Won't Etch (BalenaEtcher)

This is what I get:

Any ideas please?

Hi, it may be the image file is corrupted under download. Please try re-download.

1 Like

Before using Etcher, please check sha256 for your .iso file, to be sure that everything is fine :

Zorin OS 16 Core 64-bit eabd2a222175f3556f277a0722664af1f11230285c4ce6bf69984ac40c48b1c3

Zorin OS 16 Pro 64-bit 1addffb6100a5ba340266b709b367ded7094aa563143dd98ba577aaf00498590

You can use this tool :
https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256_checksum.html

2 Likes

Also, you can try alternatives other than BalenaEtcher. I prefer Unetbootin and I never use Balena.
Multiboot is good and for Windows Users as well: Rufus gets a lot of praise.

Judging from what I see in the screenshot, OP is trying to make a Zorin installer.
I think the consensus is that Etcher is the only one that can make a installer for Zorin16.

I think that was a limited case and only affected some people. If Balena is not working - I still think trying other etchers is viable.

Oh, was it?
I tried Mint stick, Rufus, and gnome-disks - nothing worked other than Etcher.

Yes, in my testing, Unetbootin worked each time without any problems.

This one is a bit of a trade off- as BalenaEtcher also is known for damaging USB sticks. For some people it is what worked for getting Zorin OS installed, but I would personally still consider it a last resort.

1 Like

Ah, OK thanks.
I tried Unetbootin but I could not take its user interface.
Fonts are too small for my ageing eyes and there was no way to enlarge them :frowning:

I second that.
I remember seeing it when I accidentally tried to flash a partially downloaded image.

I did not think of this-- and I have done this on several occasions. Which makes sense... you can tell by many of my posts - Big Huge Hurry...
Always check that the download has actually completed before trying to etch.

1 Like

Thank you everybody for your kind interest and suggestions. The checksum of the download was correct, so no corruptions. I trued unetbootin, and, although Zorin was not mentioned in the list, everything proceeded as expected and I ended up with a bootable USB stick.

Zorin is installing on my HP Envy laptop right now!

Thanks again.

2 Likes

That would not happen if people took time to check the download file SHA256 against the published SHA256 checksum :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Run GAMBAS on Zorin OS

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.