Zorin 16 Can't install Windows App Support

I can't install the Windows App Support. I get the error message

The following packages have unmet dependencies: zorin-windows-app-support: Depends: wine32 but it is a virtual package

I looked up my packages in Synaptic but everything seems to be fine. I've already seen some threads on this matter but they are either outdated or unresolved.

Did you add 32bit arch?

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

Otherwise, what does

sudo apt install wine64 wine32

yield?

1 Like

That did not do anything.

That actually installed just fine and then I successfully installed the Windows App Support. But actually, I quickly loaded up Z16 live img and it installed just fine on there without any pre-configuration. Also it installed just fine on Z15.3 without any pre-configuration. So I'm wondering what was causing it here?

The terminal will not print out anything after you hit enter, but it does do something: It enables the 32bit libraries.

This must be done prior to installing WINE.

As far as I know... Zorin OS made that a little easier by including enabling 32bit arch in the installation of WINE, making that step unnecessary.

On Zorin 15 you will also be installing some different things when you run the same command from what would be installed on Zorin 16, as Z16 is using the Focal Repository. Focal refers to lib32z1.
That may relate... I do not know. I do not use WINE (not on a machine I use daily, anyway) so I rarely troubleshoot it and even in the rare instance I do use WINE, it is on the shop computer for One Program Only - An automotive diagnostic program.

Yes but I meant that, even after running the command, I wasn't able to install the Windows App Support.

I really like how Zorin actually handles the WINE installation. When a user tries to open an .exe file, it automatically suggests the user to install Windows app support. I like it.

Uh oh, why is that? I saw it as a good utility to have on Zorin. It's handy and works fine... sometimes :smiley:

1 Like

Ah, I understand, now. Sorry.

There are, for me personally, no Windows Only applications that I need on my regular use machine. Many Linux apps actually contain the same functionality; the crutch is in having to learn how to use the tool for Linux that operates differently than one on Windows.
There have only been two Windows only apps I need - One is auto diagnostic software I paid a couple hundred dollars for and it is installed on the Shop Computer and not used that often. The other was built on QT, so I modified the internals of the software and it was able to run on Zorin OS 12.4, no problem (also on the shop computer).

1 Like

Also, since the zorin-windows-app-support package is pretty specific to Zorin OS, I am going to tag this for @azorin and @zorink to hopefully get a peek at this thread and OP, even if you are now sorted out; in case there is a bug or issue they need to know about.

2 Likes

Ah okay, that's fair enough. For a second I was worried that WINE might be up to some malpractices.

And actually regarding this whole installation issue, I hate this sort of problems because I don't know what went wrong and what else could be possible broken and I'm none the wiser. It's a very bad feeling that I get knowing that the system is not functioning as intended... and then I wouldn't know what any issue is being caused by the corrupted OS files and what is genuinely an issue that came from elsewhere.

This issue did not occur when I tested it on the Z16 live image. I tried some things to narrow down what could've caused the issue but to no avail. I just wish there was some utility that could monitor the health of the OS similar to how hash checksum tools check if a cluster of files is corrupted or not by comparing their hash values to the original ones. Many Linux flavors including Zorin, do this before installation. But why not after installation as well? In the case that the OS did not install properly, the user would exactly know what file is causing the problem.

Oh... no. Wine-Dev is pretty much As-You-see-it.

In terminal, you can use

sudo apt-get install -f

to check / repair all installed packages. This is manually done.
You can also run from the Recovery Menu Prompt

fsck -f /

This is also manually done. As far as something that actively monitors the system - I do not know of one but perhaps others can make suggestions.

I understand this entirely.
While I often will advise caution in this regard - the reality is that the system is usually fine. In your case, it may have simply been some packet loss in the network connection.

1 Like

genial thanks for the support

1 Like

Marked solution. 26