Arrows tab q506/me sound issues

i will have to close terminal in hang…

opendnew tab in terminal left other tab in hang…

$ sudo -H pactl load-module module-bluetooth-discover
[sudo] password for leverage:
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

Ok, more permissions issues- that worries me.
Especially after you ran the chown command above.

This honestly has me wondering if the Installation itself is corrupted. I usually recommend that users Do NOt Check the box for “install updates during installation” but rather, install updates after installation is completed and a reboot has been done.
But a loss in connection during install can cause some corruption.

As it is a fresh install- I know that it is a Tablet, but how do you feel about reinstalling the OS?
I also would kindly recommend, if you choose that option, that you choose Zorin LITE for use on a tablet (It’s what I use on the tablet PC, as well).

I am not confident that even IF we get some nominal resolution on your Sound Issues, that these permission problems will not cause Other HW issues elsewhere. A reinstall may be best.

i did check update during install… i will take a look at the lite ver of zorin… this tablet is being used for dedicated navigation on a sailboat using opencpn… that is its primary need…

so i will do a reinstall and post what happends… as well i will check to see how everything is running before doing any updates… is there a reason in particular you recommend lite? it is a pretty fast laptop that will have very few programs running… or at least fast for me…

if there is an issue do you recommend update or problem solving the issue before updates…?

I recommend Lite because Zorin Lite uses a different Desktop Environment than Core does. Core uses Gnome D.E. and Lite uses XFCE4.
While it is true that Gnome is a heavier D.E. than Lite, it is a bit misleading to think that Lite is only for an older or slower machine.
I think there is a Good Chance that the XFCE4 desktop Environment will mesh with your hardware better than Gnome, as Gnome can be... finicky...

After installation, run:

sudo apt update

sudo apt dist-upgrade

Once that is done, check to see what is working and what is not. We MAY look at whether you are using the HWE (HardWare Enablement) kernel. While HWE is usually desirable, it can cause issues (uncommonly) on some machines.

ok will take your advice… many thanks for your time… very kind…

will post results…

lev

Was lev asked if his software update source was set to “Main Server”?

1 Like

no i was not… please explain?

i just used default settings during install…

In your app menu, you can type in to search “Software & Updates” which will open a GUI version of checking your Sources.list.
In the screenshot below, note the option in the Blue Outlined Portion for “Download From:” and the drop down menu- You will prefer that to be set to “Main Server”.

This is usually set as such as default during installation, however the Ubuntu Ubiquity Installer will sometimes set that based on Region. Some users have had trouble when it set them to the Server for Fiji Island, instead.

OK after install Software and Updates may point to a regional server. It is a good idea to change that to Main Server. See this: Software Updater settings

I am not saying it is a fix for your problem, but is maybe something that could not be helping you.

Edit: OK Aravisian has also covered it now

thank for the tip… it was set for japanese server…

Well, then. OK, Thanks to Zab for bringing that up- Please set that to Main Server, THEN do your updates. However, I must point out that at this time, it is possible that a reinstall is probably still necessary.
If so, uncheck the box for Install Updates during Installation," then once installation is complete, rebooted, open Software & Updates and set that to Main Server, then run your updates (Either in terminal or with the GUI app already open on your screen.) You may also, while there, click the Additional Drivers tab and check for any drivers.

will do, thanks again…

so… installed zorin lite and problem with sound has not changed… everything seems to be the same sound wise and when i try some of the tricks i was shown, output seems to be the same as before… so now i am researching to see if i can find a solution…

i found one thing from:

so in terminal i input: sudo -H gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

again i lost my bluetooth mouse, this happends when i am trying anything connected with sound, even something like opening alsa-base.config… and recovered it by doing nothing but looking at blue tooth settings… changeing nothing and then mouse comes back…

anyway,

so i added the line: options snd-hda-intel model=generic

this did not work…

also found a link about a fellow fighting to get his sound going for 2 months! and this was his solution in the end… to install Mercurial Packages… did a little research but still really do not understand what this pacage is and what it does to the os… so have not done this yet… any input as to what this mercurial stuff does any why it would effect sound would be intresting

Certainly can understand how frustrating this persistent issue is.

Bluetooth is associated with sound control due to Bluetooth Speakers and Earpieces and the like needing access to sound.

I never heard of mercurial packages, will look that up.

For what it is worth, I am sorry for the ongoing trouble.

sorry for nothing aravisian… thanks for your time! i will keep looking some more before giving up and seeing if i can get windows 7 into this tablet… the spyware os win10 even though installs np is simply not an option… it is a used tablet i just got that came with win10 and some hardware is not supported by win7 but that does not mean it will not work on win7. the reason i am trying to get linux on this little box is because soon win10 will be unavoidable on new hardware so i have to find an alternative before this happends… so thought i would take a look at it now before i am trapped… but really it seems that to use linux in a reasonable way requires many hundreds or very possibley many thousands of hours of playing with the os before one becomes self dependent on trouble shooting… and this is the thing… i simpley do not have the time right now to give up so much time just so i can properly use an os… i want the software to manage the computer 99% of the time… not me… to many other project always on the go… but like i said i will look a little more…

Some Hardware does struggle with Linux. But this does not speak of Linux as a whole. Notice that the forum is not Inundated with users requesting help. Some days, there are no posts at all.
But… Certain older Dells, Fujitsu… Lenovo… And certain tablets - They struggle with it more often. I have a Sony Toughbook Tablet PC I installed Zorin Lite on and Every single thing worked right away, no troubleshooting needed. I use it for automotive diagnostics.

In future, Zorin Team is working on an ARM version. But it is not a completed project at this time.

In the meantime… There are many distros out there with different teams and so have Large teams working on them. You might check into other distros like Pop_OS! and MX Linux to see if they perform better. While Zorin is more about a Well Rounded approach, other distros focus on more special use.