Hub 8-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)

Yes, but you cannot install firmware from an .exe on Windows App Support.
Windows App Support or WINE is a compatibility layer to allow some Windows applications to run on Linux. This means that it cannot be used on System Processes.

First things first, please open a terminal and run

fwupdmgr get-updates

That is the FirmWare Update Manager.

What output does it give?

When you use terminal, sudo nano /etc/default/grub, you can save and exit with
ctrl+o to Overwrite, tap enter key to save current configuration and then tap ctrl+x to exit the editor. Any time that you save a change in Grub File, you must update the Grub Process for that change to take effect. This is done by next running

sudo update-grub

1 Like

Thanks! I edited the GRUB file and updated it. Now the machine boots, without freezing or the original error message, and this is what it shows instead:

I noticed neither the WI-FI or the Bluetooth are working. In settings, Bluetooth won't turn on and the OS doesn't recognize the WI-FI adapter.

I ran this command, and this is what it shows:

It was worth trying...
It appears that you manufacturer has not submitted your firmware updates to the Linux Teams.

The nomodeset parameter may be causing this.

What Nvidia driver are you using? You can check in Software & Updates and move to the Additional Drivers tab.

1 Like

That's unfortunate... :slightly_frowning_face: So my only way to update the BIOS is having a machine with Windows, run the BIOSRENAMER.exe to turn the BIOS file to a valid one and then flashing it?

I edited the GRUB file again, and remove the nouveau.modeset=0. But WI-fi and Bluetooth is still not working. I run the system update as well, but it says it all up to date.

None. My GPU is a XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB. In Software & Updates and Additional Drivers tab it shows No additional drivers available.

I would look to the Lower Answer on this page:

Did you remove the nomodeset parameter? Did you run sudo update-grub?

I must have been thinking of a Different thread- I was thinking you had Nvidia 3050...

You might try the radeon drivers directly:
https://repo.radeon.com/amdgpu-install/23.20/ubuntu/focal/amdgpu-install_5.7.50700-1_all.deb

You can double-click .deb files to run the installer.

1 Like

No, you don't need a Windows machine...

I use Win10 PE to update my UEFI, because HP only provides the files in Windows-specific format, and my UEFI doesn't have a built-in update utility.

I removed only the nouveau.modeset=0. I kept the nomodeset noplymouth. I ran sudo update-grub and the machine is booting, but still no WI-FI or Bluetooth functioning.

No problem. I really appreciate the help. Sorry, but I am a bit confused: your suggestion to update the GPU driver has something to do with the WIFI and bluetooth? Or is it because of something else?

I guess my case is slightly different. When I downloaded the Firmware update, it provided two files: an BiosRenamer.exe and the BIOS file for the utility built-in. I have to run the BIOSRenamer.exe before flashing the BIOS file to an USB stick so the Utility can run the update. I am not sure why. It is just what the ASUS site suggests:

Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (TA620MPW.CAP) using BIOSRenamer."

I had access to a Windows machine today, so I could run this BiosRenamer.exe and send the BIOS file to a USB stick. But then I realized I committed a mistake: my motherboard actually is not a 'TUF GAMING A620M-PLUS'. It is a 'TUF GAMING A620M-PLUS WIFI', and I downloaded the wrong BIOS. Luckily the BIOS utility simply said it was not a valid file. I edited my original post correcting my PC setup as well.

The nomodeset parameter can inhibit the drivers for Wifi. I think we should test if that mode setting is causing the wifi (and bluetooth) to not work.

I suggested that because above, I was under the impression that you are having issues with booting up to the User Environment without using nomodeset parameter.

1 Like

Could it mess with the sound as well? I tested the sound for the first time and there is a huge delay when I pause a video, for example, and the sound is echoing and scratching.

It was, the machine was freezing while booting and showing the error message hub 8-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19)
I haven't tried booting up again withoutnomodeset.
But I tested the gpu with sudo apt-get install mesa-utils and glxgears command and it returns around 37000 frames in 5.0 seconds = 7450.655 FPS, which it seems to be the expected result.

Yes, as sound may be routed either through the processor or through the GPU.

I do not mean that your current drivers are not working. But they may not be fully working. It is worth checking.

1 Like

Understood. I ran the deb file you suggested and it successfully installed it. I ran the software updater, but it says the software is up to date. Anything else I should do?

The next step would be to test the results against the nomodeset parameter.
Please do not forget that you can revert the change using Recovery menu if needed. So if things appear sticky, no need to panic.:wink:

Your patience is admirable. Most users only need to install and use - they do not have to argue with their computer to get it to work...

1 Like

Ok, so I edited the GRUB again, back to "quiet splash" and restarted the computer.
Same error hub 8-0:1.0: config failed, hub doesn't have any ports! (err -19) and still freezing.

To be fair, at this point I know it by heart :sweat_smile:

Thanks, I guess :sweat_smile:! I have been using Zorin OS on an old laptop and really enjoy it. And now that I could finally build a good machine I just want it to work really bad.

1 Like

Good. Because now you have to go put the nomodeset back in. (sigh)

What is bothering me about this... is that the error is directly calling the USB port. It does not mention graphics, at all. Are you using a USB cable or Thunderbolt dock to connect the monitor to the machine?

1 Like

I am on it!

No usb cable, no dock.
Only things connected:

• mouse usb dongle
  • keyboard usb dongle
  • ethernet cable
  • and an hdmi to vga adapter. I am using an old monitor, as you may see in the pictures from previous posts. Could be it?

I used an HDMI to VGA adapter when I hooked up one of my old monitors. The effect was that it mostly worked and I did not get any printed errors but... If I used any theme that made use of color #555, it would blank out the monitor. Very strange.

If the monitor is sufficiently, old, it is possible that it may be giving you trouble. And the adapter increases that.

Hardware contains its own operating system. Your O.S. that you interact with does not govern the hardware or run it; It communicates with it. The hardware governs itself. This communication is provided by Drivers.
Your Graphics Card drivers are tasked with the job of communicating with Monitor Operating Systems and if the monitor is old enough to have been dropped from support, I can see how that may be an issue.

1 Like

Bad news. I plugged the PC to my relatively new TV with only the hdmi cable, no adapter. Edit the GRUB back to "quiet splash", sudo update-grub, restarted the PC, crossed my fingers...and same error and freezzes. :smiling_face_with_tear:

Worth noting something that I did not realize before: the FAN CPU goes VRUM when the error appears, only to slow back to normal shortly after.

Can you remind me of which kernels you have tried or are using?

1 Like

Currently using 6.3