After reinstalling light dm Zorin reverts to old 18 Ubuntu and Pw login loops

Thx, maybe half a step ahead of you.
I had already tried using the live flash but could not work out how to get boot repair to work on my main drive. It only checked the demo.

I could not find anything about setting it via tty, so tried anyway, seems I can’t.

I also learnt that by pressing the up or down arrow keys we can go back through the last of actions in the TTY, actually, from terminal but sort of same thing.

Anyway, seems there were only a few actions prior to crash, most around the PPA and a couple of others which I don’t seem to be able to reverse or delete. I am still learning.

I Installed a new linux image but it is an older one, I tried being specfic in the version but it failed.

My very vague memory of last time good was when I was trying to open a TAR with terminal, and to CD from the tar to a folder, if you understand, basically, decompress I guess. It crashed around that time. I don’t remember exactly but had something to do with xzvf and MAKE.

I do not see how that could adversely affect your system. You didn't "rm -rf" anything?

Update:

• Tried to Boot repair from live cd, failed to be able to copy and paste the CD files, mouse kept moving.
  • tried using TTY for boot repair, failed
  • saw cat was sitting on second keyboard, realised why mouse was jerky
  • successfully started and concluded Boot Repair on main drive
  • reboot, partially successful.
  • now behaves and looks like Zorin loading with a full grub menu but still reverts to Ubuntu 1804 at finish and of course, login loops.
  • At start up some flash up message re Zorin files missing, need to see it a few times more- tomorrow
  • in recovery mode, check dpkg, still no candidate ver for the linux-image previously mentioned.

So am now thinking that darned image is the key. But I will sleep on it, and try again tomorrow.

Will only let you know when i succeed or have a question I can’t answer via the Internet.

Again, many, many thanks for everything.
p

2 Likes

Greetings again, still.
I am focused on this desktop issue, yet sudo apt-get zorin-os-desktop returs the error: unable to locate package zorin-os-desktop.
Is this part of another package?
I mean the image seems to suggest it is a sub of zorin desk top so should I be looking in there?

What command do I use to check what, if any desktop I have installed, how do I do what you did to get all that info you sent me?

What is synaptic? I don’t need tech details, I just read that, but how do I check for it, / use it in tty?
Cheers
p
p/s I used to get email notification when someone replied, that was very convenient. Don’t now. Has this been stopped?

I know I am using Zorin os 15.3- same as my other machines with a version code name bionic.

The kernel is 5.4.0-64 generic which ironically is the same that the recovery screen says there is no candidate for.

Your kernel version is correct. Synaptic install is just sudo apt install synaptic

Email notifications - there is this Email notifications? but other than that I live here, so I don’t use them. :crazy_face:

dpkg -s synaptic
Package: synaptic
Priority: optional
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 3248
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Architecture: amd64
Version: 0.84.3ubuntu1
Depends: libapt-inst2.0 (>= 0.8.16~exp12), libapt-pkg5.0 (>= 1.1~exp9), libc6 (>= 2.14), libept1.5.0, libgcc1 (>= 1:3.0), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.3.16), libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), libvte-2.91-0, libxapian30, hicolor-icon-theme, policykit-1
Recommends: libgtk2-perl (>= 1:1.130), rarian-compat, xdg-utils
Suggests: dwww, menu, deborphan, apt-xapian-index, tasksel, software-properties-gtk
Conflicts: menu (<< 2.1.11)

dpkg -s zorin-os-desktop
Package: zorin-os-desktop
Priority: optional
Section: metapackages
Installed-Size: 12
Maintainer: Artyom Zorin azorin@zoringroup.com
Architecture: amd64
Source: zorin-os-meta
Version: 1.4.10
Depends: alsa-base, alsa-utils, anacron, at-spi2-core, bc, ca-certificates, fonts-dejavu-core, fonts-freefont-ttf, fonts-zorin-os-core, foomatic-db-compressed-ppds, gdm3, genisoimage, ghostscript-x, gnome-calculator, gnome-control-center, gnome-logs, gnome-menus, gnome-session-canberra, gnome-settings-daemon, gnome-shell, gnome-shell-extensions-zorin-desktop, gnome-system-monitor, gstreamer1.0-alsa, gstreamer1.0-packagekit, gstreamer1.0-plugins-base-apps, gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio, gvfs-bin, inputattach, language-selector-gnome, libatk-adaptor, libnotify-bin, libsasl2-modules, libu2f-udev, openprinting-ppds, printer-driver-pnm2ppa, pulseaudio, rfkill, software-properties-gtk, spice-vdagent, ubuntu-drivers-common, ubuntu-release-upgrader-gtk, unzip, update-manager, update-notifier, wireless-tools, wpasupplicant, xdg-user-dirs, xdg-user-dirs-gtk, xkb-data, xorg, yelp, zenity, zip, zorin-desktop-session, zorin-os-artwork, zorin-os-default-settings
Recommends: acpi-support, adwaita-icon-theme-full, aisleriot, alacarte, app-install-data-partner, appstream-data-zorin-os, avahi-autoipd, avahi-daemon, baobab, bluez, bluez-cups, brasero, brltty, cheese, chrome-gnome-shell, cups, cups-bsd, cups-client, cups-filters, deja-dup, dirmngr, eog, evince, evolution, evolution-ews, file-roller, firefox, flatpak, folder-color, fonts-indic, fonts-kacst-one, fonts-khmeros-core, fonts-lao, fonts-liberation, fonts-lklug-sinhala, fonts-noto-cjk, fonts-noto-color-emoji, fonts-sil-abyssinica, fonts-sil-padauk, fonts-thai-tlwg, fonts-tibetan-machine, fonts-ubuntu, fwupd, fwupdate, fwupdate-signed, gamemode, gedit, gimp, gir1.2-gmenu-3.0, gnome-accessibility-themes, gnome-bluetooth, gnome-calendar, gnome-characters, gnome-clocks, gnome-contacts, gnome-disk-utility, gnome-font-viewer, gnome-keyring, gnome-mahjongg, gnome-maps, gnome-mines, gnome-power-manager, gnome-screenshot, gnome-software, gnome-software-plugin-flatpak, gnome-software-plugin-snap, gnome-sudoku, gnome-sushi, gnome-terminal, gnome-todo, gnome-weather, gpg-agent, gufw, gvfs-fuse, hplip, ibus, ibus-gtk, ibus-gtk3, ibus-table, im-config, kerneloops, laptop-detect, libnss-mdns, libpam-fprintd, libpam-gnome-keyring, libproxy1-plugin-gsettings, libproxy1-plugin-networkmanager, libreoffice-base, libreoffice-calc, libreoffice-draw, libreoffice-gnome, libreoffice-impress, libreoffice-writer, libwmf0.2-7-gtk, memtest86+, mousetweaks, nautilus, nautilus-sendto, nautilus-share, network-manager, network-manager-config-connectivity-zorin, network-manager-openvpn-gnome, network-manager-pptp-gnome, orca, p7zip-full, packagekit, pcmciautils, pitivi, plymouth-theme-zorin-logo, plymouth-theme-zorin-text, policykit-desktop-privileges, ppa-purge, ppp, pppconfig, pppoeconf, printer-driver-brlaser, printer-driver-c2esp, printer-driver-foo2zjs, printer-driver-m2300w, printer-driver-min12xxw, printer-driver-ptouch, printer-driver-pxljr, printer-driver-sag-gdi, printer-driver-splix, pulseaudio-module-bluetooth, quadrapassel, remmina, rhythmbox, seahorse, shotwell, simple-scan, snapd, speech-dispatcher, system-config-printer, totem, vino, xcursor-themes, xdg-utils, zorin-appearance, zorin-appearance-layouts-shell-core, zorin-connect, zorin-exec-guard, zorin-os-docs, zorin-os-file-templates, zorin-os-printer-test-page

Thx. That is from your machine
I can get that for mine?
It came from Synaptic?

Hmmm, maybe I was not clear.
Last time I dealt with Zorin support, when ever someone posted a reply it came as an email to me. That was useful as I don't always sit on one machine, one page. The little beep for incoming email on machine 3 or whatever told me help had arrived. Seems that doesn't work any more?
Where you live isn't really relative!

Yep, from my machine. I just used dpkg -s <packagename>
I didn’t use Synaptic - you can get package info from there but for the sake of copying and pasting on forums, the terminal is easier.

Sorry, I’m clueless about the whole email notification thing. On the “living here” - I meant I spend all my free time on the forum, which is why I don’t need email notifications to check.

Ok, email is not paramount.
I will run that command and see what gives

I understood what you meant, but as I said, I was referencing it from my perspective, not yours!

OK, the oracle says:
"zorin-os-desktop is not installed and no info is available"
It says a lot more re examine archive files and list content but for now, back to square one.

How do I get that package to install?

Bearing in mind my first post of today.
cheers

Just got deja vu...

Repo

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:zorinos/stable

sudo apt install zorin-os-desktop

Sheesh mate, are you human or machine?
How the heck do you remember, even know all this much?
Trying that suggestion now~

I was think repository but would never in a kazillion years tumbled to PPA. If you ever leave Zorin, they would need to shut up their support line.
Ironic if this does work- not holding my breath- as it was the sodding geany ppa that got me into this mess~
:hear_no_evil:

1 Like

…is that good… or bad?

:roll_eyes:

For a near genius, you ask some strange [replaced by moderator] questions

99.8% exactly as I left it.
Even the web site tabs.
The login screen is slightly different, probably because we changed the theme # from 0 to 4.

Also, I have a lot more packages installed than before, mostly games, some I have never seen on Zorin before. But I don’t play games, I usually download the light version anyway so what would I know, But the apps do have a different feel to them. I have lost boot-repair which usually comes preinstalled in my other Zorins

Anyway @Aravisian thank you so much for staying the course with me. I had a vague idea of where I wanted to go but your pointers and help made it so, so much easier. ESP that PPA thing at the end, Brilliant.

Take care out there, vaccine or no, we are a long way from safe yet.