Drivers issues in zorin os 17

When I installed zorin os 16 the os recognized that I have two GPUs in my hp laptop amd Radeon 530 and Intel uhd graphics but when zorin os 17 released I installed it and it only recognized only one GPU the Intel uhd 620 and when I used zorin os 16 it was the smoothest os I have ever used but when I used zorin os 17.1 it also was fast but not smooth like zorin os 16 in zorin os 17.1 when I first started up my laptop when I open clock or start menu in zorin the animation lags but that doesn't happen anymore it just happen once I know it is not that big problem but I hope zorin os be the most perfect os ever made.
Sorry for my bad English
Best wishes
Ahmed :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.
So your AMD Radeon 530 was OK on Z16 but not recognised on Z17.1.
AMD is usually well supported by linux kernels, but that can come and go in time.
I do not know if Radeon 530 is old or new.
If old, I am wondering if an older kernel (e.g. same as used in Z16, where it worked) would give you back your AMD graphics.
There is a Tutorial to do that here: [HOW TO] set an older kernel to default boot

EDIT:
"The Radeon 530 is a dedicated entry-level graphics card for laptops that was released in 2017.
Source: https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-530-GPU-Benchmarks-and-Specs.214534.0.html

Also:
AMD linux drivers resource: https://www.amd.com/en/support/linux-drivers

1 Like

Thanks for replying I really appreciate that :grinning:

1 Like

I will try this solution later because I currently have bad wifi connection

1 Like

But I think newer kernels are better that older ones is that right?

1 Like

If right what am I gonna lose

1 Like

Also why this happen every time when I try too boot up zorin os 16.3 and when I tried tuxedo os these acpi errors disappeared

1 Like

I don't think that post can be considered a "solution" so I will untick it.
When you get to a solution, tick the post that gave you the solution, even if the post was your own. Zab.

I assume you tried Z16.3 to test if older kernel with that helped your AMD driver issue.
Ignoring the ACPI errors, were you able to get your Radeon 530 graphics working as before with Z16?

As for ACPI errors. There are several threads here on the forum that discuss that issue, including: ACPI errors on boot
just do a search for "ACPI errors" to find more.

EDIT: I see the last line of your error message screenshot is (I think) "TOPAZ not supported in kfd"
See: "TOPAZ not supported in kfd"
and: graphics - "Topaz is not supported in kfd" after upgrade to 21.04 - Ask Ubuntu

Suggestion there, and elsewhere I have read, is to update your BIOS.

1 Like

The Radeon RX 550 from my pc is from the same year, and...
Screenshot from 2024-07-16 17-03-11
... it gets detected in the Live USB session just fine (17.1-r2, kernel 6.5.0-x)

I also don't recall having problems with a laptop AMD A6 CPU that had an integrated R4 graphics from 2015 in Z17, so age is completely out of question as the cause

I am going to ask: Did you do a clean install of Zorin 17 or did you use the upgrader from 16?

1 Like

I did a clean install

1 Like

Amd Radeon 530 completely disappeared from the device when I installed zorin 17

1 Like

I have again unticked the "Solution" you marked.
You do not have your Radion 530 working, so please do not mark a solution until you actually find one that works.

Just thinking.
If you have both Z17.1 and Z16 as bootable Live USB's, can you do "Try Zorin" from each of those USB's and see if your Radion 530 appears in either?

2 Likes

I can't rn because the laptop needs to be fixed but in zori2 os 16 amd Radeon 530 and I feel uhd 620 were working right but in zorin os 17.1 only Intel uhd 620 was working

1 Like