Zorin OS 16 Youtube framerate off intermittently

I'm having a similar problem. My laptop doesn't freeze, but the frame rate of the youtube video (amazon prime video does the same) drops from time to time. It's a mild problem, but annoying as well.

Are you using scaling or fractional scaling?

No scaling. I noticed that the problem happened with fractional scaling, but I turned it off. The problem is: when on a Discord call and trying to watch something, the framerate drops. I don't think the problem is my computer, when on Windows it doesn't happen

What is your refresh rate?

1 Like

I can't see it on the settings page, but I think it's set on 60Hz

You might try testing 70hz.

Are you using Nvidia Graphics card?
The next possible culprit would be gnome-extensions. You can disable all of them using gnome tweak tool

sudo apt install gnome-tweaks

and see if the framerate improves with all extensions disabled. If so, then we can try to narrow down which one is the cause.

I'll try doing it. Maybe that's the problem.
I don't use Nvidia Graphics card. My laptop has a Radeon RX Vega GPU

1 Like

Are you using the proper drivers?

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

1 Like

So, I never tried updating any of them. I will run the codes and see if the problem goes away

I ran the commands on the terminal and rebooted my laptop (don't know if it was necessary). Is there a way to know if I'm using the right drivers? (Sorry for the poor knowledge, I'm still getting used to Zorin. Only have a month using it, being a life long windows user)

Once you ran the commands, the updated drivers are now in use. You can check with the terminal command:

sudo lshw -C video

1 Like

Okay, I had the opportunity to try things out. Not the GNOME Extensions, even with all turned off, the problem remains. Tried two browsers (Brave and Firefox) the problem remains. Updated the drivers, even then, the problem remains. I don't have any idea of what I can do to solve the problem.

DO you have a dedicated onboard (intel) graphics card, as well as the AMD?

Nope, AMD only

Do you use conky? I wonder if a head up display may help you monitor all background processes when YouTube has its intermittent stalling.

No, I don't. I'll try installing it.
(By the way, I'm really grateful for all the help you're giving).

1 Like

If you have never used conky - it can seem intimidating... Don't worry, it is a lot easier than it looks.

sudo apt install conky-all

Grab the conky manager to make life a little easier:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:linuxmint-tr/araclar

sudo apt update && sudo apt install conky-manager conky-manager-extras

You can remove the conky-manager-extras from that command, if you want.

Once done, you can try using *any number of * existing conky scripts out there -or I can set one up for you to use.

This code gave me this response in the console

> Cannot add PPA: 'ppa:~linuxmint-tr/ubuntu/araclar'.

The team named '~linuxmint-tr' has no PPA named 'ubuntu/araclar'
Please choose from the following available PPAs:

• 'focalbase': focalbase

Ok, thanks Mint...
Let's try this one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tomtomtom/conky-manager

Now
sudo apt update && sudo apt install conky-manager conky-manager-extras
gives me back:

E: Impossible to find conky-manager-extras package