Zorin Os 17 release

Raspberry Pi 400 is a different product than Raspberry Pi 3/4/5. Bumping version numbers is indeed infrequent (by large margins I mean).

I think, it was less about it being a big leap, and rather about changing the format from 3.x to 4x.

2 Likes

This thread has some answers although I still find it a bit weird how much they deliberated over something that is supposed to be descriptive of where the project is at.

2 Likes

Those desktop templates presented by Zorin Os, which allow you to easily customize it (either as traditional Windows, Windows 11, Ubuntu, etc.), are they Zorin's own? I ask because I think I've seen them in Manjaro.
Is it possible to find them in GNOME extensions?

Actually, it's the other way around. Manjaro copied it from Zorin. And yes, I think they are provided by Zorin, so you cannot find them in extensions.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Adding transparency to Zorin Core using Compiz

Tomorrow is the day! Hooray! :metal:

3 Likes

The problem the names software what you talking. Not all working with them. This software is some emulations but don't gived you 100% working a software. Besides it difficult to settings then example Lutris. Wine. If Zorin is for beginners then I am ok with that. I know on Zorin very good working Steam with emulation Proton. I am proud the Zorin show me how simple I can changing customization desktop also software what exist on linux distributions. It is very usefull to learning many things. Linux isn't hard to repair what I cannot sayed with Windows this never version. Apple for me is very closed like people in the cave. It is good for people using to them purpouse and they are happy with them.

1 Like

I will drinking tomorrow cheers for that. I mean fiesta.

1 Like

So, are we going to be able to use the updater in Zorin 16.3?
And would going for a complete reinstallation still be a lot better over all?

Yes, the Zorin Upgrader Tool will work for upgrading Zorin OS 16 to Zorin OS 17 directly without performing a fresh install.

I always recommend it. While the Direct Upgrade has its perks, it is a time consuming process (taking several hours as opposed to a fresh install taking thirty minutes or so) and any repositories or packages installed that are not upgradeable to Jammy may break.
A fresh start does wonders.

3 Likes

Yes, I was afraid to hear that. :yum:

The problem is, I spent quite a few hours during last week making everything fit like a shoe, including the GUI setup, fiddling with extensions, getting WWAN to work, you name it.

I am wondering if reconfiguring all that (if I can even piece it all together again) will take longer than the direct upgrade. After all, however long it might take, it can just chug along on the side and will likely require less interaction, no?

1 Like

If you have the time to kill and a good book to read (Or doom scrolling on your phone), you might just test the direct upgrade and see if everything (any additional extensions you installed) still works. If so, consider it a win and the boon of Zorin OS now offering that option.
But if not, fresh installation can be a fallback.

6 Likes

As I plan on having ZorinOS 17 on my main computer for the foreseeable future, I plan on doing a fresh install.
I have 16 just the way my family likes it, but after playing around with the beta, it will be no problem to recreate what I have in 16 again in a few minutes. Maybe even make a few changes that will enhance everyone's experience.
I will just make sure I have the few things I need backed up, then I can be sure I have a fresh install for the future.
This seems like the cleanest way to go.

2 Likes

Just backup all good things and then installation fresh installation. I remember harvey or storm I don't remember exactly,remember he put guide how to backup home partition, without delete them and installation a fresh installation Zorin OS.
I remember when Windows was on the earth, the fresh installation was normal for us ,when coming up new version. I know i remember when I updated mint,this also was problem with some package and mint was more unstable.

2 Likes

Mint's upgrade tool on LMDE and the Ubuntu version work great. I suspect it will work just fine for Zorin too.

IT'S OUT! DOWNLOAD IT NOW! :heart_eyes:
https://mirror.webworld.ie/zorinos/17/

2 Likes

For me "17 is OUT...."

...when the Pro is available and upgradable flawless from 16.x :wink:

2 Likes

PRO will be available later this day when devs will update ZOS website page, atleast CORE is ready :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will also wait for the Pro version and then install it directly on my four systems. While I don't need most of it, I believe one can financially support open-source projects when satisfied with the software.

6 Likes