Zorin OS does not return after updating the system

I can see that there is a kernel update listed which is the most likely cause of the problem. I guess you have to use the apt-mark hold command to stop the kernel from being updated but I am not sure about that. Therefore, I'll have to ask @Aravisian to pop in. Until he returns, I advice you not to update your system.

Ok. I thought maybe the update was wrong. Although I had no problem on the other computers, I think I'll switch them all to the main server. I think if I updated it now, it would work. But I'll wait anyway. : ) I hadn't seen this before in the terminal, I always update through the terminal, but these last times I was using the software updater. Regarding the output of "apt update" do you think it would be a problem on Brazil's servers, is it necessary to notify someone?

They don't create problems most of the time. It also lets you download updates faster. But it is still not a thing that I recommend because it causes all sorts of errors. It may also cause issues when you try to install a software using the terminal.

Given that @jackclever has reinstalled about fifty times at this point... I would go ahead and try the upgrade as a test since switching to Main Server.
Those errors "failed to fetch" and "Wrong hash" were... unsettling. And very easily could be the source of the problem due to missing or corrupt files.

1 Like

I will then. : ) After the update I bring a feedback.

clever@Pc-ZorinOSCore:~$ sudo apt dist-upgrade
[sudo] password for clever:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
libfwupdplugin1
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libfwupdplugin5 linux-headers-5.13.0-41-generic
linux-hwe-5.13-headers-5.13.0-41 linux-image-5.13.0-41-generic
linux-modules-5.13.0-41-generic linux-modules-extra-5.13.0-41-generic
The following packages will be upgraded:
alsa-ucm-conf apt apt-utils bash bind9-dnsutils bind9-host bind9-libs bolt
command-not-found cpp-9 curl dbus dbus-user-session dbus-x11
distro-info-data dnsmasq-base firefox firefox-locale-en fonts-opensymbol
fwupd fwupd-signed gcc-9-base gir1.2-javascriptcoregtk-4.0
gir1.2-webkit2-4.0 gnome-shell-extension-zorin-connect
gnome-shell-extension-zorin-connect-browsers
gnome-shell-extension-zorin-menu gvfs gvfs-backends gvfs-bin gvfs-common
gvfs-daemons gvfs-fuse gvfs-libs gzip iio-sensor-proxy klibc-utils
language-pack-gnome-en language-pack-gnome-en-base libapt-pkg6.0
libarchive13 libc-bin libc6 libcurl3-gnutls libcurl4 libdbus-1-3
libdrm-amdgpu1 libdrm-common libdrm-intel1 libdrm-nouveau2 libdrm-radeon1
libdrm2 libegl-mesa0 libegl1 libevdev2 libexpat1 libfprint-2-2 libfribidi0
libfwupd2 libgbm1 libgl1 libgl1-mesa-dri libglapi-mesa libgles2 libglvnd0
libglx-mesa0 libglx0 libinput-bin libinput10 libjavascriptcoregtk-4.0-18
libjcat1 libklibc libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common libllvm12 liblzma5
libmysqlclient21 libnetplan0 libnss-systemd libnss3 libopengl0
libpam-systemd libpcre3 libpython3.8 libpython3.8-minimal
libpython3.8-stdlib libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc
libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gnome
libreoffice-gtk3 libreoffice-help-common libreoffice-help-en-us
libreoffice-impress libreoffice-style-colibre libreoffice-style-elementary
libreoffice-style-yaru libreoffice-writer libsensors-config libsensors5
libsepol1 libsmbclient libsqlite3-0 libssl1.1 libsystemd0 libtiff5 libudev1
libuno-cppu3 libuno-cppuhelpergcc3-3 libuno-purpenvhelpergcc3-3 libuno-sal3
libuno-salhelpergcc3-3 libwbclient0 libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 libxatracker2
libxml2 linux-firmware linux-generic-hwe-20.04
linux-headers-generic-hwe-20.04 linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04 locales login
mesa-va-drivers mesa-vdpau-drivers mesa-vulkan-drivers netplan.io
networkd-dispatcher openssh-client openssl openvpn passwd python3-apport
python3-commandnotfound python3-paramiko python3-problem-report python3-uno
python3.8 python3.8-minimal rsync rsyslog samba-libs sbsigntool snapd
systemd systemd-sysv systemd-timesyncd tar tcpdump tzdata
ubuntu-drivers-common udev uno-libs-private ure xz-utils zlib1g
zorin-exec-guard
158 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 541 MB of archives.
After this operation, 548 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

Let's cross all our fingers and toes...
And plan an yet another reinstall LOL

For sure! : ) Reinstalling multiple times is the least of the problems. Glad I still have internet. After the data allowance ends, the connection is very slow and I have to wake up very early (or in the middle of the night) to do this kind of thing. I live on a farm far from the city, here there is only internet via satellite. : )

@Aravisian Do you think this driver (390) works better than "Nouveau"?

I wouldn't know, actually. The best way to find out would be fore the user with that hardware to test it.

Maybe the update will take a little longer than I thought. I think my fast internet is gone. But once It is done, I'll get back to you. Thanks a lot for the help. : ) @Aravisian @Elegant_Emperor

1 Like

@Aravisian @Elegant_Emperor You will not believe the same problem again. I'm not going to lie, I'm already thinking about installing another distro, do you believe it? Zorin OS for me is unique, and truly the best experience I've ever had. But being without my main machine for so long has been difficult. Do you have any idea what it could be?

Is this AMD graphics? At this time, I no longer remember...

Screenshot_2022-05-17_17-01-21
@Aravisian :point_up_2:

1 Like

That is right... Nvidia.
Ok after installing Zorin, perform this action to lock in the Boot of the earlier kernel:

Then do your updates.
Reboot and test.
If the above works - it means it was the kernel and the kernel is locked in, preventing that issue.
If it does not work, then it is likely the Nvidia driver.

I would like to thank you for your attention. @Aravisian @Elegant_Emperor And I would like to say that I have already solved the problem. It didn't go the way I would have liked, installing Zorin. But I couldn't wait any longer, it had been a long time without my main machine. I found it strange that this happened. This same machine ran Zorin without any problems before this installation. The problem only happened after updating and installing the updates. Even after switching server to main server. And even having a different output, but after restarting the same problem happened. I had already changed the video card driver too. I couldn't wait any longer. Maybe I will try again in the future. Maybe with another machine, but at the moment I have a lot of work to do and I couldn't spend that much time without my main computer. Thanks a lot for the help. : )

2 Likes

There are many good choices available... Mint, Devuan, MX-Linux, Pop_OS... it's a long list.
What matters most is that your machine is up and running. :wink:

1 Like

I was happy to see your interest in helping me. @Aravisian In a way it renewed my hope in people. I think it's beautiful to see people happy with a linux distro come together in communities, and try to help each other. Thanks so much again for all the support. PS: I have installed Fedora. : )

2 Likes

I had an issue with Zorin 15 that was based on Ubuntu 18.04 - minimum graphics card was a GT730 (I had a GT720 card) so I upgraded to GT1030 - no issues.
Good luck with Fedora - one distro I cannot bear to use! :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.