Wi-fi not detected in HP Pavilion ec1019au

Hello. Laptop's processor is AMD Ryzen™ 5-5625U.
I booted into Zorin Live medium successfully and I liked it very much and when I tried to install it, realized that Wi-Fi hardware was not detected. From Windows I could see hardware details as Realtek RTL8852BE Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax PCIe Adapter. Just to cross check I tried Ubuntu 23.04 Live in which Wi-Fi was working. Why couldn't Zorin detect Wi-fi?
Note that it could detect Bluetooth.
What's my next step?

TIA...

did u select an option to install 3rd party drivers when u were installing zorin os? also was the wifi working in zorin live?
note that zorin 16.2 (latest version of zorin) is based on ubuntu 20.04 and not 23.04

I've got the Realtek RTL8822CE WiFi and the same exact CPU as you on an HP laptop (17-cp1035cl).

Try:
sudo apt install linux-oem-20.04d
Why?

sudo apt show linux-oem-20.04d
Package: linux-oem-20.04d
Version: 5.15.0.71.78~20.04.32
Priority: optional
Section: kernel
Source: linux-meta-hwe-5.15
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Kernel Team <kernel-team@lists.ubuntu.com>
Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
Installed-Size: 20.5 kB
Depends: linux-generic-hwe-20.04
Download-Size: 1,900 B
APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates/main amd64 Packages
Description: Complete OEM Linux kernel and headers

You might also have to upgrade to a kernel >= 5.16.

If that doesn't work, you can try the drivers below:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/kvalo/wireless-drivers-next.git/commit/?id=e3ec7017f6a20d12ddd9fe23d345ebb7b8c104dd

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Wifi not detected RTK 8852CE

@Mr_Magoo 's solution worked but just answering your questions too for future reference -
I booted to Live Zorin and I did not reach the step to select the option to install 3rd party drivers. Wifi didn't load in Live medium too. A drawback in this laptop is lack of ethernet port. One good hint that you gave me in your comment is telling me Zorin is based on Ubuntu 20.04 which is few years old and hence may be not up to date software wise. So, I'm going back to Ubuntu.

1 Like

Thanks for the solution!

I'm using the HRex39's repo for wifi and it is not working properly sometimes. Speed is decreasing and ping is increasing inconsistently. Also, bluetooth driver is misbehaving. It is showing all devices with name "Unknown" and sometimes it is showing names properly.
Can you please tell me which driver worked perfectly for you out of all?
(HRex39/lwfinger/git.kernel.org)
I'm particularly interested in git.kernel.otg repo which seems to be written by Realtek employees. How to build it and use?
I tried make command in /wireless-drivers-next-2021-12-23/drivers/net/wireless/realtek/rtw89 but it is saying no rules to make target

Do you have the same processor as mine?
Zorin is based on Ubuntu 20.04 which has a kernel that doesn't support some latest hardware.
I tried installing latest kernels in Zorin but it threw errors during boot up.

Post edited to reflect the current state.

2 Likes

I took back my words. I'm using zorin as my daily driver actually. No complaints till now after wifi started working. Waiting for the next major release.

Hardware drivers are installed and removed by the modprobe command. They don't need to be "made" (compiled) to be installed.

You could try upgrading the kernel. Several members have done this to support newer hardware. You can also upgrade the firmware, but is much more risky and difficult to find which firmware you need.

For future reference who purchase a system with similar hardware you need to turn off secure boot in BIOS for these drivers to work. Because I think they are not signed drivers and don't come included with the kernel at the time of writing this.

1 Like

No, it did not work as expected.
Correcting myself. This is for future visitors.
I tried Ubuntu 23.04 again to hop from Zorin. The reality is that it does not have the required driver.
Ubuntu 23.04 supports RTL8852AE and RTL8852CE by default but not RTL8852BE. So, what happens is Wi-Fi will work for few seconds or minutes and then it drops connection indefinitely until next reboot. This happens in loop. You get connection and lose connection.
Unfortunately, lwfinger's git repo signed Wi-Fi drivers did not work. Wi-Fi completely got disappeared from Settings after installing lwfinger's drivers. Bad thing is WiFi has disappeared in Windows 11 too :upside_down_face:. I don't have time to debug the issues. So, here I am back at Zorin with HRex39 drivers for Wi-Fi + Bluetooth.

My strong suggestion: Stay away from Pavilion series of HP laptops if they come with AMD processor. They are using different kinds of hardware maybe for cost optimisation which may not have drivers now or may not come never. I saw most of the forums have issues related to Pavilion range.

2 Likes

I tried MX Linux 23 today with Advanced hardware support. Kernel is at 6.4. Bad news is that the driver for Wi-Fi in question was not merged yet. That's a lot of delay for a chip that was released during 2017.

Have you yet tried:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kelebek333/kablosuz

sudo apt update

sudo apt install rtw89-dkms

From what I have been reading, the rtl8852be should be merged into rtw89.

Should I uninstall current drivers ([lwfinger] before doing this?

I tried modprobe'ing rtw_8852be in MX Linux it wasn't there but i could see rtw_8852ae & rtw_8852ce. So, I doubt it.

Apologies, I was not very clear. It was merged into rtw89.

You would not be installing nor module probing 8852be. You would be using rtw89-dkms.

Yes. And also use modprobe -r on any wifi modules you previously probed.

Thanks for the quick response.

rtw89-dkms is available in latest kernels is what you are saying?
If yes, then I'm not sure why Wi-Fi module works only for 2 minutes or so. Then it would disappear permanently.

I wonder if this is pointing to a hardware issue if failing on both Zorin and Windows.
Maybe a cheap WiFi or WiFi+BT USB dongle would save time and headache. Although that may occupy valuable USB real estate if a Laptop.

Another simple thing to try. Reboot your WiFi Router, if you have not already done so.

1 Like