Brief Login Error

Yes. I usually recommend a setting of 3 for folks that are in a BDH.

2 Likes

I would say not, unless you are Quick Draw McGraw.

EDIT. I see Aravisian recommends 3 seconds. That's better when you are up to your neck with aligators.

2 Likes

When I use my Windows SSD, it is completely seperate from my Zorin SSD so whatever issues I have on Zorin do not affect my Windows SSD whatsoever.

Anything I do on my Windows SSD shouldn't affect anything on my Zorin SSD should it?

Bootloading is not a Zorin OS or a Windows OS thing. It is run on the motherboard and referenced on the drive.

Remember - your MotherBoard also has an operating system (supplied by its manufacturer). You interact with your Motherboard OS in your BIOS settings.

You are correct that what you do on your separate Windows or Zorin OS will not affect the other. However, that is not related to the BootLoader.

1 Like

Also, you were saying it's not recommended to remove the grub menu on my Zorin SSD?

In that case how else can I at least reduce the waiting time of the grub menu without having to press anything?

1 Like

Yes, I do not recommend it. Losing access to the Grub Menu will also lose access to the Recovery Menu. If you need to access Recovery, you would not be able to.

Run

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Where you see, GRUB_TIMEOUT=10, the 10 value is Ten Seconds and the values are the number of seconds.
If you set it to 1, then that is 1 second. As @zabadabadoo pointed out, you would need to be very fast to catch it.
you can set it to 3:
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3 to create a three second wait.

Once you have GRUB_TIMEOUT set to a value, tap ctrl+o, then the enter key to save and save as current configuration.
Then tap ctrl+x to exit the editor.
In terminal, you must now run:

sudo update-grub

Once done, reboot and test.

1 Like

What is the Windows boot manager on the Zorin grub menu?

Is it to do with the computers motherboard or something else?

Your EFI partition is not part of your Windows partition nor is it part of your Zorin Partition.
It is its own partition and it is referenced by the motherboard At Boot.
It can be referenced or even modified by yourself using either Windows or Zorin.

Isn't that the UEFI Firmware settings below Windows Boot Manager?

These are accessed in your BIOS; your user interaction with the Motherboard Operating System. They are generally not related to the Boot Manager, but some settings can have an effect on the boot manager.

But if I click open the Windows Boot Manager (which is not the UEFI Partition) what will happen?

It will open the Windows Boot Manager application.

I know that but how does that affect a Windows OS on SSD?

It does not affect the operating system in any way other than selecting options in regard to its Boot.

The windows boot manager shows in grub because grub detects other OSs, regardless of their location. Windows Boot Manager is another EFI partition that does not have this and must be manually configured to list other OSs.

Aravisian's advice is sound. If you have a problem in Zorin, you may need to access the recovery console to resolve issues for Zorin. If you're fine reinstalling every time you have an issue, please feel free to eliminate the grub timeout.

You can disable the search for other OSs (Grub is completely customizable, much like everything else in Linux).

I have deleted Zorin OS and am going to reinstall it again but before I do, should I use 2 USB drives instead of only 1?

Also, Which USB Flashing software is better, Rufus or Balena Etcher?

If you are using Windows, Rufus comes highly suggested.
I prefer Ventoy on Linux.

Ventoy? I haven't heard about that one before... Is it better than either Rufus or Balena Etcher?

What I like about Ventoy is that it is dedicated for the USB stick. You install Ventoy on the USB Stick, then drag n' drop your .iso file onto it and that is all there is to it.
When you boot from the Ventoy stick, it loads a launch menu allowing you to choose which Distro .iso you wish to run.
You can add multiple .iso's and test out several distros.
Removing one is a matter of right clicking on the .iso file and clicking "move to trash" or "delete."

Balena Etcher - I have had brick USB sticks and many other users have reported the same. For this reason, I avoid it.

On the Linux side, I never had any trouble with uNetBootin.
Other good burner alternatives are
MultiBootUSB
Popsicle (made by Pop_OS)

Back when I first had Zorin installed I had used Balena for USB drive.

Which one would you recommend now so I don't face another "Error log"?