Zorin takes a long time to boot

Hi, I am using Zorin 16 now.. But it is taking almost a minute to boot up,
My device Specs
Dual Booted with windows
Windows is in NVME, Zorin is in HDD
Ryzen 5 5600X
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
Gskill RipJaws V 8x2GB 3200Mhz

I faced the same issue with zorin 15.3 I ran systemd-analyze blame and got this result

59.797s networkd-dispatcher.service                                           
49.361s rtkit-daemon.service                                                   
40.741s snapd.seeded.service                                                   
33.065s plymouth-quit-wait.service                                             
12.972s snapd.service                                                          
 9.747s dev-sda2.device                                                      
 6.548s accounts-daemon.service                                      
 5.168s udisks2.service                                                        
 5.035s gpu-manager.service                                              
 4.687s ModemManager.service                                          
 4.362s apparmor.service                                                     
 2.929s NetworkManager.service                                                 
 2.802s systemd-sysusers.service                                              
 2.800s gdm.service                                                           
 2.574s avahi-daemon.service                                           
 2.495s grub-common.service                                           
 2.008s nvidia-persistenced.service                                  
 1.902s polkit.service                                                         
 1.776s grub-initrd-fallback.service                                  
 1.702s switcheroo-control.service                                  
 1.589s e2scrub_reap.service                                           
 1.390s systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                         
 1.315s systemd-sysctl.service   

Any idea on how to reduce the boot time..
Thanks.

Can you please try:

sudo systemctl disable NetworkManager-wait-online.service

and test.

1 Like

Doesn't help Still takes a minute..

1min 945ms networkd-dispatcher.service                                         >
   57.445s plymouth-quit-wait.service                                          >
   46.872s rtkit-daemon.service                                                >
   30.516s packagekit.service                                                  >
    9.923s dev-sda2.device                                                     >
    9.721s snapd.service                                                       >
    9.230s accounts-daemon.service                                             >
    8.447s udisks2.service                                                     >
    6.088s polkit.service                                                      >
    5.667s systemd-journal-flush.service                                       >
    4.791s avahi-daemon.service                                                >
    4.637s NetworkManager.service                                              >
    4.610s switcheroo-control.service                                          >
    4.609s thermald.service                                                    >
    4.606s wpa_supplicant.service                                              >
    4.605s systemd-logind.service                                              >
    3.434s ModemManager.service                                                >
    3.303s gdm.service                                                         >
    3.026s gpu-manager.service                                                 >
    2.450s systemd-resolved.service                                            >
    2.325s systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service                                      >
    2.317s systemd-udevd.service                                               >
    2.198s apparmor.service

Out of that list, the only other thing that really is safe to disable is Snapd.
Are you using any Snap Installed Programs?

VSCode

But why does it take so long? It wasnt like this before even 15.3 is slow

1 Like

I have vscode as well, just not as a Snap. By not running snapd service, you can shave more time off.
And looking at that snapd service above, it's quite a bit of time.

All I can do is redirect this question to the above posts. The analyse-blame and its results.

I'll try disabling snap.. But how to do that o_o

2 Likes

You said it yourself... Zorin is on HDD. HDDs are significantly slower compared to SSDs. The best thing to do is to move Zorin to your SSD and you will see that your boot-time will get reduced to 20 or less seconds.

3 Likes

I had a worse hdd before with i3 530 processor it was faster..

I have OS install on SSD it's take 28sec after unlocking the encryption. But after full boot up it's so smooth...

Still takes a minute :slightly_frowning_face:

I understand your point of view, but, the boot-time that you are experiencing is very standard for an HDD. I even suggest you to look up results of other people with various operating systems on HDDs and you will see that you have very comparable booting time.
I suggest you to shrink the partition that you have windows on and install Zorin on your NVME. It makes the OS faster as a whole... not only during the boot.
This is also what I have done. I have a 256gb NVME and I've allocated 60gb for Linux (More than enough) and the rest is for windows. Then I store backups and heavy sized applications on my HDD.

5 Likes

@anon37206250 said it. If you want magic to happen this is the magic.

3 Likes

Boot time actually doesn't matter.
Minute less or more is ok.

Especially if everything is smooth after full boot.

I prefer smooth experience after boot over fast boot :wink:

1 Like

Hey, I've installed Zorin on my SSD now the boot is extremely fast now.. 3.5 seconds.. But after the login screen i.e after I enter the password.. It stays in a black screen for some 20 seconds.. Is it normal or is there any issues?

That is normal for me. When I am in a big hurry, that moment reaching the actual login screen seems the longest...

Ohh thanks.. It is blazing fast till the login manager..

1 Like

When booting, if you press CTRL+ALT+D you can see the services that are being installed.

Where does it pause? Is it something that can be disabled?

3 Likes