Dell XPS Plus (9320) No Network - No Sound

I recommend using the TuxInvader LTS Mainline, instead.
The steps are:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.02

That should install the 6.2 kernel. Reboot and test.
Check kernel after reboot with uname -r

1 Like

Many thanks. I found this solves the WiFi issue and now many more screen resolutions are listed (though fractional scaling does not work - that's no big issue for me). However, there is still no sound.

The only Sound Output Device listed is "Dummy Output"

Any suggestions?

What is the terminal output of

sudo lshw -C multimedia

michael@Slappy:~$ sudo lshw -C multimedia
[sudo] password for michael:       
  *-multimedia:0 UNCLAIMED  
       description: Multimedia controller
       product: Intel Corporation
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 5
       bus info: pci@0000:00:05.0
       version: 00
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pciexpress pm cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff memory:603c000000-603cffffff
  *-multimedia:1
       description: Multimedia audio controller
       product: Intel Corporation
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 1f.3
       bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
       version: 01
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=sof-audio-pci-intel-tgl latency=64
       resources: iomemory:600-5ff iomemory:600-5ff irq:16 memory:603e1e0000-603e1e3fff memory:603e000000-603e0fffff
michael@Slappy:~$

Run

sudo apt full-upgrade

Reboot and test. If still no sound, in terminal run

echo "options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/xps.conf

Source: HdaIntelSoundHowto - Community Help Wiki
Reboot - test...
If still now good, try:

echo "options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=254" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/xps.conf
1 Like

Did a search on "dummy output" here on the forum and found this re Dell which may (or may not) help.

The issue of no sound with "dummy output" is a regular occurance on the forum, so a search is a good start point.

Also as previously mentioned, from terminal run alsamixer hit F6 to see detected sound cards. Post a screenshot.

1 Like

On reboot, I get to a completely black screen with a white text prompt to login in
I can log in under my username and password and I get a shell prompt.
I seem to have entirely lost the window manager.

I am now in a complete mess!

If I choose Zorin Advanced Options during the boot sequence it looks like I have a choice of several Zorin versions. None seem to complete booting into a window manager. I never get past a black screen, white text, login prompt.

Suggestions?

With an installation Windows and Zorin
You first have to disable the Security Boot
In your BIOS Menu
Then start the USB stick
Regards

Security Boot was disabled (see original post) from the beginning.

Have you also stored this in the BIOS
If not, it is switched on again

Yes, just checked, Secure Boot remains disabled in BIOS

Okay
and Lecasy support in your BIOS
Has it been enabled?
So
Security Boot -Disable

lecasy support-enable

I can find no BIOS options referring to the word Lecasy (or Legacy)

One of the Zorin versions I can boot yields a prompt and message:

Slappy login: [ 64.625384] snd_hda_intel 0000:001f:3 no codecs found

Starting from scratch formatting partition and reinstalling Zorin... again.

It's very frustrating. Installing Zorin onto my Intel NUC was a breeze, installing Zorin onto the Dell XS Plus 9320 is a complete nightmare.

I can only hope that Zorin will catch up at some point in the not-too-distant future.

This was probably the most useful step inasmuch, after following these instructions I have Zorin installed, working WiFi, And a full list of various display resolutions available. However, there is no support for Sound or camera, nor fingerprint reader.

uname -r gives: 6.2.16-060216-generic

In summary Zorin (out of the box) seems not to be ready for the Dell XPS Plus (9320)

Much saddened by this. Should I pay for Pro Zorin? Would this get me some support that may help? None of the Pro features are features I need but the support of even helping fund the development is something I'd be happy with.

Thoughts?

You can take pro
But if the regular version does not work
I fear the paid version
that it will not work either
click on the link
And look and test
That you can install Ubuntu on your computer?
If so, Zorin will also work on your PC

1 Like

Press F2 when starting up to go to the BIOS setup screens. Make sure the BIOS is set to UEFI, switch off the Legacy option ROMS and switch off safely.(Startup)

Keep in mind that the newest generation Dell Computers has removed Legacy support from their bios
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ee/000130987/how-to-install-the-ubuntu-operating-system-on-a-dell-optiplex-pc-with-raid?lwp=rt

By the time I returned, you untangled yourself. You were on the right track - in Advanced Options for Zorin you can also choose the Recovery Mode, in which you can input commands from the prompt. We could then 'undo' our previous step.
Sorry, I had gone to bed - belatedly. It was after Three am by the time I did.

1 Like

Firstly, thank you for your help. I understand different time zones make this ricky (I am in Greece now (a small island!))

I have gone with a fresh install and am currently without sound (in & out) or camera support.

I am not sure how i am going to proceed. If I purchase Zorin Pro, perhaps that will buy me some support that may be useful, perhaps not. I'd like to stick with Zorin. I think it is great, but perhaps other Linux distributions are better for supporting new hardware. Perhaps I should find out what Linux distribution Dell is shipping with new laptops.

Have you tested other distros at this time?

Choosing Zorin OS Pro can get you Professional Installation Support from the ZorinGroup. It does not include different drivers by default - Pro does not lock functionality behind a paywall. And yes, it may be that the ZorinGroup can solve the issue - equally, they may not be able to.

You might check this:

I am not sure that this is a Newer Hardware issue, though. Looking at the specs, the Dell XPS Plus 9320 predates Zorin OS 16.
And, this issue appeared in Ubuntu after Zorin OS 16, but not before on Zorin 12 or 15.
It uses the Realtek ALC 299 HD codec
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/xps-13-9370-laptop/xps-13-9370-setupandspecs/audio?guid=guid-26c40b6d-daef-4979-a505-0cd4da4e74e1&lang=en-us

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20171119143152.700944781@linuxfoundation.org/

With that codec broken, it will timeout and switch to polling mode which leads to no sound being detected or recognized.

This concerns me since adding a later kernel helped resolve the Display issues.
But it may be worth trying to see if an earlier kernel may resolve sound. I do not know what affect that will have on display offhand...:

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.4.0-81-generic linux-modules-5.4.0-81-generic linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-81-generic linux-image-5.4.0-81-generic

There is the 5.4 and 5.8 kernels - you can install them and try each one from Advanced Options for Zorin. Remember, you can revert back to your latest kernel with One Reboot, no need to go into Advanced Options...

If they work - then it means there are a series of regressions in the latest kernel in regards to sound.

Another workaround is dependent on your Graphics card. For example; using a Nvidia card will pipe sound through HDMI Output.
Switching to the HDMI output will usually get sound going. But I do not know if you have a dedicated graphics card on your notebook.