Installation and Distro recommendations

Some Desktops are indeed more stable than others, by the implementation of design.

guys what 'bout budgie? is it any nicer?

Budgie is Gnome.

2 Likes

@100WCharge Try the DE(s) yourself and pick what you like the most.

2 Likes

IT'S NOT, BUDGIE USES GNOME STUFF, BUT IT IS VERY DIFFERENT it is very different, Budgie is built and maintained for the Solus Project. Gnome is a DE for every distro. You can use Budgie on other Distro as well.

100WCHARGE......

I use POP OS 21.04 on my main gaming computer, and I use Zorin OS 16 PRO on my workstation. If you are interested, I shall provide you links to each thread to read, as there is plenty of info and pictures there to answer all questions.

POP OS 21.04 Machine...
My New Computer! MSI GE76 Raider I7-10870H 8-Core 16-Thread! 32GB RAM Nvidia 3080 GPU 16GB VRAM! 1TB NVME SSD!

Zorin OS 16 PRO Machine...
I Bought Zorin OS 16 PRO! New Project! I Love Zorin OS 16 PRO! Saved A Computer From E-Waste!

-sigh-

Budgie is a Fork of Gnome that uses almost entirely the same things as Gnome. I know this, in great Detail... Because of working on the code and Theming it. Calling the Properties and classes.
Budgie and Gnome are pretty much the same thing and I am not going to sit here arguing with you nonstop.

2 Likes

Dude, but there are main difference in the core.

1 Like

that's what i wanna do but I can only use a single pendrive, and how long should I torment it? so I decided to only use it one last time.

1 Like

This is a very good point.
Solid State Drives are limited in the number of re-writes.

And Kedric don't you dare post after me saying, "No, they're not..."

2 Likes

forgot to mention I also used Solus GNOME Edition. also after ubuntu, for downloading and installing all the OS from Zorin to Fedora, I used a single pendrive :rofl:

>: (

Just try some, if there are too many. Think about the pros and the cons of using this particular distro.

Samsung PRO drives are designed to accommodate a total of 2TB of re-writes if my memory is correct, before the drive begins to start reaching end of life, and starting to show noticeable degradation.

What is cool about these modern drives however, is unlike the old mechanic drives that would just simply loose your data when a sector died, SSD drives will move your data around to safe spots on the drive to keep it safe.

Modern SSD drives, from what I understand, will not allow your data to become corrupted. Your SSD drive would have to suffer a complete cascade collapse in order for that to happen. But many experts state that usually when the drive reaches end of life, you can't write to it anymore.

But usually it still can be read, for what data is already on it.

1 Like

At one point it will still die, SSDs and HDD are consumables.

2 Likes

This is all true- but 100wCharge stated "pendrive."

1 Like

yup i did :wink:

If you want to test A LOT of distros, I recommend using a VM.

Install Gnome Boxes:
Debian & deritatives: $ sudo apt-get install gnome-boxes ←(Installs Gnome Boxes)
Red Hat & deritatives: $ sudo dnf install gnome-boxes
Arch & deritatives: $ sudo pacman -S gnome-boxes

1 Like

oh VM's are a much worse place, cuz my hardware is not that fast to accomodate some OS in VM. I have Intel Core i3-7020U, Intel UHD Graphics 620, 4GB RAM, and one slow 1TB HDD. I have tried fedora, solus and ubuntu in vmware and gnome-boxes. and it always made my pc in an unusable state.

(p.s. we have reached half a century full of conversations, just for a good distro recommendation. its not a problem even if it reaches 100 coversations, but if it comes to a conclusion)

Oh my gosh, now you know why I don't like buying flash drives anymore, also known as pen drives, thumb drives, whatever you want to call them, they are super limmited write cycles, and I hate that! I've lost drives because of that, and it makes me mad.

Now you know why I buy external USB SSD drives now. They can be used exactly like a pen drive, plug in and go! But, a real SSD drive, is wicked fast, can operate at the speed of the PCIE gen 3 of gen 4 lanes in your notebook, and they have a long life.

Samsung rated my 850 Pro for up to a 10-year warranty, thats how confident they were in their product. Unfortunately, I've heard that new Samsung drives, even the PRO model's, now come with a 5-year warranty instead, which means their confidence level went down by 5-years, maybe due to quality?

I am hoping that at least Samsung server drives, you know the top of the line ones that cost as much as a TV, hopefully they have at least a rated 10-year lifespan on the warranty.

4GB of RAM? Well you can forget VM's then lol.

Recommended minimum for VM's is 32GB of RAM.

Recommended average for VM's is 64GB of RAM.

Recommended hardcore for VM's 128GB of RAM.

2 Likes