In quest for Linux compatible WiFi

It actually does say Zorin in the description. :open_mouth:

(Twice.)

1 Like

Very nice, I like the SPECS on that, that totally meets my speed requirements. Truth is, my speed requirements are really not that high, I just want to see at least 450MBPS, and anything that exceeds that is pure awesomesauce.

Some USB dongles due specifically list Zorin, and I think those are the most awesome ones because of that. And Aravisian, you arn't going to get no argument from me just looking at that thing, it says, StarTreker, buy me, you know you want to! Anything that looks that substantial, tells me its gonna work good with reception.

I agree that they're not the best, but I use them for refurbed computers that I give away for free - so cost is an issue.

1 Like

I've heard of those charitable organizations accept a donation of old Windows machines then install Linux on them to donate. In that case, recipients would not be able to afford a high speed internet at their home. I think 150 bpm and 300 bpm would not make any difference in this scenario.

And network cards are the tricky parts in Linux, USB WiFi is a quick fix (as I often claim).

Just a quick question does anyone know if any of these work oob

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1420579?clickSR=slp:term:usb%20wifi%20adapter:1:3:1

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9397525?clickSR=slp:term:usb%20wifi%20adapter:2:3:1

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3389780?clickSR=slp:term:usb%20wifi%20adapter:3:3:1

The AC1300 i bought for my wife and it is working fine. That one has better download speeds too compared to the other 2.

Drivers and instructions can be found here -> HP Pavilion G7-2310ED, wifi card got killed after a W10 update - #13 by Michel

1 Like

This?

1 Like

Yep that one

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-wireless-network-Adapter-SoftAP/dp/B008IFXQFU/ref=pd_ybh_a_38?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=6NPPQP53B8HG5D4ZSFBW

These ones don't require 3rd party drivers. So find this one on the site that you order off of.

The ones that are listed as AC in their titles, require 3rd party drivers.

1 Like

So as most 150 pbs versions.
They are around long enough to be included in the kernel.

I suspect @CJ1994 is looking for a faster ones.
I only know one 300 bps version that works OOB.
RT5572

I suppose it worked OOB and your wife did not have to compile a driver herself.

1 Like

You are a vessle of knowledge FrenchPress, and I value your opinions, your advice, and your friendship. And, when you shared that picture of all the USB keys, I knew you were the real deal hehe.

1 Like

My attitude is "Not to leave any stone unturned".
When I have a curiosity, I cannot stop researching on it.
I suppose that is why I decided to become a scientist :woman_scientist:

1 Like

I love scientists, because I always learn new things from them. And you already know that I have a very strong love for everything outer space. Which is why Neil Degrass Tyson is perhaps my most favorite astro physicists ever.

Truth is, when you find something that you are deeply interested in, the world in which fascinates you the most, its truly a magical thing. Which is why when I saw so many USB key's in one area, I thought that was magical.

Your one of those bright shining stars in the sky FrenchPress, thank you for sharing some of your magic with me. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I also love the astronomy related subjects :rocket: :ringer_planet:
But my area of speciality is looking into a microscope :microscope: not a telescope :telescope:

1 Like

Thats right, not only is there a universe outside that our planet is a part of.

What not a whole lot of people get to see however, their is also a universe within us.

On the microscopic level, there is a whole teaming of activity that can be seen, bacteria just to name one example.

And then, if you had the ability to see on the subatomic level, you truly see the universe that is within you. And once you see that, you feel a stronger connection to all life that is around you, and within you.

I myself pride myself on being a star child. I am sure you can tell me many stories about the amazing things you have found under a microscope. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Just the instructions i posted before.

Actually this is what @CJ1994 asked:

So the manual installation of driver is not what he wants to do.
This brings to my conclusion that I only knows one chipset @300bps that works in Linux OOB: RT5572

TP-Link N300 has a linux sticker on it, that on should work out of the box but the speeds are in half compared to the AC1200.

A few commands in terminal for the AC1200 wont hurt, he can save the file and just use the .sh file to install the usb wifi stick. Almost plug and play :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-TL-WN821N-Wireless-network-Adapter/dp/B002T4D3M2/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=TP-Link+N300+linux&qid=1637423233&sr=8-5

TP-Link N300 with Linux associated with it, thats a good bet it works with Linux. But one should always double check the Q&A section with the word Linux, to be sure to find answers it does indeed work on Linux.

Also, nobody needs to buy a WIFI adapter designed for AC1200 or WIFI 6, unless they have full gigabit net, and really need the capacity. If you have 300MB internet or slower, then they slower adapters will be all you really need.

1 Like

Quite often the bottle neck of the speed is not a WiFi module but a router or provider or server.

I think one would not tell the difference in speed unless the internet provider offering the decent service such as FTTP and the server on the other side is superfast in addition to the up-to-date router. This might be different for people who play online games though (which I know almost nothing).

1 Like