Zorin OS 17.1 r2

Hi everyone!

We wanted to give you a heads-up that we're currently uploading a newly revised set of Zorin OS 17.1 .iso files with the -r2 label. You'll be able to download them from our website soon after our official download mirror servers have completed syncing the .iso files, most likely within the next 24 hours.

This is a minor revision of Zorin OS 17.1 which includes the following changes out of the box:

• The latest software updates and security patches are pre-installed.
  • Newer hardware drivers including the updated NVIDIA 550 driver, which adds support for the following graphics cards out of the box:
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 D
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER
  • Now includes the APT version of Firefox by default (provided directly by Mozilla), instead of the Flatpak version from Flathub.
  • Many other bug fixes and quality-of-life improvements throughout the system.

Starting today, users upgrading from Zorin OS 16 -> 17 through the Upgrade Zorin OS app will also have the APT version of Firefox installed by default instead of the Flatpak version, in line with the upcoming r2 release of Zorin OS 17.1.

22 Likes

That's nice. Going to grab one while it's hot!

I see Core r2 has hit the kernel.org mirror already; are there updated files for Education and Lite on the way, or is this just for Core?

EDIT: never mind, answered my own question by checking the Web World mirror: yes there are r2 files for Education and Lite!

Oh, yes! That is a good Thing!

7 Likes

Hi, Kyrill. Thanks for the excellent communication. Very good.

Just two questions, though, please:

1. What about the Zorin OS Pro ISO? Is that updated, too? I just checked my Pro download link, and I don't see an updated name for the ISO as I see is the case with the Core version with the "-r2" label. Please clarify.

2. Any idea on when the additional files and whatnot will be made available through the Software Updater, so we all know when we'll be updating to the latest version of Zorin OS that'll constitute the "-r2" version?

Thanks again. Appreciate it.

EDIT: Disregard my first question. I did a search, and found this.

1 Like

Hi Omnimaxus,
The Pro isos have been updated and are live on the download servers.
We will be updating the checksums on the website shortly.

Regarding updates, the latest package versions are available from the Software Updater. Users upgrading from Zorin OS 16 to 17 using the Upgrade Zorin OS app will also have the latest updates and the APT version of Firefox.

Please note that existing users who have the Flatpak version of Firefox installed will not be automatically migrated to the APT version.
If they wish to install the APT version they will need to follow the instructions on Mozilla's website: Install Firefox on Linux | Firefox Help

4 Likes

I think it is good that Flatpak and Snap are there as options for users, but the existence of multiple package management is not easy to understand for users migrating from Windows. So applications essential to a desktop OS, such as a web browser, should be native.

I am glad that user feedback was incorporated into the development of Zorin OS. :smiley:

3 Likes