Zorin os 15 to 16?

I want to know that when zorin16 will officially be available?
and
when it's officially available its will update automatically with the help of a pre-installed software-updater app or do I need to install it manually?

1 Like

Good question, but there is no answer only speculation. However, Z16 Core Beta is reportedly good and stable right now.

See this:

if I install the Zorin os 16 beta version manually may I need to delete all my data from the disk?

If you are using Linux, you can backup your personal files/settings by copy your Home folder. You can then copy back data after installing a new OS.

is there any option available where i create seperate partiton like windows?

If you were to install the same OS you can choose to not format your /home partition during installation to retain data.
However, Z16 is not same OS as Z15, so I don't think that is viable. Others on here may be able to confirm or otherwise.

1 Like

It's the same on both. They are different but not that different.

if i not formate the disk then zorin15 remains on the disk,then you have two OS in one disk, here am i right?

would you recommend to install zorin 16 or Do i need to wait when its officially available?

I am talking about not choosing to format the "/home" partition thereby retaining your personal files. You would still format the "/" i.e. root partition.

See this:

2 Likes

I am new to Zorin I don't have knowledge of the filesystem of Zorin.
means when you install Zorin. a partition is created with the name "/" so I need to formate the "/" partition?

the (/) symbol refers to a Directory.
So if you refer to the Home directory, it would be: /home.
When you see just / - this refers to the Top Level directory: Root. This is the topmost directory that contains all other directories.
When you install as / then you install all directories in One Partition.
The topmost directory is / which occupies one partition.

A directory tree shows a path that you take to reach a directory within a directory. For example, you create a User name that is Your Home Directory within /home. Within that you may have a /Music directory or Music folder containing a file named bach.mp3. The path to that file would be /home/$USER/Music/back.mp3. Where $USER means *your actual user name you created when you installed Zorin. *
What Zabadabadoo is describing is installing root on one partition but the /home directory on a separate partition so that any reinstallation of root can be done separately from /home, preserving your /home directory contents on the new installation of the new Root.
I admit, I have done this once and I found it more trouble than it is worth... I just backup my Home Folder contents so that if I must reinstall, I restore the back up.

This depends on how patient you are.
But if you are learning Linux now... Why not both?
You can install Zorin OS 16 beta now and use that time to practice making back ups and practice on the system. That way, if any mistakes fill the error logs - you know it will be replaced with a fresh install of Zorin OS 16 (full release) later. And it will allow you to have Personal Data backups when comes time to reinstall for the Full Version.

2 Likes

If you use the "Something Else" method of installing ZorinOS, you should have "/", "/home" and swap partitions set up.
See this: Partitioning during installation

Also if you are new to Zorin this thread may worth a look:

Also there is an unofficial manual for Z15 here:

1 Like

how do I know that /home is on a separate partition?

1 Like

Zabadabadoo posted some links just above your post with some good walk-throughs and guides on that.

1 Like

thank you mechanic.. :grin:

1 Like

The same thing I ask myself, I want to know the exact date they should give one, supposedly it is in July, and today we are at 22 and there is no date

1 Like

the fruits of patience are sweet. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes