Zorin Os 17 release

Thanks for the suggestion, but the kernel is not the problem in this case. It is the alsa-ucm-conf package, which is hopelessly outdated in the Ubuntu 20.04 repositories, and even in the Ubuntu 22.04 ones, like I described above.

I am aware of the general issues with drivers related to Windows having a near monopoly on the desktop :frowning:. In this case, however, the necessary hardware support has been made available upstream in the alsa-ucm-conf package almost half a year ago, but will most likely not be available in Zorin for several years more because of the strategy of using old Ubuntu LTS versions as the base system. This is the problem I am trying to highlight :slight_smile:.

I think that this is a pretty reasonable statement.

It is a lot more feasible to list minimum requirements than to constantly update a list of maximum requirements, however. The Minimum is readily known, whereas the maximum brings about a heavy risk of the unknown. It could change at any time.
This makes setting maximum requirements as an unreasonable task - even if it is a completely reasonable expectation by the user.

New Hardware that is lacking in driver support is not very common.
Most manufacturers want their product to be successful and for it to work. Their goal is for it to be in as many machines as possible. So it is in their best interests to get their drivers distributed.
It is in Distros best interests to do the same.

If hardware is having a hard time being supported (Whether because it is new or because it is obstinate) usually comes down to factors of how that hardware is coded and programmed.
Alsa_ucm_conf...
I did some looking... Debian Bookworm offers version 1.2.8
Ubuntu 23.04 offers 1.2.6
Apparently... Version 1.2.9 is very new...
What a tricky spot to be in to have such a strict dependency requirement.

1 Like

All those distributions that you've mentioned are, broadly speaking, meant to be used with the latest possible versions of software and kernel updates. ZorinOS is simply not for you, and that's ok :slight_smile:

LMDE arrives within weeks. LMDE 6 Beta is already out. I am guessing by 30 September or 1 October is when LMDE 6 Faye will be released.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/

The answear is simple not all linux distribution working on all hardware.
Why blame Zorin where Zorin OS 16, was released on August 17, 2021?
Example the same time release my gpu October 13th, 2021
It is impossible the same time exist a drivers.
Here are compatible linux distribution with my gpu.

We also know Zorin new version is always 2 years ago after new released version linux.
Besides isn't we have a webside https://linux-hardware.org/ ???
I know I am not a angle here , but sometimes when i reading some post like except a perfect perpetuum mobile.

Currently, we are in an unusual time: A transition between GTK3 and GTK4.
Let me make a statement:
GTK3 was released in 2011.
GTK4 was released in 2020.

Are these packages old? Outdated? Obsolete?
No. Because they are active and maintained. GTK3 lasted a 9 year cycle, with many improvements, additions, fixes and patches (that are still being administered, even.)
Zorin OS 17 will undoubtedly be using GTK4.

Zorin OS is built on the premise of helping users introduce themselves to GnuLinux and the best chance at success at that is to make it as stable as possible.
That everything just works - for the majority of users.

For a user with the newest hardware that needs newer drivers; they may have no choice but to use a different distro. But - they could still use Zorin Apps and Themes on that distro.
But now, they cannot - because the rolling releases are all on GTK4. Zorin Themes are still GTK3.
When Zorin OS 17 is released, then the Zorin Themes will include GTK4 (as well as GTK2 and GTK3). And then, users that like Zorins apps and appearance can use them on other distros, once again.

It is important to remember that these transitions cycle every several years or so. And they require patience.

Not very long ago, on Zorin OS 15 and on 16, no one was making these complaints. The hardware manufacturers had not gotten competitive in the wake of a Supply Chain disruption and GTK4 was still an unreleased twinkle in Gnome Devs eyes.

Today, there are these comments and complaints. Tomorrow, they will settle down as the newest hardware and newest software versions also settle in for the long run into the next cycle...

3 Likes

I loaded Ubuntu-Desktop on Linux Mint Cinnamon (Ubuntu version) and loaded most of the same compatible extensions that are on Zorin and made a 22.04 LTS Zorin version of my own using Mint as the base. Seems to work just fine - for now anyway. It has the Mint software store with Flatpaks and seems to work well sans Snap packages. (I may install Snaps just to have ALL available software like on Zorin-proper.) It was not much work - about 15 minutes at most of tweaking. Anyway, just a thought for those that want a newer base if interested. It really does not matter since Zorin provides PPAs for some newer packages like LibreOffice. You can do the same exact thing with just regular Ubuntu but if you don't like Snaps, you have to remove them and then go through the hassle of installing Flatpaks. I just like having Mint's Cinnamon desktop along with the Zorin look too in one distribution. Almost nirvana. It's only been 1 day so lets see how it goes for the next several days.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think you are right that I will have to go down that route. I'd rather stay on Zorin if I could, but it is what it is :slight_smile:

Yeah, I agree that it is harder to specify maximum requirements.

However, Zorin has chosen a strategy where it knowingly will not provide updates to many packages for multiple years, until the next major version of Zorin has been released (and, in my unfortunate case, I have to wait until the next 2 major versions of Zorin have been released to get the update I need to make my microphone work!).

I think it would be good to communicate this general issue to users on that requirements page somehow. It doesn't have to list all unsupported hardware or anything, it should just communicate that support and bugfixes for some kinds of hardware have multi-year delays, so that users are aware of this consequence when choosing Zorin.

Of course operating systems cannot ship with drivers for hardware that do not exist at that time :).

Drivers and such for existing operating systems are usually made available around the time that new hardware is released. For Windows, often in downloadable form from a website, or via Windows Update. For Linux, usually via kernel and package updates.

This is an assumption, really. I can understand setting your expectations so as not to be disappointed... But I will fallback to the most common example used:
Zorin OS Lite 16 is based on Xubuntu 20.04. Xubuntu 20.04 uses XFCE 4.14. Zorin OS Lite 16 uses XFCE 4.16
Zorin OS 16 has been steadily using the same kernel as 22.04 (In general. 22.04 has now jumped ahead. But it is a higher version than 20.04 ever used).

ZorinGroup sets the base OS to build Zorin OS on. This does not mean that Zorin OS is a reskinned Ubuntu. It isn't.
The developers try to get Zorin OS to reasonably cover the broadest range of users.

This statement is not much different than what I pointed out above. Where do you draw the line? It doesn't matter where you draw it, someone will complain that their item was not included in the list. Eventually, the list must be one that includes all hardware and is updated by the hour.
As I said, what you are describing is not a common issue, at all.

3 Likes

Much as I complained that Zorin probably isn't the best for Linux gaming. I still think it's probably the best distro for most people.

Just did a re-install and reminds me when I first installed it 2 years ago. Super easy install, looks polished, stable, everything just works. I know I'll be sticking with Zorin (gaming will be in Windows).

Looking forward to Zorin 17. I wouldn't mind paying abit more extra on top of the Pro price for early access.

2 Likes

When ZorinOS 16 got a kernel update there were many who thought that version 17 was released, or that it was reworked to use Ubuntu 22.04 as its base. Plenty of news articles were written and videos uploaded to Youtube. As a result, many threads were opened here in this forum with problems caused due to this exact reason.

So, even people who do this as a full- or part-time hobby/job i.e., for money, got it wrong. Now imagine having to maintain such a list. It would be huge and constantly being updated. It would be very easy for people to be mislead due to outdated blog posts or videos or cached search results or links to old threads, etc. Not to mention the time it would take just to maintain this list...

It's just not feasible. The best way to test the hardware is to run Linux from a live USB, without installing or comiting to anything.

3 Likes

I can sayed it isn't taken exam live usb Zorin. After installation system is more unstable. Before working ok on live usb. Besides I talking on newer machine pc what this version Zorin cannot support.

That's not my experience, and I also never heard of hardware running less stable after installing... not that stability and compatibility are the same thing either way.

I find it hard to believe that a bootable ISO has support for modern hardware, only for that support to disappear during installation. Most likely, you chose the wrong option that resulted in a more minimal installation than what you expected.

2 Likes

I installing Zorin 16.3 Pro and this is not support my graphic card.
What kind modern hardware we talking?
I checked on webside with hardware linux compatibility.
Motherboard: msi mag B560 torpedo MAG B560 TORPEDO
Audio: ALC897
Bluetooth: Cambridge Silicon Radio Ltd. USB\VID_0A12&PID_0001&REV_8891
LAN:RTL8125Ethernet
RAM: G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-3200 C16 DC - 16GB
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e V2 (ATX3.0
NVME: Samsung 980 EVo
SSD: Crucial 500 GB
HDD: IronWolf 2TB
CPU: intel i5 10500
GPU: Radeon rx 6600 8GB
Mouse: Logitech
Keyboard: HyperX Origins Alloy Core
Microphone: HyperX QuadCast S RGB
DAC: K.GUSS K-3 Chipset: CM6642+CS8416+CS4398+TPA6120A2+NE5532P+OPA2134PA
Here is my hardware.
I gived a tried in new pc hardware. I don't complain on older hardware.
Reddit - Dive into anything

You need to install newer kernel to get the driver for that AMD cards. There's already many threads on how to do it.

2 Likes

I really don't know anything about graphics cards, but my understanding is that this is one culprit for Linux distributions. It's probably more noticeable on distributions meant for stability and long term support like Debian derivatives.

But my point was that it's really easy to just give any Linux distribution a try via a bootable image. In the vast majority of circumstances this will be enough to check if the hardware is supported or not.
Maybe a disclaimer is in order regarding the commonly expected issues with graphics cards, without getting into much detail about which specific brands and models are more likely to need some post-install attention. But then we should also make sure this reaches other Linux distributions, otherwise ZorinOS will look like the only one to blame and dissuade users from even trying.

The diffrents live usb Zorin Pro isn't the same what full installation Zorin 16 Pro.
I checked and not working properly.
The conclusion is simple.
That why i waiting for new version Zorin.

On Fedora was working without problems because kernel is higher.
I am now on old personal computer.
The new pc don't have any operating system now.