Dell XPS Plus (9320) No Network - No Sound

Starting from scratch formatting partition and reinstalling Zorin... again.

It's very frustrating. Installing Zorin onto my Intel NUC was a breeze, installing Zorin onto the Dell XS Plus 9320 is a complete nightmare.

I can only hope that Zorin will catch up at some point in the not-too-distant future.

This was probably the most useful step inasmuch, after following these instructions I have Zorin installed, working WiFi, And a full list of various display resolutions available. However, there is no support for Sound or camera, nor fingerprint reader.

uname -r gives: 6.2.16-060216-generic

In summary Zorin (out of the box) seems not to be ready for the Dell XPS Plus (9320)

Much saddened by this. Should I pay for Pro Zorin? Would this get me some support that may help? None of the Pro features are features I need but the support of even helping fund the development is something I'd be happy with.

Thoughts?

You can take pro
But if the regular version does not work
I fear the paid version
that it will not work either
click on the link
And look and test
That you can install Ubuntu on your computer?
If so, Zorin will also work on your PC

1 Like

Press F2 when starting up to go to the BIOS setup screens. Make sure the BIOS is set to UEFI, switch off the Legacy option ROMS and switch off safely.(Startup)

Keep in mind that the newest generation Dell Computers has removed Legacy support from their bios
https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-ee/000130987/how-to-install-the-ubuntu-operating-system-on-a-dell-optiplex-pc-with-raid?lwp=rt

By the time I returned, you untangled yourself. You were on the right track - in Advanced Options for Zorin you can also choose the Recovery Mode, in which you can input commands from the prompt. We could then 'undo' our previous step.
Sorry, I had gone to bed - belatedly. It was after Three am by the time I did.

1 Like

Firstly, thank you for your help. I understand different time zones make this ricky (I am in Greece now (a small island!))

I have gone with a fresh install and am currently without sound (in & out) or camera support.

I am not sure how i am going to proceed. If I purchase Zorin Pro, perhaps that will buy me some support that may be useful, perhaps not. I'd like to stick with Zorin. I think it is great, but perhaps other Linux distributions are better for supporting new hardware. Perhaps I should find out what Linux distribution Dell is shipping with new laptops.

Have you tested other distros at this time?

Choosing Zorin OS Pro can get you Professional Installation Support from the ZorinGroup. It does not include different drivers by default - Pro does not lock functionality behind a paywall. And yes, it may be that the ZorinGroup can solve the issue - equally, they may not be able to.

You might check this:

I am not sure that this is a Newer Hardware issue, though. Looking at the specs, the Dell XPS Plus 9320 predates Zorin OS 16.
And, this issue appeared in Ubuntu after Zorin OS 16, but not before on Zorin 12 or 15.
It uses the Realtek ALC 299 HD codec
https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/xps-13-9370-laptop/xps-13-9370-setupandspecs/audio?guid=guid-26c40b6d-daef-4979-a505-0cd4da4e74e1&lang=en-us

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20171119143152.700944781@linuxfoundation.org/

With that codec broken, it will timeout and switch to polling mode which leads to no sound being detected or recognized.

This concerns me since adding a later kernel helped resolve the Display issues.
But it may be worth trying to see if an earlier kernel may resolve sound. I do not know what affect that will have on display offhand...:

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.4.0-81-generic linux-modules-5.4.0-81-generic linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-81-generic linux-image-5.4.0-81-generic

There is the 5.4 and 5.8 kernels - you can install them and try each one from Advanced Options for Zorin. Remember, you can revert back to your latest kernel with One Reboot, no need to go into Advanced Options...

If they work - then it means there are a series of regressions in the latest kernel in regards to sound.

Another workaround is dependent on your Graphics card. For example; using a Nvidia card will pipe sound through HDMI Output.
Switching to the HDMI output will usually get sound going. But I do not know if you have a dedicated graphics card on your notebook.

No other distributions tested yet.

I think Dell sell this particular laptop with a linux confiruation so that might be a starting point.

the this link you posted, I'll investigate next.

The kernel versions where different versions may support different features, but no kernel supporting them all, dissuades me from exploring all possibilities since I need to stop spaffing time on OS's and get back to my job of writing software.

Above all though, thank you for your kindness and knowledge on this.

I will update this thread on the final outcome!

I will admit, this really looks like an unusual case.
The odds of a fix for one primary hardware while a regression in another is pretty slim.

AMD is one of the stakeholders for Linux and Intel also openly supports supplying Free Open Source drivers. In spite of this Surface Appearance, "unopenly" they are both a bit lackadaisical about submitting changes to their drivers to the Linux community in a timely manner.

1 Like

So....

With the reasoning that Dell now ships my XPS 13 Plus with Ubuntu, I thought I would try and download Ubuntu. Unfortunately despite it being certified, the resulting installation suffers from the same problems of no Sound in/out, no camera.

Now Dell do ship this laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled AND that preinstalled version has all the necessary driver upgrades to support all the Dell XPS Plus hardware.

So should be easy to download the Ubuntu .iso from Dell and install that...

BUT no, because my DELL Service Tag is for a laptop delivered with Windows I cannot access the DELL Ubuntu download.

I'd be grateful if anyone here can give me the Service Tag for a DELL XPS 13 Plus (9320) delivered with Ubuntu!

Don't know about a system image, but the Dell Ubuntu 20.04 drivers are listed (that would be equivalent of Zorin OS 16):
https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/xps-13-9320-laptop/drivers

Sorry, I am out of my depth here. When I select Operating System: Ubuntu, none of the listed files mention "sound" and what am I meant to do with those files anyway?

I would think it would be under firmware - If it was me, I would grab them all and install each one.

Thanks. I will look into that!

Gday @MichaelEllis , Welcome to the community.

I seems we need the "snd" driver instead of the "sof" driver.
As we have tried one way above to change this,
Please try the following guide.

hope this may help.

1 Like

G'day!

Thanks for your suggetsion. That is something I already tries (a suggestion made further up on this thread). It does not solve the problem.

I am exceddingy frustrated that the solution IS available from DELL as a Ubuntu install image specifically ade for the DELL XPS 13 Plus but they will not release it to me because I bought the laptop with Windows (I require dual boot).

IF anyone has DELL XPS 13 Plus and is willing to share with me the DELL Ubunty recovery images i would be very grateful!

Have you tried contacting them regarding the ubuntu image? Maybe they will allow you to get it.

This is my major frustration with DELL. Yes I contacted them and the call got escalated to the supervisor who said company policy was that he could not give me the relevant iso file because I had not purchased my laptop with the Ubuntu option (even though we are talkig about identical hardware).

The service tage for my laptop defines it as being sold with Windows. The recovery Ubuntu image is only accessible through their website on resentation of an appropriate Service Tag.

They suggested returning the laptop for a refund but since I live on a remote Greek island (and the packaging in in the UK), that is really not an option for me.

I can only hope that at some point the necessary drivers make it into the Canonical distribution and Zorin too.

That sucks. They could have been large and hand over the image. They won't lose anything on it and they get a happy customer.

1 Like

Exactly, and given that the core Ubunto is open source and the only value they have added is that which drives their hardware that I have purchased it does seem churlish. I will be writing to them, but I guess that is like writing to my MP, aka peeing into the wind!

1 Like