Zorin 15.3 not recognizing 4k HDMI Monitor

SWARF! :grin:

Perhaps you did not know this, but you can use a real keyboard with Android devices, and a real mouse as well. You can either use a wired one that uses your USB C port, or, you can dedicate that port only to keep the device charged, and use bluetooth wireless keyboard and or mice.

This is how I primarily use my tablet in my home, I use a Logitech MX Master 3 wireless mouse, and a Arteck Bluetooth universal wireless keyboard. The only time I use the on screen QWERTY keypad, is when I am out in the shop, or somewhere else.

1 Like

When I got rid of the swiftkey keyboard, it did come up with that … (brain cells clicking!) Just realised that when I tried to connect using my keyboard on PC as KDE connect keyboard came up, I couldn’t (reason for brain cells clicking … this Cherry wireless, sweet Cherry Wireless is on RF for Linux - need to switch keyboardd and mouse to bluetooth for 1+ 3T! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you, but I dont know how to install those files.

I have tried something else. To install from this page.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-30

and I got this as result

In that folder, look for the amdgpu-pro-install file.
Open it in a text editor and search for “Ubuntu”. Change that to “Zorin”. Save the file and then try the installation.

I was trying to find madvinegar’s post in the old forum about changing etc/os-release info - this can work if an ubuntu package does not see the os as ubuntu:

So you could try changing the information to Ubuntu 18.04 and it’s code name which I can’t state here! Mucky programmers! then once installed, revert back to the Zorin naming convention. :wink:

Firstly it prompted me to uninstall old package, which was success but after not all was installed correctly.

Why does it depend on 32bit drivers?
You cuaght me literally walking out the door to take my son in to work. back in an hour and will try to troubleshoot. Sorry for the delay.

1 Like

:slight_smile:
Funny…and dont worry, I also dont have time to work on it, obviously I would like to make it work as I quite like Zorin and would like to avoid using OpenSuse or Ubuntu as they are slower. Maybe Zorin is faster due to not allowing my drivers to work :slight_smile:
Anyway don’t worry about timing. Cheers mate

And I haven’t got a clue about 32 bit drivers, this is 64 bit new laptop and Ryzen Amd processor.

Funniest line I have read on here all day.

@swarfendor437
Yes, the Distro name can be changed:

@robmano
You could try

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

sudo apt update

sudo apt --fix-broken install

At this point... It may install the dependencies and then install the package... OR... it may just remove the offending package as the fix if it cannot locate the dependencies. I do not recommend a Force Install.
You already are having enough trouble with broken drivers...
If the above fails, please report back and we can try the next option.

1 Like

Hi, this is what I got.
In relation to corrupted all, I dont mind, my plan was to install all from scratch at any point, either now once we are working on this in a hope that clean install maybe better for trying all procedures again or even better if this is fixed and I do new install anyway.
I didnt do any setup or other installations, hence I dont mind

Just remembering days of LInux mandrake late 90s when I used to play and explore it and 4 virtual desktops which I have enjoyed…Now I have literally 4 displays including laptop original display, but my 4k display is not working.
I event didnt try fo fix Wifi not being recognised here whereas in Opensuse all was perfect at ones on trial USB…so it is doable…I somehow feel that linux is not for everyone, especially Zorin as their selling point is to be user friendly and close and closest to Windows. I really dont like Microsoft, but you have to stick with it.

Considering what you have been going through, I do not blame you.

I left Windows behind in the dust. I neither need it nor use it.

However, I remember when I first started using Linux on Zorin - it was a couple of weeks of chaos while I learned how. Once I got a grip, though, the amount of user control, configuration and freedom beat down anything I ever had on Windows. You are right that Linux is not for everyone. But it sure is for me.

I am unsure why OpenSuse works with some things that Zorin does not. Perhaps Zorin 16 will fix that when it is released possibly late this year.
In the meantime, I am confused- your screenshot shows that the 'sudo apt --fix-broken install had no effect…

I must have windows due to nature of my work but also in relation to work (and life and pleasure) I would prefer to use linux more. After trying few of distros Zorin won over me. The problem is that only LinuxSuse works only in relation to drivers. But I really dont like it as it is clunky and slow somehow. I liked ubuntu much more. I tried Elementary OS yesterday, and was not able to install. Zorin seems to be best, works all beautily aparat so importan 4k display. I should have tried on TV screen too,but I dont plan to use it on TV but out of curiosity.
Anyway I am happy to install from scratch and try options again including building kernel by taking modules from opensuse which works for my laptop. If someone is willing to help I am happy to go through procedure.

btw this is the extensive list of Distros tried on my laptop, only thow OpenSuses works as it should, Zorin wasn tested here https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/540415-ASUS-A15-TUF-Gaming-506-IU-Laptop-Ryzen7-4800h-–running-linux-on-it-amp-hybrid-graphics-(AMD-Nvidia)

You wouldn't need to take modules from Suse Tumbleweed as it is using the standard 5.6 kernel. I think that thread mentioned it is now using 5.8... Bear in mind that Tumbleweed is a Rolling Release.
Essentially, if you installed either of those kernels on Zorin, it would be the same exact kernel as what you would find on Suse.
I have also experienced that Zorin is sleeker, faster and less resource intensive. Many others have posted the same.
The question of 'why' it is becomes an interesting one. And whether or not the answer to that question could also answer whether running the 5.6 or 5.8 kernel on your machine with Zorin would have the same effect as it does on Suse.
Really, you have nothing to lose by trying.
Assuming you are feeling Daring:

For simplicity... Create a new folder in your ~/Downloads folder and name it "kernel." Doing this allows us to isolate just these four packages into one directory and then issue one command to install all of them at once.

Now, download these packages:
https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.8.1/amd64/linux-modules-5.8.1-050801-generic_5.8.1-050801.202008111432_amd64.deb

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.8.1/amd64/linux-image-unsigned-5.8.1-050801-generic_5.8.1-050801.202008111432_amd64.deb

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.8.1/amd64/linux-headers-5.8.1-050801-generic_5.8.1-050801.202008111432_amd64.deb

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v5.8.1/amd64/linux-headers-5.8.1-050801_5.8.1-050801.202008111432_all.deb

Four packages. Now, go into your ~/Downloads and move all four .deb packages into the folder named "kernel."
Open a terminal in that folder OR open a terminal and enter

cd ~/Downloads/kernel

Now install all four packages at once with this command:

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

Let it do its thing, watch the terminal for messages. If all is well, reboot and cross your fingers. And legs. And toes.

1 Like

Ok tiger, slowly please :slight_smile:
First I need to install fresh copy of Zorin, right?
Sorry for probably asking wrong question as I am not entierly sure what I am doing now, but don’t I have to download those kernel modules from OpenSuse kernel first? And they should be for graphics? Right ?

I will do what you say, I have nothing to lose, in fact this is fun and interesting learning curve.

I dunno... Do you need to install a fresh copy? Is yours broken?
I am not sure I see the need to otherwise...

No, I actually addressed this above: The modules are the same. The linux kernel is independent of Distros- they merely use the kernel. The kernel development is Linus Torvalds responsibility.

This is a more complex question. Or answer.
The kernel deals with communicating a great deal of information with the X window server, including information on graphics. The kernel is not a graphics driver. It is what bridges the graphics drivers between the hardware and the operating system and X11.
The drivers could be seen as the Language interpreters. The drivers provide the means of communication between the hardware (Which has a processor and an operating system of sorts of its own) and the Motherboard (Which also has a processor and an OS, in this case Linux).The OS uses X-window system to display the information Graphically. The Kernel relays the information to X to do so, relying on clear communication from the Drivers and from the Hardware.
If any of these points of communication cannot understand eachother, then poor or no performance can result.

I checked Distrowatch and compared Zorin 15.3 to Tumbleweed. Tumbleweed has a higher gtk and gnome-shell version. It has only a very slightly higher version of X-server. Performance wise, the x-server should be on par between Tumbleweed and Zorin in this case.

1 Like

Will try, at the moment I am testing Manjaro latest version, started 4k monitor from command line, didint even come to windows, all from USB stick. So many settings for graphcs from GUI
I can see that is slower than Zorin though, but is definitely nicer in than Suse in my opinion

I wonder if Manjaro, MXLinux or Suse could be sped up…

1 Like