Zorin 15.3 not recognizing 4k HDMI Monitor

I thought this file is online, not on PC…I dont think I have this lib folder at all unless is hidden

It would be on the PC and if you open it with nano in terminal, it cannot be “hidden” in any way. One of the strong advantages of Linux over Windows- Full access to everything on your PC.

No, I dont have this path on my machine, but on OpenSuse all was working perfect. Strange, cant all distros use best kernel for hardware

How do you define "best?"
The kernel that may work best on your hardware may not work as well on another machine.
But- you can upgrade the kernel to see if that does, in fact, work better.

I wish I would know how to do it. Just to take part of OpenSuse in relation to HDMI output and combine it with Zorin… I guess this is only for Linux gurus

I know what I know today because yesterday I was willing to learn. I do not know much today, But I am still willing to learn.
Assuming you have installed Zorin...
:Let's take some steps in the terminal:

sudo apt update

sudo apt full-upgrade

"Full-upgrade" is different than "dist-upgrade" as the full option will delete old files in order to install newer ones. The Dist option will not install a newer file if an older one must be deleted to do it. While this CAN be risky, as you are freshly installed (not a lot to lose) and trying to get it to work; it is worth the risk.

Now that those operations have been performed, check your kernel version

uname -r

sudo apt install --install-recommends linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04

This should give you the latest bionic Hardware enablement Packages.
Again, check your kernel version after doing so. If the kernel version is higher then continue on... If the same or lower, please report that back in this thread.

Next is to try to get the Nvidia "Nouveau" drivers:

sudo apt ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

If this fails, please report back and we can try to install the Needed Nvidia Graphics drivers manually:
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/nvidia-graphics-drivers

Apologies on late replies- I am also working in the shop.

1 Like

https://forum.zorin.com/t/what-rigs-are-you-all-running/325/55?u=swarfendor437

I don’t consider myself to be a guru - I ‘attended’ a distant LUG on Saturday and I have to say it was just a bit over my head (ACL’s was the topic - don’t ask!)
I tried a similar stunt with what you are talking about in relation to SimpleScan (in Ubuntu 20.04 and Fedora 31 Workstation it is named ‘Document Scanner’) Now my all-in-one Canon works with the Canon drivers but not a brilliant interface and so I delved into what pkgs the other 2 distributions were using. I installed the latest package files (backends) onto Zorin - no joy. I removed Simple Scan and reinstalled Simple Scan several times and then just by chance I launched Simple Scan and it is now working! I guess something must have stuck for it to work.
If Ubuntu MATE has a fix for it perhaps, just perhaps you could apply that fix to Zorin? :wink:

@Aravisian: I smiled when I read about your bit about nVidia messing up the kernel - this is the inverse of that other closed-source stable, by that I mean applications work great - until M$ releases a Service Pack and that application that didn’t have any issues now does not work as it should!

Hi, this is my version of Zorin …5.4.0-47-generic
kernel
“inux-generic-hwe-18.04 is already the newest version (5.4.0.47.51~18.04.40).
xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04 is already the newest version (1:7.7+19ubuntu8~18.04.3).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.”

next
domnerus@domnerus-TUF-Gaming-FA706II-FA706II:~$ sudo apt ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
E: Invalid operation ubuntu-drivers

Next reply i will try last option of nvidia graphics, need to restart now

Something must have recently changed. I triple checked that command. You can do a search on it, as well.
Hmm...

Trying a manual install:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt update

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-430 nvidia-settings

message after Debian Nvidia supplied drivers link

nvidia-graphics-drivers_440.100-1.dsc:
dscverify: nvidia-graphics-drivers_440.100-1.dsc failed signature check:
gpg: WARNING: no command supplied. Trying to guess what you mean …
gpg: Signature made utorak, 30. lipnja 2020. 09:56:37 CEST
gpg: using RSA key EBF30A30A8D9C63BDA44C6945FB33F9359E9ED08
gpg: issuer “anbe@debian.org
gpg: Can’t check signature: No public key
Validation FAILED!!

No luck with this .
My graphic card is Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 Ti

I tried this Ubuntu Mate “fix” but nothing happened. It was just different desktop environment. There was no HDDPI support option at all, whereas on screenshot from the link there is.

Anyway, I am not giving up yet on Zorin as I like it, speed and stability, but I really need to use my 4k monitor, hence I am thinking to try some other distro. Only OpenSuse works properly so far, but is more sluggish and unfortunately I dont like it…it is not perfect at all.

And if you open 'Software and Updates" from the App menu, go to additional Drivers tab, what shows up (After it searches)?

Two days ago it was three different Nvidia drivers which I have all tried but no luck. I will try later on when I get home on Lan cable as I just discovered that Wifi is not working also :slight_smile:

Now I have somehow 4 drivers, but none of them works. I mean doesnt support HDMI another monitor in 4k.

I think this thread was once “What rigs are you all running”.
Been on diversion the past few days due to NVIDIA roadworks.
Mods @swarfendor437 @Aravisian, Would you consider worthy to fork a separate thread?
(just asking, no grief) :wink:

1 Like

Somewhere I found something to rebuild Kernel probably as in screenshot. Interesting part is that it says that library missing for AMDGPU as my laptop is build with two gpu-s, but Nvidia is for gaming and I dont even know how to operate it within win10

True, my apologies :frowning: I got carried away

@robmano. No please do not apologise as it is a good stuff, just maybe mature enough to jump the nest as a dedicated thread in its own right, was my thinking, as the title now differs from the content (a bit). Happy to let the Mods ponder that.
Edit: They did :smiley: Good to see this is now a separate thread. Thanks @Aravisian.

1 Like

You were quite right to bring it up. I had actually considered splitting the thread several times- but a facet of how discourse works behind the scenes caused me to hesitate.

Interesting- that screenshot above.
There are certain things I suspect I am seeing more of than I used to…
“Possible Missing Firmware”
and
“Device unclaimed” “failed to get size of gamma”

I would love to be corrected on this- but it appears to me that these errors have increased in appearance lately. The past fixes seem to have no effect.
And…
I suspect that most folks that install Zorin currently update/upgrade during or after the installation.
I would be curious about what would happen if a person did not update or upgrade following an installation. OR if they roll the kernel backward instead of installing a later version.
Because it is starting to look like Kernel 5.4 is all kinds of busted.

2 Likes