How to Change Default File Manager?

Can somebody tell me how to set my default file manager to PCManFM? I have installed it and completely removed Nautilus. Now when I double click a folder on the desktop, nothing happens. I have to right click the desktop and then click open with and then select PCManFM. This isn't user friendly and I just want to be able to have it automatically open with pcmanfm. Help pls?

Did removing the Nautilus File manager also remove integrated desktop environment elements?
Please double check that. The file manager governs the desktop, so the best practice is to leave the default file manager in place, and then install the new preferred file manager.

I recommend reinstalling Nautilus. Once installed and with pcmanfm still installed:
Open a terminal

sudo nano /etc/xdg/autostart/nautilus-autostart.desktop

Make sure the Exec line says Exec=nautilus --desktop then hit ctrl+x to exit, hit the y key to say yes to save, then hit the enter key to save configuration. The terminal will revert to normal. Now, enter:

sudo mv /usr/bin/nautilus /usr/bin/nautilus.bak

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/pcmanfm /usr/bin/nautilus

@Aravisian , my sincere apology if I bumped this old converse but I have similar question in nature albeit I have NOT removed / uninstalled Nautilus but have installed Thunar and wish to use it as the default (preferred) file manager.

Is that even possible to make Thunar the default file manager?

Yes, you can edit the mimeapps.list .
This guide should help- look to the top portion:

2 Likes

Try this command

xdg-mime default "preferred file manager".desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search

That command is for XFCE desktop, not Gnome.

(sorry).

Oh, it worked for me however (Gnome). It made dolphin my standard/default file manager. :confused:

1 Like

Really?
hmmm...

Maybe I am wrong.

O.P. can try it (It won't hurt anything) and relay those results.

1 Like

It worked for me too. When I wrote that tutorial about setting default apps in xfce, I also tested the commands on Gnome to see if they worked.

2 Likes

This will not screw up my / break my Zorin experience?

Nope.

3 Likes

If you want to change your default Linux file manager, you can checkout this post for some best file managers for Linux.