Will Direct upgrade be ready for Zorin OS 17?

I can confirm that we're also working to make it possible to upgrade directly from Zorin OS 16 Core to Pro (if you've purchased a copy) without needing to reinstall the system.

5 Likes

Brillliant.

Thank you, and take my money then :slight_smile: ... the upgrade feature is up and running :100:

1 Like

WOW, this is the first I am hearing about this. Thank you Azorin for answering their question regarding the upgrading, you are a super star! :stars:

Also, I have no idea how you are implementing that very specific feature of upgrade from CORE to PRO if user bought PRO, maybe you have a registration number field that a user inputs that unlocked everything?

I find this truly fascinating!

2 Likes

As I read the post:

I think this distinction must be noted. Just in case you are thinking a direct upgrade feature is up and running now, the above wording suggests that it is not; but is in active development.

2 Likes

Once again, we are in complete agreement. Sips coffee :coffee:

1 Like

I dont think zorin will use serial keys, i think its more a buy button and when purchased things get updated/unlocked. Like android does with alot of apps and games these days.

1 Like

This gets a like cause it made me laugh, I can so agree with this sentiment. When someone does something you truly like, then its like, take my money! LOL

Well, I am still not certain on how that would work exactly for users wanting to upgrade their system. But maybe they update the OS with a unique upgrade system that has such a path to buying?

I am just waking up and my mind is already spinning in thought. HEHE

3 Likes

Hello IDK but I think you are someone official so can you confirm that also you are working for upgrade from zorin os 16 to 17 without data loss same like windows please?

1 Like

Yes, we're working to make it possible to upgrade from Zorin OS 16 to 17 (after it's released in the future) without needing to re-install the system as well.

7 Likes

Thanks you so much! :slight_smile:

Yes... I meant ... "Once the upgrade feature is up and running" ofc

3 Likes

When it is ready! have some patience please.

3 Likes

Patience Eogo

2 Likes

@AZorin and @zorink as you said you are working for update system in which one can update from zos 16 to zos 17 without data and apps loss, and someone told that pop os have this feature already so why it is so hard for you like you can simply just copy their source code there is no rocket science and this is a must have feature.

1 Like

I think that user was me or @StarTreker

Systeemupgrade = System Upgrade
Systeemherstel = System Restore

When i have alot of issues i hit the button Herstellen (restore) and it will do a clean install of pop! os without the need of a live usb stick.

1 Like

Please understand, the Zorin's upgrade system is going to be more complicated then System76's. System76 only has 1 version of POP OS, both of them are Gnome, hence I call it 1-version. The only difference is, one is 20.04, and the other is 21.04.

The Zorin's can't simply just have a standard upgrade system, what is different? Well, the Zorin's have multiple versions of Zorin OS that are not paid versions. And Zorin also has a paid version.

Azorin has gone on to say that he wants us to have the ability, for if we already have CORE, to be able to buy PRO, and upgrade to that as well. If you think about it, that is indeed a more complex upgrade system.

Its easy to look at it from a users perspective of, why is this so hard, just do it already! But, when you see things from the developers perspective, all the code that has to work together, take it from someone who is not good at coding, me, its a freaking nightmare.

Now, granted, I do agree it does appear that the Zorins are slow for releases and upgrades, but please understand its only 2 people working on it. Where as System76 who made POP OS, they are like a team of what over 100 people?

Ponder on this you will......

StarTreker

yoda
Your Tech Support Guru

2 Likes

Plus Zorin OS Lite.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

27 Feb 2022 - reviewing Zorin OS packages - can confirm that A Direct Upgrade path is actively being developed though not yet ready.

2 Likes