Zorin Os 17 release

Ubuntu has made it simpler by providing connector functions, essentially an API, for others to use it and build upon it. Debian is not so designed.

Without getting into the underlying code and framework, what is included, what can be changed and what should be changed, this is the simplest I can make it.

Debian was designed for simplicity and efficiency. Anyone that built upon that needs to "reframe" the interactions and troubleshoot any issues. Canonical had a team do this. Zorin's can, but it will take much much longer with only two people.

Why? If they had to go from Debian directly, they may not choose to use systemd, so would need another framework to connect the system processes to the kernel... one they may have to build to ensure stability and efficiency that they require of their work.

Of course, once it is initially created, maintaining and upgrading it would be less problematic, especially since they would know it intimately. Creating it could take years though.

Thanks. I didn't know there was that much more behind it. Especially since there are some Debian based distros out there from smaller teams, such as MX linux or Mint Debian edition. They're both Debian made user friendly. Which is I thought Zorin would do. I guess I was just hoping Zorin OS could switch to Debian eventually, since I'd like that a lot more than Ubuntu.

This is a pretty popular idea.

Being based on Ubuntu comes with some pretty nice advantages, though. And Zorin OS is not Ubuntu.

If you are referring to smaller teams than ZorinOS, I doubt it since there are only 2 developers dedicated to the project full time. I honestly don't know how MXLinux or Mint work in terms of development resources allocated but I've always been under the impressions those were relatively large projects.

I would also prefer using Debian but only if it makes sense. At the moment, I don't see thinks it's a good time to put in the time and effort into this if it's not going to make a significant impact.

I know of only one.

Elive OS is based on Debian and it is a One Person job.

1 Like

Come to think of it, I've heard of many distributions that start small like that but I'm not sure which ones continue to be actively maintained. I think maybe Garuda and Gecko Linux, that I can think of right now.

As well as Zorin

2 Likes

I love Zorin and have been using it since version 16 was first available.

The only concern could be because its based on a 'older' ubuntu version, does that mean that it doesn't receive kernel updates as often ? For example the current kernel is 5.15

I understand that Zorin 17 will be based on Ubuntu 22.04. In between major Zorin releases do we get regular kernel updates ?

Kernel updates bring new and enhanced functionality ? Such as updates to NTFS driver and GPU drivers (I have rx6700 GPU and would appreciate driver updates).

Apart from the regular kernel updates issue, its a very good distro and amazing that its developed by 2 people ! I will definitely be buying Zorin 17 Premium.

Just that niggling feeling that kernel updates are not that regular, am I wrong ?

Forgot the most obvious one :smiley:

Ubuntu releases long-term support (LTS) versions every two years. ZorinOS 16 is based on Ubuntu 20.04 which means that it will continue to receive updates regularly in the form of bug fixes, minor versions updates of packages, security updates, etc. Similarly, the Linux kernel also has long-term support versions, which ZorinOS uses.

So there's really no cause for concern about not using the latest version of Ubuntu so long you are within the expected maintenance period of the operating system and kernel. Unless, for whatever reason, you need some features that don't exist in the current versions of the kernel.

2 Likes

In my experience that may not be a bad thing.
Frequent kernel updates can be nerve racking and can cause breakages.

1 Like

With standardized hardware, frequent kernel updates should be unnecessary. In fact, it is not difficult to run a Linux OS on a desktop PC, but unfortunately not on a laptop.

Yes. If you take a look at your system, you will see that the kernel is, or should be, right around 5.15...-82 | 83.

You can check by uname -a in the terminal.

You can see what version it came from, if you haven't used apt autoremove by asking apt what's installed:
apt list --installed | grep linux-image-*
This will show you the images installed, going back to the original that came with Zorin 16 at release.

Each major release has kernel upgrades that leave it at or above the kernel version of the next Ubuntu base version.

2 Likes

Ubuntu you never know what happens tomorrow.
Debian is stable. I never reading some bad words about debian.
Mint in december will going to LMDE6.
I saw many new linux distributions going with Debian 12 bookworm.

Because the Developers of Debian aren't acting like they should be the next Computer gods.

Someone should tell canonical that they missed the window.... there isn't going to be another M$ or Apple in OSs. The next major playing field is the web, and Amazon and Google almost have that locked in.

2 Likes

Looks like I am currently on 5.15.0-50-generic #56~20.04.1-Ubuntu
not 5.15...-82 | 83. - is that correct ?

Previous versions:

linux-image-5.13.0-30-generic/focal-updates,focal-security,now 5.13.0-30.33~20.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

linux-image-5.15.0-48-generic/focal-updates,focal-security,now 5.15.0-48.54~20.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

linux-image-5.15.0-50-generic/focal-updates,focal-security,now 5.15.0-50.56~20.04.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]

Latest/newer kernels bring a couple of relevant updates I'd be interested in, better drivers for my GPU and NTFS driver fixes.

Mesa 23.1 Update

Paragon NTFS Driver

My point is that I'm potentially missing a couple of key kernel enhancements but that is probably to be expected coming to the end of Zorin 16. Zorin 17 is about to be released soon.

Will I be in the same place 18 months from now. Infrequent kernel updates means missing out on enhancements. Obviously there needs to be a balance between stability and kernel updates but what if its skewed 'too far' the other way (sacrificing enhancements for stability).

It really depends on your hardware and how you update.

If you use the software update application (gui), you may n not be kept as current as someone who uses the terminal.

Try sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade && sudo apt dist-upgrade
in the terminal. I did not add the yes flag so you can read what is being updated and choose whether to go through with it.

I didn't read the article, as it really had no bearing on this discussion, you can open a new thread if you really want to attempt to install it. If the dependencies of the new driver requires jammy, not focal (our current version), you would not be able to use it anyway.

Many have received updates to -82 kernel. This isn't unusual as it depends on hardware and the software you use. You aren't being left behind. Your system may have no benefit from the updates based on hardware and library use.

While optimizations can help, a newer driver may cause issues or not even be relevant to your card. Those new features may not even be supported by your card, as it is older than what is just being released.

This is a rabbit hole that never ends. If your system works and is stable, than do you really need the update?

Are you missing something? Possibly, but it may not be such a benefit that it is worth chasing, wasting time, space and possibly crashing your system before its all included.... for a two second increase in graphics processor computation?! 300ms increase in DRAM communication?! These aren't actual numbers for your hardware, it is a realistic representation of the optimizations you receive.

Very few updates make that much of a difference. If they do, they are normally included in the kernel updates to benefit everyone (AMD graphics drivers are included in the kernel) .

You don't go and get a new car every two years, do you? You don't get a new phone every six months, do you? You don't buy a new computer every time a new processor or gpu is released, do you? Then why do you need the bleeding edge in software, especially since new software releases (OS systems included) have the most bugs. Wouldn't you prefer the system that has an OS that boots, without issue...a computer that recognizes and utilizes your hardware as it should... runs software without issue?

You could switch to a rolling release, but those are usually reserved and meant for developers. They know how to fix the issues they run into, sometime by recoding something in the kernel and recompiling it.

You are not missing anything. Don't let this get to you. Those drivers will most likely install themselves in Zorin 17, which will be based on jammy. Until then, enjoy your system, compute, learn and don't feel like you are being left out of something when, instead, you are being included in one of the most responsive, stable and reliable Linux OSs available.

2 Likes

I agree with harvey on this one, as I mentioned also in my previous post.

But for completeness, you may want to try out something like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed which is what's called a "rolling release distribution". This type of distributions will always receive the latest updates as soon as they are available, which means packages and kernel will be as up to date as they can be.
One area where you will see the clear benefits is with drivers, particularly for GPU. If you play games or do work that needs this, then you might want to try it out and see if it's for you.

The downside is that there's a risk that something may break because it's incompatible with another package, system library, etc. This is not as frequent as some people claim it to be but it does happen, and the issues it causes range from small annoyances to broken packages.
Another issue worth mentioning is that there are so many packages receiving new updates so frequently, that routine updates take a very long time. It gets annoying after a while.

1 Like

Actually... the way Linux users have been acting lately... It would be more accurate to say they want to get a new car every three months. Get a new cell phone every 30 days.

It seems like every year, Linux users cut their expectations of development time in half. And they want it allll for free.

Zorin or Ubuntu is too slow in their release cycle of 1.5 years and 1.8 years but Windows releases on average once every 6 years. Somehow, it's not good enough.

3 Likes

I blame all the Youtube videos and tech blogs that create and exploit the hype around whatever new cool tech is available, just to increase that juicy ad revenue.

1 Like

You actually understate your case. I agree with you and do not fault you... I am just saying that these simple words do not properly convey what a truly massive problem this is.
And I cannot think of any better way of conveying it.

Sometimes, I wonder if Star Trek got it right and we need to just get rid of the concept of Money altogether. Humans just cannot grasp the concept of letting go of greed.
And greed corrupts almost everything we ever try to do.

1 Like