Zorin 16 Pro - Audio device selection not surviving reboot

Very good assumption. It's totally true that this time nothing has changed and the selected audio device was still wrong after 2 reboots and changing /.config folder. A weird note is that, unlike the last time when I've reset the /.config folder, most of the settings were still the same as before, so I wasn't granted with a "default-ish" look of my UI. Some settings were still the same (unlike the last time), my background wallpaper was still the same (unlike the last time) etc.

I am not sure on the wallpaper... But we have established that it may have been a fluke, before.
We have also established that at the moment, I am stumped.

Hahaha :smiley: Nooo worries in this regard! I'm definitely fine with changing it and maybe it resolves itself with any update in the future :slight_smile: I'd be much more thankful if you could guide me through the other issue we're talking about :pray: I'll tip you again of course hehe

with my eternal love

OK, so I had to delete what I posted here as it is all irrelevant. Here is the process in a nutshell (for anyone else dealing with this):

First go here, and follow the steps up to editing the default.pa file:

Unfortunately, the person who wrote this didn't detail what to do when you don't have ownership of that file and therefore can not edit it. But you can proceed to the other guide linked in this thread:
https://itectec.com/ubuntu/ubuntu-how-do-you-set-a-default-audio-output-device-in-ubuntu-18-04/

The first part of this guide doesn't work. But note the stuff for Startup Applications. Taking the command you built at the first link, follow these steps:

1. Go to Startup Applications
2. Click Add
3. Under Name give this device a name. In my case I used HDMI 3 as my computer is hooked to HDMI 3 on the TV.
4. Under Command paste the completed command you built. For me it was this:
pactl set-default-sink 'alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-surround-extra1'
NOTE: This is exact - single quotes around your device name!
5. Under comment leave some helpful info. I typed, "Set Default Audio Device." Seems kinda obvious...
6. Reboot and check Settings/Sound.
7. Reply if you have issues. First question I will ask is, "Did you complete the FIRST PART of the first link, and the LAST PART of the second?"

1 Like

Hey there! Thank you for making an effort on putting this together.

I had to reinstall Zorin recently and started from scratch, running into the same issue again. However, when I'm trying to execute "pactl list short sinks" it tells me "Connection refused. pa_context_new() failed: Connection refused"

Any help on this? I'm at root in the terminal

EDIT: Nevermind, without root it worked, at it :slight_smile:

This is an area of Linux where I still have an issue, and thats the sound output always reverting after every reboot, never could find the right command to fit it. POP OS is built off of Ubuntu just like Zorin OS is, and both share the common thread of Gnome as well.

But I have an extension installed that allows me to change the audio output from the top right menu. So its easy to set mine to HDMI that way. But yes, I do agree, the system should never be reverting like that, it just should simply remember what you set it to, and no longer be an issue.

Thats why I never once said that Linux was perfect. Linux most certainly has its issues, thats for sure. But in the 6+ years that I have been using it, IMO, its far better then Windows.

MS likes to make you give up a lot of freedoms to use its software, which provides you many conveniences. Of course I say that now, cause my past experience ended with Win7. Everything I hear about Win10 and now Win11, nobody talks about convenience, they are talking about pain in the butt.

The fix in post two DOES still work. Just used on Zorin 16 Pro.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Thanks for this confirmation report.

1 Like

Mmm. Maybe this doesn't work all the time. It didn't work an identical PC. However installing pipewire audio did.
I can take no credit for this. I got it from the Ubuntu Forums.
Open your terminal and follow these steps:

We will use a PPA for adding Pipewire to Ubuntu 20.04, which is maintained regularly:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:pipewire-debian/pipewire-upstream
To update the PPA packages in your system do:

sudo apt update
Install the package:

sudo apt install pipewire
There is also a dependency needed to be installed with Pipewire, otherwise you will face the issue of “Bluetooth headset won’t connect after installing pipewire”. Install the dependency by:

sudo apt install libspa-0.2-bluetooth
Now, to install the client libraries:

sudo apt install pipewire-audio-client-libraries
Reload the daemon:

systemctl --user daemon-reload
Disable PulseAudio:

systemctl --user --now disable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket
If you are on Ubuntu 20.04, you also need to “mask” the PulseAudio by:

systemctl --user mask pulseaudio
I am not sure but, if possible, you can try to run this on other versions too.
9. After a new update of Pipewire, you also need to enable pipewire-media-session-service:

systemctl --user --now enable pipewire-media-session.service
You can ensure that Pipewire is now running through:

pactl info
This command will give the following output, in Server Name you can see:

PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.28)
Things should be working by now and you can see your microphone.

If it doesn’t show up, then try restarting Pipewire by this command:

systemctl --user restart pipewire
Edit: You need to uninstall ofono and phonesim from your system if you have them installed.

sudo apt remove ofono
sudo apt remove ofono-phonesim
If it’s still not showing your microphone, you can try rebooting once and remove and pair your Bluetooth device again to check if it works now.

I hope I have helped you solve your problem.

If you want to rollback all the changes we did, you can do it by using:

systemctl --user unmask pulseaudio
systemctl --user --now enable pulseaudio.service pulseaudio.socket

5 Likes

Thanks for this great sum up :heavy_heart_exclamation:

Would you mind to create a tutorial?
This will benefit other forum members greatly in future :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I pinned this to my browser for reference TYSM