Zorin OS boot issue

Can you please install the -83

sudo apt install linux-image-5.15.0-83-generic linux-headers-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-5.15.0-83-generic linux-modules-extra-5.15.0-83-generic

Then ensure you are on 525 (proprietary)

Then boot to the grub Menu and select the -83 to boot from.
Select Advanced Options for Zorin then click on
Zorin on 5.15.0-83

Finishing booting will be your test...

I had troubles with Nvidia on the -84 and the -86 kernels. So, I have stayed with the -83 kernel and 525 driver.

(I know I said I would not reply right away - but I got held up with another emergency)

so everytime i have to go to advance option to boot the .83 kernel?

No no, you can set that like in Grub with grub_default=X where X would be the number in the list - remember that 0=1, 1=2, 2=3, etc. as before. So, I'm just gessing; if it is in order in the list, you should have .88, .87, and now .83 kernels. The 'third' option would be a number 4 - let's see if this helps:

0 = first kernel
1 = first kernel (recovery mode)
2 = second kernel
3 = second kernel (recovery mode)
4 = third kernel
5 = third kernel (recovery mode)

If that's a little too much, I would consider the grub saved option in the guide I posted - both will require a little work though. Just don't forget to issue sudo update-grub when finished editing /etc/default/grub.

yeah I did it when when you told me earlier but the default option in grub menu it was showing windows instead of another kernel.

I tried doing it but it showing me some failiures, ig u can know it well:

Gotcha, I would suggest the grub saved option to lock in the kernel.

Are you able to boot into the 83 kernel? You will need to select this from advanced start options first boot though. Then if it works well you can save that kernel to boot first with the above.

I tried it and now the default option highlighted is "Advanced Options". So now if I click "Zorin" button it will redirect me to .83 kernel, right?

GRUB_DEFAULT=0 should be back to normal - then follow the guide with 83 booted to save it as the default kernel. Misspoke on the default grub numbers - on me.

I was just saying to get to the new kernel installed 83, you'll have to use the advanced start options to get to it first. Then, if it works use the guide to set it for default boot.

Screenshot from 2023-11-04 14-08-35

Really short, at that - and the default 0 will be changed when the 'new' default kernel is saved as well.

so, should I set it to "saved" then??

If you are in the 83 working kernel, yes - do you have the guide open to follow along?

yeah, actually i did it and after that i opened "zorin" button, but i dont know which kernel i m actually running. So, is there any way to know?

Absolutely - use uname -r in the terminal, should show something like:

Screenshot from 2023-11-04 14-21-05

Obviously not that kernel version lol but that will display what you're using.

lol, my kernel is also the same after running that command:

like after i wrote that default kernel command...

:thinking: hmm.

What do you have in your grub? cat /etc/default/grub

When you were in the 83 kernel and ran the commands, did you issue sudo update-grub when finished to make changes take effect?

see this:

I'm wondering if maybe you weren't in the 83 kernel when setting. Reset the GRUB_DEFAULT=0 to normal, then update-grub, reboot, advanced options - 83 kernel, boot, then try again with saved options. Make sure you're in 83 with uname -r before editing though.

actually i did all the steps, but i'll try doing it again...

Oh I'm not doubting you at all - I'm a double-triple checker kind of person lol but not doubting you!

yeah no issues
actually i think i have did something wrong, so i am doing it again

actually i m new in linux stuff, so learning all that

1 Like

I tried it again...but showing the same kernel(.88) after rebooting

Do I have to reinstall the is again😂 ig this will be the only solution🥲