Zorin 16 blank screen on boot (Intel UHD 620)

Hi,
recently I installed Zorin 16. I had problems since begining, I could boot from USB by selecting 'safe graphics' only. When I boot from SSD, Zorin freeze on the logo screen. When I boot into Recovery Mode and modify grub with 'nomodeset', it works - until I put laptop to sleep or reboot, of course. I guess there's an issue with graphics driver?

I have DELL laptop with Intel Graphics UHD 620. I read Intel Graphics drivers should be pre-installed in the system? I updated repositories and ran upgrade, system should be on latest version, however it did not resolve the issue.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Have you tried just booting normally instead of safe graphics? I have intel drivers and works fine

Have you tried the intel non-free graphics instead? Open source is best but sometimes it doesn't always work. Try running sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall then reboot and see if that fixes it

Yes I tried booting from installation USB normally also, but I've got the same behavior - the system froze at logo screen.

Yes, I tried 'sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall' but it said no updates available.

I've read about the issue before I think if you disable hibanation and suspend from RAM or disk (whichever the issue is) it fixes the issue but that's if that's what the issue is.

Does using the machine normally work fine otherwise? what kernel are you running? what is your UEFI setting in your BIOS options output?

I am not sure this would help, because I get blank screen and system freeze on boot when I boot from turned off state, as well. Unless I modify grub to 'nomodeset', which indicates issue with graphics.

Maybe the problem is with UEFI? Have you tried installing in legacy? I have't got much knowledge with your BIOS setup as I run a HP with Intel integrated graphics and CPU

I am running 5.13.0-39-generic kernel.
UEFI Secure Boot is disabled.

Is there any security settings in your BIOS for instance TPM or PPT etc..? If so what are those outputs?

TPM is 'ON' and 'Enabled'.

That shouldn't affect it do you have PPT? if so turn that off. I think it might be with UEFI settings can you change that setting to legacy and see if it boots

No PPT Security option in my BIOS. I disabled TPM, but still the same.

Try re-installing under legacy not UEFI and see if it's a UEFI issue. TPM is safe to be enabled. I can't think of much else at the moment sorry

This makes sense, too. What Graphics card are you using?
You might install inxi and run

sudo apt install inxi

inxi -Fxzd

and relay the output here.

Graphics:
Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev
unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6
direct render: Yes

No Nvidia?
This does not make any sense.

The nomodeset parameter allows the init to fallback on the Intel drivers if the Nvidia Graphics drivers have not yet loaded. If you only have the integrated Intel Graphics, using nomodeset should not make any difference.

1 Like

I know, but it does make difference. Without the nomodeset parameter Zorin freezes at boot, with it it continues and boot normally.

I even tried reinstall - same behaviour with v16, v16.1, bootable CD. What else should I try?

And you are certain of your hardware? Do you have a dedicated Nvidia card that is not being recognized? Or AMD?

100%, no Nvidia card, no AMD:
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: Dell product: Latitude 7390 v: N/A serial:
Mobo: Dell model: 09386V v: A00 serial: UEFI: Dell v: 1.24.1
date: 01/24/2022
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5-8250U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 6144 KiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
bogomips: 28800
Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 400/3400 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1097 2: 1594
3: 975 4: 800 5: 800 6: 800 7: 800 8: 914
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 vendor: Dell driver: N/A bus ID: 00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: fbdev
unloaded: modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~77Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0 256 bits) v: 4.5 Mesa 21.2.6
direct render: Yes

Then, it must be the kernel. You may need the OEM kernel.
Can you try:

sudo apt install linux-image-5.10.0-1019-oem linux-headers-5.10.0-1019-oem linux-modules-5.10.0-1019-oem

Boot to Advanced Options for Zorin, boot into Recovery
From the Recovery menu, enable Networking, first. Then back to recovery menu and arrow key down to drop to prompt. Hit enter, then enter in the command above.
I realize that command is a bit tedious to transcribe over... sorry about that...

make sure Secure Boot is disabled :wink: