Fresh Installation Zorin 16 Pro

Hello Everyone.
Before I want start again fresh Installation Zorin 16 Pro.
What could I change before I will start again?
1 Manually partition on ssd. I have 128 GB
boot 1GB? /root 80GB /home 30?
My RAM is 16 how should be a swap if created on ssd hard disk swap partition swap 8GB?
Creating swap partition?
2. Only One stable kernel Zorin. Which one ?
3 Can I created minimum installation Zorin 16 Pro?
4 Drivers for amd where installing open source or amd webside.?

1 Like

it is correct partitions? Will created without windows partition.

1 Like
  1. I would put the lions share of space to /Home over /Root. the /home directory usually fills up with much more data.
    If you have 16gigs of RAM, you can use 8gigs swap or even 12 or 16 gigs swap. 8 gigs should be fine, unless you are doing massive webbrowsing or gaming.
  2. 5.11.0-34 - Run the latest kernel that Zorin OS offers unless it gives you trouble. If needed, roll back until you find a working one.
  3. Yes, Zorin OS Pro comes with the Minimal Installation option.
  4. AMD drviers should be included in the kernel. If the kernel is not providing the correct graphics support, you can refer to the Oibaf repository or AMD website and manually download and install the drivers.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:oibaf/graphics-drivers

1 Like

Ok. Here i put photo how looking my partiton.

Waiting to someone can accept this is correct partition. Installation need put in root partition mark or just click install Zorin?
The information i have /var partition is to small. Delete /var and gived 4GB more to /tmp? or shrink home partiton and created bigger /var partition?
In guide instruction i have a var/tmp can i created that partition in manual installation?

1 Like

I am not aware of the need for /var and /tmp partitions. But others may know better.

1 Like

I have another problem. I created var/tmp but for me is difficult understand how correct created partition to be stable system not crashed. I was reading from some guide step by step and now I have new problem.

It is really difficult installation Zorin a manual?

1 Like

If you are installing with EFI (not Legacy) then I believe a 512Mb EFI partition is needed. Have a look at this thread.
https://forum.zorin.com/t/a-zorin-and-pop-os-question/5440/12

1 Like

OK but anyone can answear this partitions are created correctly?
1No?
2Yes?
3Don't know?

1 Like

I think this is one for @Aravisian or @FrenchPress

1 Like

I will go with this configuration what I created. /var catalog isn't the same what /var/tmp/ this i fixed. I doing manually because automation installation connect both partition /root and /home. Then hard disk is fast full.

2 Likes

It all looks fine except that you need your EFI partition to be at the beginning of the drive.
Your /var and /tmp directories look a little small...

1 Like

So i will created again all new.
For me if i am not using hibernate then i think swap partition is unusable and can faster kill my hard disk ssd.

1 Like

Yes, if not using Hibernate, then there is no reason or need for a separate Swap Partition.

I also would not create /tmp or /var as separate. You can if you want to, there are pros and cons... But if it is causing you confusion, then it is needless to do so.
The only directory you really might consider important to have its own partition is /home

Of course the efi partition at the start, too.

1 Like

Most important what i know are /boot /root and /home and here ESI partition efi another name. Why life creating more difficult?
root is for main system linux home for data files and boot to properly start a system. I saw there is also some partition start bios - what kind partition is it?
Ok then ESI partiton first then /boot partition linux 1024 for both is ok.

1 Like

As long as you have the EFI partition, you can just install Zorin OS all under One partition:
/

3 Likes

I cannot agree. We spoken before on this forum topic small place on hard disk.
I will go with minimal installation creating to bootable partition 1x1024mb and one root and home.

1 Like

I struggled to install Linux on 7GB space for over a year and finally came to the conclusion to omit the desktop and use it as a headless server. I am amazed how little space it takes when there is no desktop :slight_smile:

When there is not enough space, it is better to think about other alternative rather than keep on banging one's head on the wall.

My 2 (Euro) cents.

2 Likes

He says he has 128 gigs.

1 Like

128GB is ok for linux. Data Files i used external 500GB and two 5TB offline eaten to much power supply. Also have 20 pendrive with diffrents size GB.

I will check this solution. Linux for simple using nothing special.

If that is the case, I do not bother any manual partitioning. Let the installer decide the space it would allocate. I keep all bulky files in the separate 1TB SSD and I am currently using 100GB only out of 240GB SSD.

I also do not bother to integrate this data drive as my Home directory for the simplicity. I still have the default Home directory where I only store small files, but no multimedia files.