Zorin Os 17 release

Hello:Hello:
Does anyone have any information regarding Zorin 17, which is scheduled for release this year?
If not, where can one find out anything about its features?
Thank you very much.
Alexandros

Does anyone have any information regarding Zorin 17, which is scheduled for release this year?
If not, where can one find out anything about its features?
Thank you very much.
Alexandros

2 Likes

gday @alexandros ,
Please try search the forum, as you will see "subscribing to the news letter" is the best way.

Moved to chat about Zorin

1 Like
3 Likes

Hello:
Thank you for the information.
One of the things that I have asked the Zorin development team to improve is the reporting.
It would be a simple matter if they would publish a monthly newsletter on the blog to let people know what work is being done. Spending a few minutes to share with the community each month would be beneficial for everyone.

4 Likes

You can also check blog.zorin.com which will have announcements regarding version changes, possibly release estimates.

Zorin 16 releases around August, so you may want to look more often around the end of July, August. While there is no guarantee that there will be news, it may be mentioned there then.

If you monitor the forum, anyone who alpha or beta tests will normally inform members that the OS is in that state, though they may not provide details. Unfortunately, that is all we all are capable of doing.

Please keep in mind that their current focus is direct upgrades and Zorin Grid... both of which the ZorinGroup has stated is important for the future of Zorin.

If you know anything about their releases, you will know that the test (alpha/beta) versions are all but production ready (this is their own requirement to ensure a stable, complete and reliable product). So those that do test, have little to report (except some aesthetic fixes for the most part). This may be the goal to include in 17, but that is speculative at best.

2 Likes

Anyone know how much cost will be Zorin 17?

I imagine it will be the same or slightly more, depending on if inflation has affected their area as well. This is one thing we may have to wait for the release announcement to learn.

1 Like

@337harvey Do you have any news on when Zorin OS 17 will be released? I'm very much looking forward to it!

I posted all information shared with me by the ZorinGroup. A release date was not discussed. Zorin 16 was released in August of that gives you any clue.

The ZorinGroup will not commit to a date until they have thoroughly tested (both by themselves and through the forum) the OS to remove most of the "bugs" from the OS. Stability and a positive UX is their standard. Until then, we will most likely be guessing.

Even 16 was suddenly announced for alpha/ beta testing, with no prior warning or date mentioned.

2 Likes

That post is from last year and still we have no upgrade method in sight. I installed Zorin 15 on my parents-in-law PC some years ago believing an upgrade solution would arrive before EOL (it was promised!) but still... no solution is being provided by the Zorin team, so I guess a new installation will be inevitable. At this point I'm wondering if I should invest again in Zorin (now an upgrade solution is promised for the upgrade from 16 to 17) or if I should switch to something like Linux Mint instead. I personally really like Zorin, it's beautiful and and I think it's perfect for not technical users and windows switchers. However an upgrade solution should be part of this kind of experience.

1 Like

I'm sure this upgrade between versions will come at some point. In the meantime if you want to play it safe and continue to enjoy ZorinOS with updates, version 16 is probably the best way to go. This ensures at least 3 more years of updates, even if the upgrade to the next major release is not possible yet.

However ZorinOS 17 is just around the corner, the scheduled release date is in June I think. If you can wait for that you'll have the latest ZorinOS version available, and probably the upgrade option will be ready for the next major release after that.

Has there been any word on when an alpha/beta will be released? And I know it was released in August, but does can remember when the first beta to Zorin 16 was available for people to test it? I am curious when we can expect the same for Zorin 17.

The alpha is usually offered to moderators and regulars. A lot of bugs are discovered and shared with the ZorinGroup. Then it is offered for beta testing by forum members, there will be an announcement for those that want to participate. Finally, after all of the fixes are implemented, the ZorinGroup issues the new version.

This is how 16 was released. Whether the ZorinGroup releases the same way this year I'm unsure, though they are not big on change when something works.

There are two goals this year, mentioned by the ZorinGroup. They want to provide direct upgrades in this release, understanding that this could be a deal breaker for many users if it isn't. The second is to provide a mostly problem free experience while implementing new features. If you know ZorinOS or the ZorinGroup at all, you know that they're releases, at any stage, are mostly bug free. They are particular about ensuring that even the alpha has little to be done. Because of this, and the limited number of developers, there are no dates provided.

They have offered that the second half of this year there will be Zorin 17. That's a potential six month release date. Not ideal, but from past releases an educated guess would be September. July would be the earliest we could possibly see word of the next release.

3 Likes

Yes, Zorin is indeed very well polished. I was asking when the Z16 beta came out so that I could have an idea of how long it took between the release of the Z16 beta and the Z16 final release.

It was about a month for alpha testing and two to three weeks for beta testing. Total about two months from alpha release.

2 Likes

Hello:
I love Zorin Os, both Core and Lite, in its pro version, are installed on my main computers and are the only ones I use on a daily basis.
Having said that, I have been asking the developers to improve the communication with the community for a long time now. I know that comparisons are odious but, in this sense, Linux Mint has it much better implemented. Every month they publish a newsletter with information about the project, and they even take the time to answer some questions from the community. Now, I imagine that the number of people working on Zorin Os must be small but, they could make the effort to follow a similar policy, the community would be very grateful for it.

1 Like

This has been the topic of discussion even between the moderators and ZorinGroup.

What isn't considered is what all they cover currently, without any assistance. They (the two of them) handle the OS Development, updates, website, forum, administrative paperwork (taxes and documentation in multiple countries), marketing and support for all pro/ultimate installations (which covers zorin 15 & 16 currently). That's a lot for any group, especially one that is comprised of only two individuals.

A third person is supposed to be added, in what capacity is unknown... most likely administrative. This will free up some time, though direct support requests are one of their most time consuming obligations.

Considering this, not knowing what governments require what documentation on what deadlines (including business documentation, taxes, legal documents, trademark renewals and copyrights), they do rather well. Whether you hear from them or not, they consider ideas shared on the forum and implement them.

They are here often, though they may not post. It gives them feature ideas and particular hardware support that requires their attention. They hear us.

Understanding this, we are interested in communicating to what end? Satisfy curiosity, hear what they are doing or to cover issues? Majority of the members want their curiosities about the next major release and its features satisfied. This was brought to them and answered Zorin 17 insights. They could talk with us, at the cost of feature research/implementation, support requests going unanswered and their legal requirements going unfulfilled. That's asking a lot of two people that do so much to make sure all of this runs smoothly.

Hopefully the third individual will allow more interaction, but until there are more people in the company, it isn't always possible though they'd like to interact more often.

Some things for thought.

5 Likes

Every company has a crucial moment when it must grow, otherwise it runs the risk of disappearing (there are many examples in the software world), it seems to me, from what I have seen, that Zorin is in this dilemma. Hopefully they will make the right decision.
The fact that so few people are working on the project is evidenced by how long it takes them to release a new version.
It would be very interesting if they left Ubuntu for Debian, which would give them many advantages, autonomy, among others (several distros have made this migration).
Thank you very much for taking care of my concern.

3 Likes

What Kernel will be in Zorin 17?

Thank you for the answer. It is reasonable. However with version 17 expected in June, the idea of upgrading to version 16 annoys me tremendously. Nevertheless, this weekend I read a bit of documentation to find out what is possible to do without completely deleting the contents of the partition where my copy of Zorin 15 is currently installed. This is something I have never done, but it seems that by installing a copy of Zorin 16 on a partition with Zorin 15 in it without formatting it, it is possible to keep the home settings, even without having created a separate /home partition. Does anyone confirm that this method works? Is there any way to export all installed applications (including snaps and flatpaks) to a list?