Zorin 16 Pro - Audio device selection not surviving reboot

Hey there guys!

As the title of this thread suggests, the standard audio device is not persistent after a reboot, i.e. I have to re-select my audio device after every reboot.

Is there anything I can do to make the audio device selection survive a reboot?

Best wishes and I'm so happy with Zorin OS (very new :slightly_smiling_face: )

sudo nano /etc/pulse/default.pa

Look through and comment out the line:

load-module module-switch-on-port-available

making it look like:

#load-module module-switch-on-port-available

Hit ctrl+x to exit, the y key to say yes to save, then the enter key to save as current configuration.

Hey there, thank you again for your efforts. But unfortunately that didn't do the trick. I made the line a comment and rebooted and it still selected the other audio device.

To be more precise: The only audio device I use is called "Starship/Matisse HD audio controller", but it keeps selecting "Digital output - Logitech Pro X Wireless headset". Any further ideas?

Appreciate your help! :slight_smile:

hmmm... perhaps it no longer works on 20.04? According to this thing I just looked up, anyway:
https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-how-do-you-set-a-default-audio-output-device-in-ubuntu-18-04/

Maybe the chosen solution will work for you.

Thank you so much, worked perfectly! Just for my interest: Will there be something implemented in future Zorin OS? Something like "Select standard audio device"? I'm missing a few features from windows (like the above) or the ability to configure the mouse wheel speed (Found a working solution for that already though).

Don't get me wrong: Zorin or Linux with Zorin has quickly become my #1 choice of OS, but there're a thing or 2 that might come handy with Zorin as well :slight_smile: Just my 2cents :slight_smile:

Thank you anyways for your awesome work across this forum :rocket:

3 Likes

I can only suggest using the Feedback forum to present these improvements.

1 Like

Fair point! Will do at times :slight_smile: Thank you very much :heart:

1 Like

Hey again, I think I was too quick. While the command works when I'm entering it in a terminal (pactl set-default-sink alsa_output.pci-0000_0f_00.4.analog-stereo), it doesn't automatically work if I reboot my computer :confused:

I added this command in start programs but it seems it is not executed? I have no idea, any help is still appreciated.

Ah and: Somehow I need to enter my password in something called "bla bla keychain". I forgot the exact wording, but could it have something to do with that? That it maybe prevents the execution as it is not authorized? Or something? :smiley:

....that... actually that totally should survive reboot.

Can we test something... Ensure that is set, then go to your home directory and rename ~/.config to ~/.config-bkp

That creates a back up of your config files while also making your config files inaccessible to the system - causing it to use all default configurations.
Reboot
Ensure the above again and set sound device and reboot one mroe time to test...

If that makes a difference, then there may be a config file in your home directory overriding your settings.
We can then see about sussing it out.
If it doesn't, punch me in the head no more than five times.

1 Like

Hey there! I'm rebooting for the 2nd time now. Just FYI at the first reboot the audio device was still wrong :see_no_evil: btw where can I find the config file now again sir? It's not in /home anymore and I'm already sweating because it was such a marathon to get to this point. Now everything is set back to default. Also: I don't have super user privileges anyomore...if I enter my password it says that it's wrong :thinking:

Okay I got su privileges again, but I cannot find the .config file anymore. Also, the device is still the wrong one after the second boot :confused:

~/.config and ~/.config-bkp
If you are not seeing either in your File Manager, hit ctrl+h to reveal.

Audio device not staying selected... I am at a loss.

In your travels... Have you ever talked to someone who is a linux-user that complains about Systemd?
Lennart Poettering?
If so, have you ever wondered why there was so much venom?

This is why.
Pulseaudio combined with Systemd modules.

-sigh-
I am not a systemd hater... not really. Not a lover, either. But I do know that while it has some Good Points, it has some flaws that are Pretty Killer.

1 Like

Hey there man! Thank you a ton again for all your efforts! Control+h did the trick and I'm so delighted! :smiley: It really seems that this is a bit of a pain in the b_u_m, however, not a thing I couldn't live with :slight_smile: After the initial finetuning is done now I won't reboot too much anyways (Running a Plex server here which is basically online 24/7 ^^). But you tried your very best and I'm veeery thankful for all your help! Too bad nothing worked out, but all good :slight_smile: Would there be any thread or something to report this? Again feedback section?

1 Like

I think the ZorinGroup currently has a "kill on sight" bounty out on me so if you could just claim you never saw me...
That might help.

2 Likes

Hahaha dude btw you're funny af! I laughed harder than I should 2 comments of yours ago :laughing:

HOWEVER! Guess what... After restoring my previous config file it's working now!!!! The correct audio device IS selected after every boot like... What? :joy:

2 Likes

I knew I could do it.
I only needed to believe in myself.

1 Like

Lmao! 5/5 stars, would get support again! Believe in the heart of the cards!

For the first time I could hear Zorin boot up sound :slight_smile: if that's not worth the support award of the year idk what is

2 Likes

One thing I have learned on the forum is that however confident I am that the fix I post right away is going to fix things up, most common likely response is:

"It didn't work."
More often, the trying different things leads to finding clues- many times it helps the O.P. figure it out in one way or another on their own. But the most important thing is- the person gets a reply- even if it does not fix things right up- that they were cared about.
Failure counts for much more than silence.

1 Like

Wise words Aravisian. As a full time gaming support agent I can only agree! The most important thing is that the one searching for help feels cared about, not much to add :slight_smile:

Are you btw a staff member of Zorin? Or just some sort of Zorin forum super hero? :slight_smile:

1 Like