Who else prefers their Window buttons on the left?

So true, this is one the things that I first tried to change in ZorinOS and found the "hide intelligently" works great for me. I was very happy to find this feature also on Pop!_OS. It just gives you the best of both worlds: quick and easy access to pinned shortcuts and efficient use of screen.

I have been kinda torn on this issue. Unity is the only interface to "solve" it. But the modern Ubuntu interface is not space efficient at all. (Wastes space on the top and left)

Basically been debating between a stock Gnome interface for space efficiency and the Window-like interface which makes switching applications with the mouse faster.

I have never been a fan of this on a Windows-like interface but a Mac-like interface is unusable with it. (Dock wastes a ridiculous amount of screen for something that does so little)

1 Like

This is where I am very different.

The 'real estate' that the taskbar takes is extremely small and worrying over 1/10th of a millimeter on a screen seems superfluous to me.
Whereas, having the taskbar (panel) always available where I need it with the tools available as I need them is crucial to efficient and swift workflow.
Not having the desktop cluttered (I have no icons on it) as opposed to how I was on Windows where the Desktop was a complete nightmare of launch items has increased my productivity immensely. Talk about screen real estate... My entire Desktop Screen used to be a launchpad.
Having the panel "hide" drives me insane... When I head for it, it is not there. When it appears with some hovering, it usually catches me off guard. Having windows change in size or appearance to accommodate a suddenly appearing panel (or scrollbar) is jarring. I disable both.

2 Likes

I don't remember it doing this, it appears on top of other windows but doesn't cause any change in size over existing ones.

While I do not particularly disagree with you one thing I will point out is the taskbar is smaller in the Lite version than it is in Core I believe

Ah... And I Use Zorin OS Lite. So there may be an experience bias in perceptions there...

I do not think you understood what I meant. The panel size in Core is 48 and I am pretty sure it is smaller in Lite.

I am just saying I think Core users are saving more space by "auto-hiding" the panel than Lite users.

Personally I hate that feature on a panel though. If I have a dock I do tend to use it.

The default panel on Zorin OS Lite is smaller but I do not use default. My panel is 40 by my setting. Depending on the theme, I might set it smaller or larger (having more to do with appearance than function, I admit).
I used to use Cairo Dock. I still think it is a great dock.

Every time I tried a Vertical Panel, it was quickly noticeable that I must increase its size to make it usable. Gnome and other distros that configure a vertical panel on their D.E. also do this. You'll notice the Gnome Extensions for the side panel all increase its size.

I used for testing purpouse DWM digital windows manager the buttons you using are on both sides.

1 Like

@rolltide101x
New upgrade, new bugs.

This time I'm getting a segmentation fault when launching Nautilus....
Luckily there's a bug report that explains a working solution but rolling distributions are a bit of a cat and mouse game.

Seems you are having a string of bad luck with that. Tumbleweed is usually pretty good about not breaking stuff from what everybody has told me. (I haven’t used it long enough to really form my own opinion)

Yeah, it's probably just a bit of bad luck as it's been mostly stable with just a few exceptions like this one. I've been running since February I think, so I'm pretty comfortable saying that it's quite reliable overall.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.