Zorin stuck in login loop

so i was trying to login today to do stuff on my laptop and i put my password and then i get put back to the login screen
i tried googling the problem and tried the solutions given but nothing worked so i thought might post it here
im using the latest zorin core

Gday @beer , Welcome to the community!

Try here

1 Like

tried that one already,
didnt work

There is more than one solution given in that thread. Have you tried deleting Xauthority file solution?

1 Like

sorry for late response i was chugging beer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
ive tried every solution given on the guide and any other guide i could find
the xauthority file doesnt exist on my pc

If it's included with Zorin (I'm not in a position to look until tomorrow) it is a hidden system file. To show these on the terminal, type: ls -la. The l flag indicates long format, which may be helpful. a indicates all, including system files.

It should be in the root of your home directory (ex. ~/.Xauthority)

Ubuntu, in which Zorin is based, has moved away from that and now place them in /var/run/gdm/auth-for-<USER>-<RANDOM_CHARACTERS>/database. I don't know what would happen if you deleted the auth-for-* files.

1 Like

i dont get what you're saying, @337harvey

A recommendation was to remove the xauthority files. You said you couldn't find them. That is because it is a system file or it doesn't exist per my comment above. I share how you can determine if they are in use using the terminal, and if not, where the corresponding files can be located.

You can also tap ctrl+h to reveal the hidden (with a . in front of file name) files in your home directory.

ok, will try this
thanks for the suggestion!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.