Dual Monitor Support

-banging my head on the wall-

I need to take care of things on my end for a while, but will research this further later and hopefully find some helpful information.

@Aravisian Sure thing… Thanks👍

Ok... back to the beginning. Let's remove the nomodeset from /etc/default/grub returning to:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash”

After that, in terminal

xrandr -q

If it fails to get size of gamma, run this in terminal:

xrandr --output default --gamma 1:1:1 --mode 1280x1024

Change the 1280x1024 to your preferred screen resolution.
Then, we will take it from there and see what happens...

@Aravisian

Here’s the output.

I see everything that there is to see on topic there. I also see one thing that is not that probably does not relate.
“Owner of config ibus is not root”

It looks like you were unable to access the default grub to make the changes- it also appears the account was not able to access root.

I recommend using nano, not gedit, as the Terminal Text Editor. Vim is also a good choice.

In your home folder, create a backup of your /.config folder by renaming it /.config-bkp.
Then reboot.

Does the external monitor work with any other OS as it should? My next query was going to be possible cable failure?

Yes, he has said it works on OpenSuse.

:blush: - been a long day configuring Evolution on my other LinuxOS so I don’t have to look at OWA365 - bliss!

If I change it back to “quiet splash” and reboot the laptop will it not get stuck on the booting screen. Can you give me a specific time at which you are available so that I can be online as well and we can quickly solve this. (Time and country)

I am in GMT -6 hours.
As far as when... I monitor the forum often, while I am working. I monitor while helping the kids with homework.
Which is interesting because all my life, I thought I was lousy at multi tasking. I have no idea how I have been pulling it off.
I am not an expert. I am as much a novice as anyone. I am, however, stubborn. Where I fail to provide a solution, sometimes the nonsense I post nudges the reader into figuring out a solution on their own.

If you remove nomodeset- it is quite likely that it will get stuck.
But let's try something as I amend what I suggested earlier- for kicks.
Edit the grub as before, but instead of "quiet splash", just make it "quiet"
No splash.
then

sudo update-grub

Please allow it some time to boot- been changing things. But if it clearly fails or you get a blinking cursor, reboot, then jam on the left shift key to at the splash screen to pull up the recovery menu. Drop to prompt and repeat the

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

and put it back to quiet splash nomodeset.

But, it is worth trying, as it is simple to remedy at this time, after having removed the config and other things we have tried- just to see what will happen.
This is not a haphazard whim- I would like to check is something other than nomodeset is viable as I Think that Nomodeset being used all along is responsible for being unable to get size of gamma and unable to change screen resolution.

:joy::joy: Alright… I’ll make a copy of the folder named .config and name it .config-bkp.
How do I make a copy of .config folder?:sweat_smile:

Change “quiet splash nomodeset” to quiet using nano

Just confirming the changes I have to make

Good thing too, I was unclear.
Rename your current ~/.config folder to .config-bkp. Do not copy it.
What this will do is make it backed up in case you need to revert to it, but no longer “visible” to the system to find your configurations. So, it will make a NEW configuration directory with default configurations. This can help if a corrupt configuration or bad configuration is messing up your settings or system.

It did boot.
All the settings I had done such as set up the dark mode and added sublime to the panel are gone.
I just plugged the monitor after the boot and it did start mirroring the laptop screen which was not happening before but there’s still that one option “default” in the display settings.
So whats next?

Well, then. It may have been a bad configuration. The missing settings are backed up in your .config-bkp folder, so you can dig through and transfer those things you are certain are not Monitor related over to the new .config folder. Or, just do your settings in the normal manner.

Are you able to change your screen resolution?

No i’m not able to change the resolution.

Which means we already know the result of xrandr -q then.

In terminal, please enter

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

Then reboot, check display... OR report here if that gives an error.

EDIT: Also, check that Power Saving modes in the power manager are set to "never".

I just turned off Display power management
After the boot when i connected my monitor, my monitor shows “cabld not connected”
I don’t see any other problem.

What did

yield?

:sweat_smile: Sorry… I don’t understand what do you mean by yield. How do i check it?
Still can’t change resolution

In terminal, paste this in:

What does the terminal show you after you enter that?