Can't print on Canon Prixma - Zorin 16

Hi everybody! I've just migrated my computer to Zorin Core 16 last week but I can't print anymore. My printer is a Canon Prixma MG2550S, which worked pretty much good with Zorin Core 15.3.

The generic driver MG2500 is automatically detected and installed (which, as far as I remember, was the same driver in Zorin 15.3).

I've tried to print a pdf file and get no response. Then, I've tried to print a odf file (from LibreOffice Writer) and got the following error:

I tried to re-install the driver but the problem is still there. I have no clue what is going on.

Another issue that I have, is that I have no option to choose the color quality (for ex, 300x300 pixels or grayscale) anymore as I could do in Zorin 16. I could not find any of these options anymore (see the screenshot bellow, no such options):

I'll appreciate if someone can help me with these issues. Many thanks in advance!

Can you please try the steps outlined in this post:

Thanks @Aravisian for your help! I’ve tried your suggestions but unfortunately it didn’t work. I’ve tried the “Printer Properties” option to search for a new drive, but the “Change Driver” window stood continuous frozen. I’ve also tried the other option, with CUPS. I followed the steps you described in the other post to install and set it up, but I ran into the same problem described by @Ezorb, “CUPS: command not found”.

I managed to figure out how to access CUPS, via “localhost:631” in the browser:

However, I solved my printer problem without the need of CUPS (I used it just to check the installation, but not to install/configure the driver). I’ll explain bellow what I’ve done.

1 Like

I’ve managed to solve my problems after looking for some options. There is apparently no specific driver for Canon Pixma MG2550S, for linux (if someone has found it, please let me know!) However, there is a version available on the website of Canon for the model MG2550, that gives me the options that I needed regarding to printing quality and just works! The options presented in this driver are different from the way I used to have on Zorin 15.3, but it’s enough for my needs (if someone knows a newer version of this drive, please let me know).

Here is how you can download and install this - other version - of the driver MG2500:

1. Download the 2 tar.gz files for “Linux (64 bits)”, one for printing and the other for scanning:

• MG2500 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 4.00 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)
    • MG2500 series ScanGear MP Ver. 2.20 for Linux (debian Packagearchive)

** You have to accept the Software license agreement to download them.

2. Download the 2 manuals related to installation procedures:

• IJ Printer Driver Ver. 4.00 for Linux (Operation guide)
    :black_small_square: ScanGear MP Ver. 2.20 for Linux (Operation guide)

** You have to accept the Software license agreement to download them.

3. Unpack the tar.gz files via “Terminal” (command line):

cd <directory-where-you-downloaded-the-files>
    tar -zxvf cnijfilter-mg2500series-4.00-1-deb
    tar -zxvf scangearmp-mg2500series-2.20-1-deb.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf guide-pd-4.00-1_en.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf guide-sd-2.20-1_en.tar.gz

or via the option “Extract Here” from the file manager “Files” (right-click on the name of the tar.gz file to see the option).

4. Open the manuals in the browser, to follow as a guidance. The easiest way is do via the file manager:

Go to “/guide-pd-4.00-1_en” and double-click on the file “guide_index.htm”

In the same way, go to “/guide-sd-2.20-1_en” and double-click on the file “guide_index.htm”

5. Install the printer driver via “Terminal”:

cd <directory-where-you-downloaded-the-files>/cnijfilter-mg2500series-4.00-1-deb
    sudo ./install.sh

Follow the instructions on the screen. If you have doubts, check the related manual that you've opened via the browser: “Setup” >> “Installation”

6. Install the scangear via “Terminal”:

cd <directory-where-you-downloaded-the-files>/scangearmp-mg2500series-2.20-1-deb
    sudo ./install.sh

If you get an error just like me, saying:

Screenshot from 2021-08-25 23-36-30

then you have to first install the libusb-0.1-4 package and then install the scangear again:

sudo apt-get install libusb-0.1-4
  sudo ./install.sh

In the same way, follow the instructions on the screen. If you have doubts, check the related manual that you've opened via the browser: “Setup” >> “Installation”

I have now a MG2500 driver that works and have more options than the one that came with Zorin 16.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.