Cannot open my pc with my gpu mounted on

Hello, I happen to have an issue with my gpu and I have no idea how to fix it (new to linux). This(https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/us/optiplex-790-spec-sheet.pdf) is my pc spec sheet, I have an nvidia 520 graphics card, and I have installed zorin os. When opening my pc with my gpu it only shows me this error, cannot open my pc. But my pc works fine when I remove it and run with integrated graphics. Im desperate right now and dont know what to do and Im panicking. The additional drivers tab in the settings do not show anything when I go in there, given that I do not have the gpu mounted. I used the nvidia option on os installation, even reinstalled but still didnt work. I got the driver version from the url and was planning to use the .run file but I dont really know how to do that either.

1 Like

Having looked at that nvidia link it is quite an old card (2011). When Zorin 15 came out I could not get it to run with my Geforce 710 card. Minimum requirement was a 720. I 'future proofed’ by getting a GT-1030 (I don't do heavy gaming).

Is it really impossible to run it with this? Will this work for zorin lite? Browsing speed is noticeably slower, just ran into several freezes(why I even got a gpu), need it for editing software apps and none of my games work without it. Broke af rn and cant even afford a 2nd hand gpu. Please and thank you for all the help.

Have you yet tried adding the Legacy Drivers repository, then installing the 390 driver while booted up with your integrated graphics?

Not yet and I dont really know how to do that, will look at the link for a sec. Thanks for the help btw. I really appreciate all your help guys tysm

1 Like

Hello there and sorry for the very late response (kinda busy). I tried the method earlier and it gave me an error, forgot to screenshot it. But then I tried the method I saw from @Michel first then tried yours after. Everything went smoothly until I tried the "sudo apt update && sudo apt install nvidia-driver-390" part. It stops going at:
"Not creating home directory `/nonexistent'.
Setting up libnvidia-cfg1-390:amd64 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up nvidia-dkms-390 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
INFO:Enable nvidia
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/dell_latitude
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/lenovo_thinkpad
DEBUG:Parsing /usr/share/ubuntu-drivers-common/quirks/put_your_quirks_here
Loading new nvidia-390.157 DKMS files...
Building for 6.5.0-25-generic
Building for architecture x86_64
Building initial module for 6.5.0-25-generic
EFI variables are not supported on this system
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars not found, aborting.
Done.
nvidia.ko:
Running module version sanity check.

• Original module
    • No original module exists within this kernel
  • Installation
    • Installing to /lib/modules/6.5.0-25-generic/kernel/drivers/char/drm/

nvidia-modeset.ko:

• Original module
  • Installation

nvidia-drm.ko:

• Original module
  • Installation

nvidia-uvm.ko:

• Original module
  • Installation

depmod...
Setting up libnvidia-decode-390:amd64 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up libnvidia-decode-390:i386 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up libnvidia-gl-390:amd64 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up libnvidia-gl-390:i386 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up libnvidia-encode-390:amd64 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up libnvidia-encode-390:i386 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up libnvidia-ifr1-390:amd64 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up libnvidia-ifr1-390:i386 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up xserver-xorg-video-nvidia-390 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Setting up nvidia-driver-390 (390.157-0ubuntu+klbkjammy) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.36.0-1ubuntu3) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.35-0ubuntu3.6) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.10.2-1) ...
Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1ubuntu1) ...
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.140ubuntu13.4) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-6.5.0-25-generic
I: The initramfs will attempt to resume from /dev/sda2
I: (UUID=1c45a686-bc23-4f95-8889-9afcb5964dc8)
I: Set the RESUME variable to override this."
Sorry idk how to save and send notepad files rn so its kinda long. But this is where it stops. I saw something about efi, I run on legacy mode but my pc does have uefi support. Also here's what my disk partition looks like. Idk if these help with anything tho. 2 things I noticed that looked weird are the
"EFI variables are not supported on this system
/sys/firmware/efi/efivars not found, aborting."
and
"Not creating home directory `/nonexistent'."

These are not things to worry about. It noted that you boot Legacy (MBR), so did not need to handle EFI variables.
The drivers are installed in Root and it did not need to save any personalized configurations in your home directory, so did not need to create a new directory in your Home directory to handle those.

I'm running 16.3 Lite on a GT 710 and 17.1 Core works too.

What could have been the problem? Im running out of options here. Should I just switch to Lite? will there be any difference? Thanks for all the help btw. I deeply appreciate it.
Edit: tried nvidia-smi and it says "NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running." does this mean did it not work?
Edit: This is what it looks like when I try reinstalling

Yeah I cant seem to really make it run on mine too so maybe I'll just switch to Lite. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

The nvidia-smi command may not work on the 390 driver.

In Software & Updates > Additional Drivers, which driver does it show you as on?

Interesting. The drivers for 710 must have been added later after Ubuntu 18.04 release on which Zorin 15 was based. It just would not run for me.

1 Like

It didn't show anything on the additional drivers before. But then I just tried mounting it again and it works now! I can also use the nvidia-smi command too. Thank you for all the help! Makes it much easier to transition to a new OS when there's a lot of cool people that can help!

1 Like

It worked for me just now. I am able to open my pc now with my gpu on. Thanks for the help!

Glad you got sorted.

1 Like

The driver for the 710 is still in development. You can still purchase the 710 at some stores. Driver recently updated on Zorin.