Zorin Os 17 release

Oh, well, Gnome 42 is also pretty good I guess :cry:

Zorin OS tends to not adhere strictly to the Ubuntu base. Ubuntu is used as a base but Zorin OS is not re-skinned Ubuntu.

As an example, Zorin OS 16 Lite arrived with XFCE 4.16 out of the box, but Xubuntu 20.04 was released with XFCE 4.14.

It is too early to tell what Zorin OS 17 will include. Some factors may include extension compatibility as well as other in-house developments. As well as whether a workaround for LibAdwaita is necessary for the distinct Zorin OS Look and feel.

5 Likes

Good point and correct. Going to Gnome 43 or 44 would also resolve bugs existing in Gnome 42.

Wonder if xfce will have to change its name to wfce once it adopts Wayland! and Xubuntu will become Wubuntu! (Have you noticed the backward step? X to W! :rofl:

3 Likes

Wubuntu already exists :smile:

Well you learn something new everyday! I've already got that look on my KDE Neon HDD:

1 Like

Xfce is an odd duck. Interestingly, in January this year 2023, a point release for MX Linux upgraded to the Xfce desktop to 4.18 from 4.16 with Debian 11. So when the Bookworm Debian 12 released in June 2023 not even 6 months later, the desktop had no changes since it was the same desktop but the packages did upgrade. I suspect the dependencies are not critical with Xfce. I don’t know the inner workings of how that works.

https://mxlinux.org/blog/xfce-4-18-will-be-coming-to-mx-21-main-repos-this-weekend/

I'm looking forward to 17. I left 16.2 for Mint 21.2 in Sept 23, not because Zorin was bad, but because of it's serious wake from sleep issues disappearing icons from the desktop. Mint is good, but the last major update collapsed the install, and I had to reinstall and recover. The new direct upgrade is a huge carrot to come back, but I need to know my desktop is stable. I've happily paid for 15, 16 and will follow with 17 irrespective of how stable it is, largely because I support their effort, and I highly recommend both Zorin and Mint to Windows migrants. I also promote the permanent move from Windows to mentally compatible Linux variants, and Zorin is in the top two.

6 Likes

Yes! My mistakes with a name they a near "names".
I have installed Mx Linux this never version and i was little dissapointing. Every time i taken some problems.
Someone sayed what administrator then the same linux what he operating.

My two (or 3) favorite distributions; Mint Cinnamon Ubuntu version, Linux Mint Debian Edition, and Zorin OS. Solid and always reliable. I never have to troubleshoot anything to use Linux on my PC with these distributions.

1 Like

Mint and Zorin for me. I testing many distributions.
Of course if you want learning linux and get your machine faster then gentoo and lfs with blfs. Of course don't forget correct settings kernel to your preferences. You can also using a some kernels what exist on github lts or rolling.

I really want to like Linux Mint, but every time I tried it I've been disappointed in one way or another. The latest attempt was with the Debian edition and caused an unexpected boot loop after a routine update, forcing me to install from scratch.

For me, I really like OpenSUSE Tumbleweed, Pop!_OS and Debian. For ease of use I recommend ZorinOS or MXLinux, even though in my experience the Gnome desktop environment seems to be the most intuitive to run for non-tech savvy people.

This all linux distributions are the same kernel, the same desktops only package manager could be diffrent. That all.
Mostly all that linux distributions are fork from debian or arch.

1 Like

That's only true in theory. In practice, different operating systems may tweak the kernel parameters or even use a different version of the kernel entirely. The same is true for the desktop environment, in terms of version as well as theming and other customization aspects. Therefore we should focus on the out-of-the-box experience, which is paramount.

1 Like

I have been using Mint on-and-off for about 4 years but for about the last 18 or so months I have used Mint and Zorin OS the most. I also used Pop!_OS for a year on my desktop and liked it but found I liked Zorin OS better. I have been using LMDE 5, and now LMDE 6, and it has been splendid. I think I prefer LMDE over the Ubuntu version but since I use both, I don’t see that much of a difference from my perspective which is subjective. I really like Kubuntu and Tuxedo OS too with their KDE plasma desktop but the simplicity/elegance of the Cinnamon desktop keeps me on Mint. The only GNOME distribution I have liked so far is Zorin OS with their tweaks and polish. Manjaro’s GNOME is a close second. Ubuntu proper is good too and easy to tweak to look like Zorin and it works great. However, their software center works great one day and stalls another day - I got tired of it being so clunky with Snap updates. The new one is supposed to be better. I don’t dislike Ubuntu but it takes more effort to keep it running. The peace of mind you get from using Mint or Zorin make them for me, the most practical Linux distributions. They are reliable distributions even for Linux veterans. I give Mint and Zorin a 10 out of 10. :v:

4 Likes

I was used Zorin to learning a linux. Then i starting distrohopping. Now I am on LMDE6 with Cinnamon. This is just doing what need.

1 Like

My favorite distribution along with Zorin. I think both distributions are developed in Ireland. :+1:

1 Like

Yes. I testing macos and watching what that rumor is about this operating system.
For me nothing special for simple user. Propably have special software to rendering video,create audio and cannot gaming.
Linux gived you a choice. That is awesome.

I was living in Ireland almost 2 years, best place to get drunk and go to rock concerts. People are really friendly and social there :crazy_face:

1 Like

Ireland creating good movies.

1 Like