kernel does not work for you.
I recommend following these steps here:

This should get you fixed up.

I'll try it

Marked Solution. 360

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.