After update, display is really slow and screen is tearing

Yesterday, I updated my computer and it was working just fine. Today, I just booted up and found that the GUI is very slow. It is also showing a lot of screen tearing. I tried to update, but it's already on the latest update. I checked on the System Settings and find out that it's recognizing my monitor as a 31", when in reality it's 24". Zorin OS Core 17.1 also doesn't seem to have an option to turn V-Sync on or off, so I don't know how to solve this.
Other information:
Kernel: 6.8.0-40-generic
Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-545 (proprietary)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation Device 2803 (rev a1)
0c:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device 164e (rev c6)

The kernel update made Wayland the default display server instead of Xorg. Try switching to "Zorin Desktop on Xorg" on the user login screen and see if that works fine. To fix the new default Zorin Desktop, you could try updating Nvidia drivers to 555, though past that I've no clue myself lol

2 Likes

After tinkering with several drivers, I managed to access ZorinOS recovery mode (I usually have no idea how to get to this screen).
Anyways, I managed to recover the system to kernel 6.5.0-45-generic and when I checked the driver that was being used, it was the X.Org X server -- Nouveau display driver from xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (open source).
The screen is working fine now, and the screen tearing has decreased considerably.
However, I will study your solution and try to update cautiously so that the problem doesn't happen again XD thanks for reading my issue, btw. :+1:

2 Likes

I had exact same problem. With kernel 6.8.0 nvidia-driver-545 just doesnt work. After the update nvidia drivers 545 were still installed but GPU was missing. I had to downgrade to nvidia-driver-535. Anyone knows how to upgrade to 555 as it is not available under Zorin Menu → System Tools → Software Updater -> Additional drivers (i have 4070 TI)?

According to this post by devs, 550 driver should be available for Nvidia 4070.

I don't have Nvidia so cannot suggest best driver for 4070. Seems like kernel 6.8 has impacted a few users particularly re graphics. I have flagged devs in another thread.

1 Like

Thanks for the flag @zabadabadoo!

We've investigated this issue and have found that specifically the upstream proprietary NVIDIA 545 driver package currently doesn't have a kernel module that's compatible with Linux 6.8 yet. We've found that most other versions of the NVIDIA driver package should nevertheless be compatible with the latest kernel update:

550 :white_check_mark:
545 :x:
535 :white_check_mark:
530 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 535)
525 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 535)
520 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 535)
515 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 535)
510 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 535)
495 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 535)
470 :white_check_mark:
465 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
460 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
455 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
450 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
440 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
435 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
430 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
418 :white_check_mark: (auto-upgrades to version 470)
390 :x: (legacy driver)

If you currently have the NVIDIA 545 drivers installed, you can resolve this issue by temporarily booting into the older 6.5 kernel using the Advanced Options in the bootloader menu. Afterwards, select the NVIDIA 550 drivers (the latest stable & recommended branch) through the Additional Drivers utility: Activate NVIDIA Graphics Card - Zorin Help

Alternatively, you should be able to open the Terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and enter these 2 commands:

sudo apt remove nvidia* libnvidia*
sudo apt install --install-recommends nvidia-driver-550

Afterwards, restart your computer to apply the changes.

10 Likes

Thanks a lot both of you @AZorin @zabadabadoo. Everything works flawlessly again!

I was having issues as well with my external monitor not working at all after the Zorin update (NVIDIA TU117M). I ran the commands in the terminal listed above and that fixed everything. Thank you!

I am having the same issues. I didn't know about the forums before I started troubleshooting last night and ending up reinstalling the OS last night. I have followed the instructions for removing and re-installing the drivers, however I'm still having screen tearing and low framerates.

In the instructions to activate the nvidia drivers it mentions that you can check to see that it is activated properly by checking the About screen in the Settings app, and mine is currently displaying "llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7, 256 bits)" instead of any sort of nvidia string like I would expect. Additionally ubuntu-drivers doesn't even list 550 as an option though I found some chatter about that utility on an older post on a different forum so maybe it has no use here. I'm more used to all-CLI linux in my dayjob so I'm at a bit of a loss over what to look for with the gui so please let me know if there is anything else I can provide that might help. TIA

1 Like

I was able to resolve my issues by reinstalling from the ISO and picking the “safe” graphics option, which loaded the 535 drivers. Everything is running great now.

For some reason NVIDIA 550 doesn't show up on my Additional Drivers utility. The highest version is 545. I was up to date on Zorin 17 pro upgrade path until 6.8.0-40 broke NVIDIA on my system. It's available under apt search nvidia-driver-550. Any idea why there is this inconsistency?