Antivirus software

Are they necessary? One of the features Zorin OS advertises is that it’s “resistant to viruses” thanks to advanced security features. Yet some antivirus software are compatible with Linux. What’s the point of them if the OS itself already does the job they’re doing?

Antivirus software is not necessary for most desktop computer users in Zorin OS because of the advanced security features of Linux and the inherently more secure development model of Open Source software.

In order to stay safe from security threats, we would always recommend you to install the latest updates from the Software Updater. This will make sure that you have the latest security patches to avoid any known vulnerabilities.

However, to scan if your computer has malware for other platforms like Windows, you can install a malware scanner called ClamTk from the Software store in Zorin OS (open the Zorin menu > Software > search & install “ClamTk”).
If you want to be more certain that you can’t run any Linux-affecting and cross-platform malware, there are some tools like ESET NOD32 for example.

3 Likes

Honestly, the malware “market” is mostly focused on Windows 10 users (after all, Microsoft’s system is more used). Think like this: If you are a malware developer and looking to reach a larger number of people, you will focus on the system that is most used. Therefore, I believe that there is very little malicious software on Linux (desktop). Now on the server side, the story is different. Therefore, I believe that using antivirus on Linux is a futility.

1 Like

It’s good to have … I recently read about a malware called ‘Lucifer’ that now threatens Linux users …

1 Like

I posted a link from a certified Linux pro on 10 things to do post-install on Linux and one was to install ClamAV - I also posted on the old forum that the lead member of our local Linux User Group runs ClamAV on a schedule in respect of his server. I also posted across a Security thread about ransomware that targets both Windows and Linux and has been active since October last year.

1 Like

You may be able to help me to resolve a dispute, then.
I was recently told that ClamAV is a Placebo and shown the following chart:

I suspect that there is more to it than meets the eye.

4 Likes

ClamAV is currently at version 0.102.4 so that chart is out of date for starters.

One should also remember to install rkhunter and chkrootkit

I use Sophos. The free version has no GUI, but it is pretty easy to install and command from the terminal. I just have all my favourite commands on a spreadsheet that I copy and paste to the terminal.

Like above, there aren’t a lot of viruses in linux, but if you share files with windows users you might want to scan them to avoid passsing on a virus.

2 Likes

If you want to be really secure as advised to me (but I think someone believes I have spent enough on IT this year!):

1 Like

You should know, that the most secure setup, is the one that doesn’t connect to the internet. :wink:

Having said that however, while it is true that Windows 10 users are at the highest risk, not only because most people use Windows 10, but because Microsoft designed their OS to be malware central for hackers, and them alike, but any OS can be hit.

Windows, Linux, IOS, Android, all of them can be hacked. All of them can get virus’s, all of them could be hit by ransomware. It is only in the minds of the ignorant, to believe that their OS is completely safe.

Back in 1912, people thought Titanic was unsinkable, were they ever taught a lesson they would never forget! At the end of the day, if your machine connects to the net, it needs to be protected.

I do use ClamAV, and it came with Zorin Ultimate, so why not. Just use some anti-virus, it makes you feel better at the end of the day. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

good thing, I always checking for updates of security in my desktop.

I don't think that we need antivirus after windows the last update everything has changed. I think windows defender is more powerful to cope with the virus provided you have normal nature of work.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I still have a lifetime subscription for MalwareByte but stop using it for a couple of years now. Indeed, the Windows Defender changed everything - at least for my bank balance :wink:

1 Like

ESET NOD32 ANTIVIRUS FOR LINUX DESKTOP is no longer in limited support and currently receives no support since 3rd August 2022.

Does that mean there won't be any updates for Eset NOD32 A/V for Linux desktop?

Eset nod32 is dead on Linux...

That's how I read it.
The only AV for Linux Desktop I'm currently aware of is ClamAV.
I believe there are paid for Business AV for Linux Servers, but not Linux Desktop users.

Sorry to add to an old thread, but seemed the most appropriate place.

I was searching web for advice re recent experience of slower scan performance by ClamTK/ClamAV and stumbled accross this conversation: https://github.com/Cisco-Talos/clamav/issues/590

However, my ZorinOS 16 is still on ClamAV 0.103, wheras that link refers to latest ClamAV 0.105.
According to that linked item, it looks like version 0.105 is scanning twice as slow as previous versions, which remains an unresolved issue with its devs.
From my search I found numerous items re slow scanning by ClamAV, which is dissapointing as it is the only antivirus protection seemingly available to the linux community. [Please, noone reply to this by saying no antivirus is needed for linux. That is a different conversation]

I'm a bit concerned what version ClamAV is offered with Z17.

Avast Antivirus is good and optimized for PC and other devices.

Avast doesn't exactly have a good track record of being a trust-worthy company:

Debian 12 also has 1.0.3 and I haven't really noticed any slow downs at all, so I suspect Z17 will not be affected by this although may miss out on some other improvements from newer releases.

I haven't found any strong evidence to this yet, but have read somewhere that it may be a good idea to run scans inside some sort of containerized environment (Docker, Flatpak, etc) to reduce the risk of a virus taking over while being scanned. So there are some options to guarantee certain level of safety and performance regardless of the version you choose.

1 Like