Wi-Fi not showing up at all

When you see
Win
in the product name, you are doomed :skull:

Also I've never seen any 600 bps Wifi which works OOB in Linux.
Those are too new and not included in kernel.

If you want to compile a driver for this dongle, you can still do it:

2 Likes

I guess that is why they sent this along .... been years since I saw a baby disk .... they used to be real poplar ....

Thanks for that driver info ... I'll download it and keep it safe ....

1 Like

It's got a same chipset as that yellow coloured dongle in my photo (second one from the top). It is supposed to do 1200bps. I think we have to hang on to our dongles for some years till they make it into the kernel.

2 Likes

I agree as I darn near had heart failure when I thought about trying to find a dongle to work for Linux and the literally hundreds i searched through on the web .... adding the word Linux seemed to be the kiss of death .... and it is such a shame as Linux or rather Zorin seems to be the best choice for me .... some of these brain dead companies need to wake up and smell the roses ...

I was reading some info the other day that said the reason Wayland failure wa largely due to NVIDIA's refusal to switch or even try it .... not sure if it is true or not but that is what the article said .... me .... I know diddly about Wayland but it does sound interesting ... LOL

Me I'm prepared as I already have Gnome with Wayland as a choice in my desktop theme ... LOL

2 Likes

Actually if you stick to the older 150bps chipsets, you are almost always OK. It is only when you wanted anything faster than 300bps, the problem arises. My favourite one is RT5572. It is 300bps capable and Linux compatible.

2 Likes

Yea and me with only a 14 Mbps IP .... LOL and I'm looking at 600 + ... but don't laugh as just 2 years ago I was at 2 Mbps then 5 and finally 14 with my fiber connection ... OH how the world progresses :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes, the faster WIFI adapters require a 3rd party driver for in Linux to use. But the one I linked you to on Amazon shouldn't require a 3rd party driver, it should just be plug and play, its why I linked you to it.

Frog, you make me smile dude, never change. :joy:

2 Likes

HUMPH .... at 76 I ain't about to change now .... LOL .... just more forgetful ...

1 Like

You wanted me to start how it was like connecting with 96kHz modem? It was a vast improvement over 48kHz. The most tricky part was setting the right Baud rate and Stop bits with your communication partner. Long gone days before the AOL.

1 Like

OK gonna live you folks for a bit .... going over to XFCE for a bit to play around I ain't given Mr. Aravisian enough to do for today and I know he is a missin' me .... LOL see ya'll tomorrow (unless I get really messed up over yonder ....

1 Like

Yup your talking to someone that was around before the good ol' net I do remember when you got mail it was from the post office and facebook was a twinkle in some man eye ( I ain't gonna get into that cause I get mighty upset just thinking about facebook) ....

1 Like

I have had some XFCE experience, as I was running on the XFCE 4.12 DE for a couple years on Zorin OS 12.4. But I stopped once I got a new computer.

But now, I have interest in using XFCE for the real deal, when Zorin OS 16 LITE comes out. That is when I am going to get much more experience with XFCE. And once I built up that experience and get trained up, I will become more useful on the forum.

Yes, Aravisian will no longer have to answer every single XFCE question then, well maybe, will see how it goes. LOL! Aravisian is shaking his head right now. He's like, StarTreker you little womprat. HAHA! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

The Frog signing off .... "Olly Olly Oxen Free" .... (for those that remember .. LOL)

3 Likes

I do! I'll go hide in a tree, and wait for you to come find me, then I will go BOOOOO and pop out of the tree holloween style. :joy:

1 Like

I can't remember if it said up to but I could not get it to work so took it back to the supermarket. I would query hardware that works on older OSs/kernels on a security basis. :wink:

I got more than once a USB Bluetooth dongle with a fake chipset at eBay. The printed package can say anything since most buyers are Windows users and will never notice the difference.

Obviously they deserve a nickname evileBay :skull:

1 Like

One more thing I forgot to mention.
If @Becky is comfortable with opening her laptop, there is another option -> replacing the non-functioning network card.

My collection :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is actually quite easy to replace your WIFI adapter. The most difficult part though will be opening the notebook. Cause modern notebooks are not just held on my a bunch of screws, but they also have a bunch of clips, that require spudger tools to pry open.

So, I would only recommend the replacing internal WIFI adapter option, if the OP is most indeed comfortable with going to that level of modification. If not, its just easier to use a USB dongle.

PS: I love it when FrenchPress posts these pictures. Nothing sweeter then seeing a bunch of PCB in proper formation. Very neat stuff.

1 Like

@Becky. Do you know what you were doing when you last used the computer before this boot. I am wondering about software or kernel updates that may have been installed between your wifi working and not working. (Just a thought).

4 Likes

@Frog
Did the USB dongle work?
Which chipset does that have?