Zorin Vs Debian

Hey Zorins

Im not a guru in linux, im using Zorin 16 now, and i have other laptop to test other distros.

I like to test Debian and Fedora, can anyone explain the main differences and why Debian is the "most wanted" and advantages i get using debian instead Zorin or even fedora?

My main laptop is Zorin with dual boot with windows.

Debian works well with nvidia graphics or even fedora?

Normal usage office and internet and steam game (FM 2021) already works well on zorin.

Thanks

If you are talking about "pure" Debian, the answer is NO.

Debian only uses open source which excludes many drivers such as Broadcom, NVidia to name a few.

The only Debian I managed to install successfully was on RaspberryPi, a headless server edition that was.

On Linux server, it is true.
Server does not require the latest graphics card driver nor the sound card. It is no designed to play game with. When the stability counts, it is difficult to beat Debian.

3 Likes

Im try to install debian11...

I didnt know that can't use nvidia drivers...

So pass to fedora.

1 Like

The proprietary drivers are in Debian non-free repository.

1 Like

Which I believe must be manually added to the sources.list.
Not particularly a beginner friendly distro.

Actually if you want to have an easy Debian experience I highly recommend Debian edition of Mint Linux or MX Linux.

Both are Debian based but beginner friendly.

3 Likes

Sounds like to me trying out Debian might be more trouble then its worth. I don't know why I assumed drivers would be loaded in the kernels for all Linux distro's. Clearly they are not from what I am hearing.

But hey, if your having fun, your having fun, I won't stop you. I just know for me, I wouldn't have the patience trying out an OS that might provide me nothing but problems.

Reason why I love Zorin OS and POP OS so much? They just work! :blush:

3 Likes

Yes, I would not consider Debian to be beginner-friendly.
If you are installing Debian on a machine that only has Nvidia as a dedicated graphics card, you must alter the .iso, yourself. Then burn it to a bootable medium.

Not at all. Certainly not for anyone who is not tied strictly to Nvidia.
Zorin OS is based off Ubuntu and Ubuntu is based off Debian.

Debian is rock-solid, stable and top o' the line. Even if it is not the go to distro for the casual gamer.

3 Likes

Indeed.
At the end of the day, that all counts.

3 Likes

Or install Debian without any desktop (server edition that is). Then add desktop + graphics card driver afterwords.

It is not that super difficult, but still I would not recommend it to the beginners.

2 Likes

Thanks for all

When i try install debian don't know why they never complete (need to get more debuging hours)

Im installing fedora for now, then when i done all the configurations and customs e will get back to debian.

And probably get back to Zorin .... ahahahah can't get of zorin

1 Like

I agree Pop and Zorin for me is the best distros....

I like FerenOS but they not get good performance when im testing.

2 Likes

I think you can also check out Linux Lite if you are looking for a light weight but still good looking distro.

1 Like

That was my experience with Feren OS as well as, Makulu Lindoze. Both OS's had memory leaks. And both developers showed no real interest in getting the memory leaks fixed.

The answer was very simple, go back to Zorin OS where I started from. But then Zorin OS 16 got severely delayed, and since I was buying a brand new machine this year, I needed a modern kernel, so I got onboard with POP OS.

But the truth is, I love both POP OS and Zorin OS, both of them are equal IMO. Both of them do great things, and both do them well. From your description, sounds like Debian is nothing but trouble, I say forget it lol.

There is a 50/50 chance that you will like Fedora. But ultimately, I think you will return to Zorin OS before the month is over lol.

2 Likes

Ahahaha

I already use fedora for a few months, now im writing from fedora with some tweaks that i learn on this forum.

But like you say after using zorin and compare to fedora the windows and colors is strange at my eyes.

Probably at the end of the weekend i will came back to Zorin :slight_smile:

But i will test some custom to put layout of zorin on fedora.

1 Like

I tried Fedora a few times, but never got used to the pure GNOME UI. In fact, Zorin is the only distro I can use Gnome without much tinkering.

2 Likes

Already test (just install for few hours) but is good for old laptops.

This old i guess is a good laptop for linux

/:-------------:\          m@fedora 
   :-------------------::        ------------ 
 :-----------/shhOHbmp---:\      OS: Fedora 34 (Workstation Edition) x86_64 

/-----------omMMMNNNMMD ---: Host: LIFEBOOK E751 10601409474
:-----------sMMMMNMNMP. ---: Kernel: 5.13.19-200.fc34.x86_64
:-----------:MMMdP------- ---\ Uptime: 36 mins
,------------:MMMd-------- ---: Packages: 1768 (rpm), 3 (flatpak)
:------------:MMMd------- .---: Shell: bash 5.1.0
:---- oNMMMMMMMMMNho .----: Resolution: 1600x900
:-- .+shhhMMMmhhy++ .------/ DE: GNOME 40.4
:- -------:MMMd--------------: WM: Mutter
:- --------/MMMd-------------; WM Theme: Adwaita
:- ------/hMMMy------------: Theme: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
:-- :dMNdhhdNMMNo------------; Icons: Adwaita [GTK2/3]
:---:sdNMMMMNds:------------: Terminal: gnome-terminal
:------:://:-------------:: CPU: Intel i5-2520M (4) @ 3.200GHz
:---------------------:// GPU: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor F
Memory: 2446MiB / 7800MiB

one thing that i cant install is popsicle, donnt know if because is a red hat and this from ubuntu?

1 Like

Indeed.
I am using Linux Lite on 11 years old Netbook with Atom CPU and 2GB RAM. There is not much choice of distro for this vintage machine.

1 Like

I am eating some Lime Chilli Shrimp Top Rommin right now, still eating infact. Once I am done, I am going to make a post at that thread that FrenchPress created. But for now, you can get the POP OS at Github, if your not finding it in the software center.

And yes, it should be in the Ubuntu repo, or at least you should be able to get it from Zorin OS software center, as well as POP OS itself.

2 Likes

Popsicle is pre installed on Fedora, but it is called USB Flasher :wink:

Popsicle is also in the Flathub: Flathub—An app store and build service for Linux

Also in the AppImage Hub: Popsicle – AppImageHub

Should be possible to install in almost any distro.

3 Likes

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
Thanks for this interesting tide-bits.
App image is a good solution if one do not want to commit anything. It does not really install itself and removing it is as easy as just deleting the file.

2 Likes