Installation of Zorin OS 15.3 Core freezes on Acer Aspire ES17

That is odd. That looks like the Lockscreen. That is not a standard Zorin Background image, though. Looks Windowsy, to me... I still wonder if the Windows Fast Boot was enabled and with Windows now corrupted and inaccessible, you cannot run Windows to go in and change that setting. (I hate Windows Lockdown Fast Boot...)

Ok... Let's try something different.
Can you boot up the USB Live Zorin - then once on the Desktop, run gparted
You can press alt+f2 to open the launcher, then enter in gparted to launch it if you cannot find it in the app menu.
Once gparted is open, you should see your hdd listed as /dev/sda(some number). As you are doing a whole disk wipe and reload, this part should be easy since you do not need to figure out which disk or which partition... Just click on the line that has the Biggest Partition.
Click the (-) minus sign Button to Delete that partition.
That should now show as "Free Space". Click that same "free space" line again and this time click the (+) add button. Now a popup window should open asking for what details to Format That partition.
Choose to format completely in ext4.
Once the drive has successfully formatted, then try installing with the Installer Icon on the desktop.

This is what my partitions look like at the moment (I haven't made the changes in your post yet). When are those partitions made in the installation process? They should've been made before files are copied, right? (Do you see anything strange on the screenshot?) I'll await your answer, then check to see if repartitioning as you explained helps.

[I know I am a complete noob, but could it be that the boot partition rather than the big one is the problem since the installation froze during the grub section of the install?]

The Boot partition is for EFI and it is normal.

Everything else looks good- one thing that concerns me is 23.65gigs Used on that partition- which makes me still wonder if Windows is interfering. Zorin OS freshly installed would be under 10gigs of space.
So what is using that near 24gigs?

It gives me nominal hope that wiping and reformatting the drive will work. I need to work, as well so I may not be available after this post for a few hours.

1 Like

I just checked my (almost) clean install Zorin 15.3. It is around 11 GB in size. 24 GB sounds very suspicious to me.

I could continue with this thread while you are away.

1 Like

I'll try to wipe and fix the partition as suggested and get back to you later.
See you when you get back.

The installation process got stuck while running "grub-install /dev/sda" again. I'm not quite sure what to do now.

Interesting.
Usually, the cause of freezing during installation is due to some kind of problem with the HDD. For example, eMMC SSD instead of HDD or standard SSD, Windows Fast Boot blocking write access, Limited disk space available or Bad Sectors on the drive.
Can you please clarify -is it saying grub-install /dev/sda or grub-install /dev/sda2?
It almost looks like the installer is trying to install Zorin on the USB stick instead of the terabyte drive.

Could be the HDD went down the drain. Happens to me a couple of times.

If you are booting from the usb, and using the live image to check gparted, why isn't your usb visible in gparted? What size is your usb, out of curiosity? If the 1tb drive is the internal, please delete both partitions, the efi partition may be effecting your installation. Create an ntfs partition (or any other file system you don't plan on using) and format the entire drive. Then delete that partition, create a 500mb fat32, and your partitions for how you plan to install zorin (with seperate /home partition or all together) formatting as ext4. Then boot the live cd and attempt the install from within the live image using something else method. Choose the 500mb partition for grub (last choice after defining root /, and home /home partitions).

The only other thing i can think is that your drive may be on its way out. Changes after a long period of time sometimes bring to light bad sectors or a failing drive. I hope that is not the case.

Edit: The dual partition wipe is to remove any reference to the existing efi partition and any remnants of windows left behind. You can eliminate this by doing a thorough format instead of quick, but it will take the better part of half an hour or more.

It says "grub-install /dev/sda"

Try changing the grub install to the partition /dev/sda1

Before I try killing and resetting all partitions, are there any ways for me to check for bad sectors on the hard drive?
My USB is 32 GB about 28GB useable, which could account for 28GB, but I can't have a 1TB partition of a 32 GB drive...

My brain transposed as /dev/sdb.
Try going into BIOS settings and setting to Legacy instead of UEFI.

Then run your installer. Failing to install grub to sda may be due to it trying to install to MBR on UEFI system.

How am I supposed to do that when the installer is choosing for me?

This deserves an answer, but please try setting BIOS to Legacy before trying this.
To install grub to a specific location, this is done from the terminal within the Live Zorin demo with:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda1 --force

As /dev/sda is your hdd, this is likely unnecessary- and my fault for posting while multi-tasking and distracted. My brain read /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sda2 and /dev/sda.

I can't change the boot mode to legacy. It's greyed out again, despite having a supervisor password set. Am I forgetting something?

How am I supposed to do that when the installer is choosing for me?

That first question was for Harvey's response.

Makes you want to bang your head on a table, doesn't it?
I am running on an Acer Aspire Tower. Prior to that I was using an Acer Aspire Notebook... My sons notebook is an Acer Aspire of some other model number... and all Zorin Installations went smooth as butter.
Can you please check here:

On none of my machines have I set a Supervisor PW.
My short reprieve from work is nearly ended. Very happy to see Harvey and FrenchPress are around to help, too.

The link you gave says it's not advisable to enable legacy boot mode.
I checked the installation medium for errors, but maybe the file I burned was in some way corrupted. How do I verify the original file that I burned onto it?

Would it help if I burned a USB with Rufus instead of balenaEtcher? Everything appears to work if I boot from the USB, so I assume the USB itself is good...

1 Like

YES.
And I guarantee you others will voice strong approval of this message. LOL
BalenaEtcher is notorious.
Whether it will help your issue, I cannot say... This one is a bit of a stumper. But I use Unetbootin. I recommend Rufus or Unetbootin.

You can ignore that. If you are able to find out how to enable Legacy, try that.

You can verify the md5sum, but that is not the same as verifying the integrity of the write.