Android Tablet as 2nd Extended Desktop Display

Have anyone successfully get an Android tablet to work as 2nd extended display?

On Windows, I used SuperDisplay flawlessly over WiFi. No lag, no tearing, pen & touch capable. It was a beautiful solution for my professional law degree studies.

I also tried Spacedesk in Windows, but it kept disconnecting over WiFi. I stopped using it, even though it supports multiple virtual monitors.

On OS16, I tried xVNCServer using the instructions here. But, it only mirrors, lags, and gives me a weird small window and odd buffering background.

My laptop is Dell XPS 13-9343 Early 2015 (1920x1080 resolution) with Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite LTE (2000x1200 resolution). WiFi Card in XPS is AX200 on Orbi Pro SRK60 mesh network.

Thanks again,

From a newbie to Linux.

I have only tried VNC method (mirroring) myself and know nothing about extended monitor settings.
But this page might help:

1 Like

That page has the same instructions I followed with my links in the first post. It only does mirroring. It's surprising there's still no extended display on tablet devices support for Linux. There quite a few on Windows and Macs. Hopefully someone will be willing to make a solution one day.

In this page, it looks like extended not mirroring:

1 Like

He somehow got it to extend it seems in his photo. But, following his instructions, all I got was extremely laggy mirroring, and the view is shrunk with weird windows in the background, inception-style. I used the Android app he recommeded. LOL.

I just switched to freeBVNC recommended here in the post you recommended. There's an option to extended the view on my tablet to fit the screen as much as possbile, but, it's still only mirroring with .5 second delay. Still don't know how to make it extended desktop, like when you plug in a real display onto a computer port.

I think it's my unfamiliarity with Linux not helping.

I think we can call for a help from other volunteers @Aravisian @Storm @337harvey @zabadabadoo who are more knowledgeable than myself (I see myself as an intermediate Linux user).

1 Like

Thanks!

I got it to kinda work now. But, it's weird. Please see the attached photo. The windows on the tablet are constantly moving on a black background. LOL.

At least we are getting closer to what you want to have :slight_smile:

I hope other volunteers pitch in to help you further. (Some are not available at the moment due to the time difference.)

1 Like

How to Install and Configure VNC on Ubuntu 20.04 | DigitalOcean idk if someone put here this link

1 Like

Thanks for your link. It seems to be a client remote access for the host server. But, I'm looking to setup an extended desktop second display on another device, on my Android tablet for now. The link also uses XFCE, does it matter, since I'm using default GNOME on ZorinOS16? It might be useful if I switch to XFCE when ZorinOS16-Lite officialy releases.

this instruction i used when working on raspberrypi and pc and it works for me.

1 Like

Hello from another RasPi user :wink: :strawberry: <- could not find raspberry.

1 Like

I also noticed this in System Settings. I wonder if this is useful, or, useful for my purpose?

I think you can use any desktop for this.

1 Like

i remember i need configure ip and port then password to connect vnc. Maybe firewall blocking something like in Zorin Connect.
For me it was a ip my card on raspberry and raspberry port. Example 192.168.80.1:5000 then i saw password to connect another machine and i have my desktop from raspberry on my main pc.

My Android VNC Client is connected to my laptop's x11VNCServer. But, the client "display" is showing randomly moving windows of whatever I move over. Like it's glitiching.

So the problem is forward your desktop from laptop to main PC and when you trying doing something it is glitching?

My laptop is my main Linux PC hosting the x11VNCServer. My Android Tablet is the client device for viewing, and it's being used as only a 2nd display. The laptop desktop is being extended from the laptop to the tablet.

The android tablet "display" is showing the glitching extended desktop.

Thanks for the link. But, it's for operating in reverse where the Android Tablet is the main device as the sending source with PC as receiver.

I guess I might just have to dual-boot back into Windows to do any paperwork or to get my needs work. Seems MSOffice365 (w/ ProWritingAid extension) doesn't work on Linux too. Can't install the office suite using the installer executable. I'll try my MSOffice2010 disc later on to see if I can use it.