Linux vs. Windows

Suprisingly I made a whole article about this a year or two ago, I might as-well copy paste it here:

Scroll to the end for a TL;DR

Hey Guys, It’s Derek or u/Glucksritter here, and Today we’re going to be talking about which operating system is the better for the average customer to use.

Well as we have it here our three contenders are Windows, macOS, lo and behold Linux.

You’re obviously thinking in your mind “Oh Linux is gonna get kicked out this big time.”

Well that’s not what we’re comparing here

We’re going to be grading them one by one based on Usability, Support, Security, Performance, and accessibility

You might be confused about what these things are so I’m going to explain it to you how these work

Usability - Usability is based on the software’s UI, how easy it is to navigate through it the feel and a standpoint from a person who hasn’t used the OS will adapt to it, and how easy it is to do a task.

Support - Support is based on how easy it is to get support for the OS whether it be from the company who made the Operating System or an External Source and also how quickly they will respond to you upon a request.

Security - How good is the Operating system without antivirus protection - how good is it a finding out what is a virus and what isn’t

Performance - How good does your computer specs have to be to run the Operating System smoothly without many issues

Accessibility - How easily can the Operating System be used by a person with a Disability we will be testing for the Blind, and the Deaf. Also how easy it is to use/install software

To kick it off we’re going to be starting with the Operating System you're probably using, Windows… there are multiple distributions of Windows but the most popular distribution of Windows is Windows 10 at 73% of the market share according to Statcounter

We will start off by rating the Usability of Windows 10, Windows 10’s User interface has developed over time and I assume that most people have updated to the latest major update 1903 that came out around in late March or early May of 2019 according to Microsoft.

While using Windows it was quite easy to navigate through it I could open a side menu to look at apps that were downloaded into the computer, I could also use it to navigate through files in my computer but that had some limitation as it was a bit hard to find certain files hidden inside other folders but I will still stick to “file explorer” application.

Adapting to the UI of Windows is quite easy as while installing the Operating System it teaches you a bit of how to use it

Overall I will rate the Usability a 7/10

Support:

Microsoft Who made the Windows operating system has a page on their website - https://support.microsoft.com/ which is live chat-based support, they are open 24/7 and queues to talk an agent isn’t very long and on busy days the longest queue you’ll probably get is 3 people ahead of you

Overall the Support for Windows 10 is a 9/10

Security:

Windows is very susceptible to viruses. Most of Windows viruses are from the infamous port 22 and smb ports (What caused WannaCry) Windows defender is okay and can easily find viruses but it isn’t the greatest antivirus If you want a good antivirus consider getting Bitdefender Bad AntiVirus. In my opinion, I think windows should consider a bit more on security on their operating systems so people don’t get screwed over

Security is a 3/10

Performance:

Windows 10 Performance is quite lacking as their site does not actually tell the truth as much. On their site: Windows 10 system requirements. They claim that the required specs to upgrading/switching to Windows 10 is:

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
  • Hard disk space: 32 GB for both 64-bit and 32-bit OS
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later
  • Display resolution: 800 x 600, a minimum diagonal display size for the primary display of 7-inches or larger.

But under investigation, using Windows 10 with these specs will cause Windows 10 to crash more than often and make the OS more or less useless to the average user/consumer but according to Winaro for optimal performance on your PC you need at least

• Processor: Intel 8th generation processors (Intel i3/i5/i7/i9-7x), Core M3-7xxx , Xeon E3-xxxx, and Xeon E5-xxxx processors, AMD 8th generation processors (A Series Ax-9xxx, E-Series Ex-9xxx, FX-9xxx) or ARM64 processors (Snapdragon SDM850 or later)
  • RAM: 4 gigabytes (GB) for 32-bit or 16 GB for 64-bit
  • SSD/NVMe: at least 128 GB for both 64-bit and 32-bit OS
  • Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later
  • Display resolution: 800 x 600, a minimum diagonal display size for the primary display of 7-inches or larger.

This is a big surprise, I would call this false advertising because I have a friend who has a computer with 2GB ram and outdated specs from around the early 2000s and when he goes to watch youtube videos the player/video becomes all grainy as his ram has not enough space to use, this comes along with common crashes. If you have an old computer DO NOT switch to Windows 10 as it’s a resource consumer.

Performance gets a 6/10

Accessibility:

Windows 10 has multiple software that you can install and it’s not much of a hassle to install. It also has a wide array of software for the Blind and Deaf - they have Cortana a virtual assistant that can be used to help you - Windows has preinstalled software for the Blind and Deaf as well including Colour blind people.

Accessibility has an 8/10

Overall Thought:

Windows is in many regards the system that can do anything Windows excels in gaming and standard office productivity software. For creative purposes or software development, it’s probably better to go to Mac or Linux respectively. Still, if you’re looking for a system that does everything, Windows is definitely a solid choice! Also, these systems tend to have the most potential for adding RAM, hard drives, GPUs, and other hardware to max out performance! If you’re a gamer, Windows is definitely the best choice. If you’re using the computer for ERP or productivity software, Windows is also a great choice. For more specialized applications, MacOS or Linux may be better.

Final Rating for Windows 10 is a 6.6/10

Next up we have MacOS… We will be rating MacOS Sierra - Big Thanks to u/yuhhhandrew for writing all of this out!

As usual, we will start off with Usability: The MacOS user interface is designed to be very user friendly, although it doesn’t have very many customization options. Generally, it runs smoothly, but sometimes the system just isn’t capable of doing everything a user may want.

If you are familiar with the Linux terminal, you will find that the MacOS terminal runs with almost identical UNIX based commands. For most users, the GUI is a bit simpler than Windows, however, users have less control over the file system than Windows or Linux.

Overall the usability is about a 6/10.

Support: Of course, no OS is going to have perfect support that solves every problem. That being said, Apple has a great infrastructure for handling support issues. Users can bring their device to any Apple Store location to have experts troubleshoot their system. Much of this can also be done remotely.

Also, most repairs and warranty tickets can be handled directly at the Apple Store and users can walk out with a repaired device, or even a new device, the same day! As the operating system is limited in some regards, it is also quite easy to troubleshoot issues at home using the Apple website.

Overall the support is about a 9/10

Security: MacOS has an extremely secure system which is not susceptible to very many threats. That being said, it is always best to still practice basic internet safety. Downloads from unofficial websites can quickly infect your computer with malicious ‘freeware’. Still, the likelihood of getting hit with a full-on virus is low.

Overall the security is about a 7/10

Performance: A lot of how well MacOS runs depends on the specs. Most official Apple devices will run it well, but after about 5-10 years the system will likely begin to have performance issues. When running high-performance software like Blender, After Effects, or Unity, it is important to have a top-of-the-line Apple system. Generally, the processing power in a $2500 Mac is nowhere near that of a similar price PC.

So, the overall performance is 6/10.

Accessibility: MacOS has a large variety of accessibility settings that can be toggled for users who are blind, partially blind, colourblind, or deaf. These are very easy to use compared to other systems.

Overall accessibility is an 8/10

So the overall MacOS rating is: 7.2/10

Overall Thought - u/yuhhhandrew:

Apple has a number of proprietary creative software such as Logic Pro X for music production and Final Cut Pro X for video editing which draws many users to the OS. However, there are definitely high-quality alternatives. Overall it can run most creative software with ease, although high-performance software such as AutoDesk Maya will likely require a top of the line system

Finally, we have Linux we will be rating it on the whole thing not a single distro of Linux thanks to u/yuhhhandrew for writing this with me

Usability:

Linux has multiple distros to choose from each one using their different type of “Customiser?” some of them are XFCE, Gnome, and KDE Plasma. Each one has their ups and downs - you have your own choice in which one you would like to use as there is basically no backlash of using another one because they either use apt or Pacman file manager.

Overall Usability gets a 10/10

Support: As there is no centralized organization which maintains Linux, it will be harder to find support for issues. Still, there is a massive community which has developed many helpful procedures and tools for troubleshooting.

To properly do much of what you will want to do on Linux, it is important to learn how to use BASH (The Bourne Again Shell) to give the computer commands directly. If you’re not prepared to troubleshoot by reading forums and entering commands into the terminal, you will have some trouble with support on Linux.

So, Linux support gets 4/10

Security:

Linux Security is Great it’s self Linux doesn’t really have any vulnerabilities in its system as it is lesser-known and everything in its system goes in as an average user which means you have to personally type in a command to allow the virus to compromise your PC this is huge up for security. Also, this means that a virus could be in one of your folders and you’ll never know and it will never infect your computer! can you believe that!? This also means that you don’t really need an antivirus for your Linux machine.

Overall Linux Security gets a 9/10

Performance: If performance came down to how efficiently Linux uses system resources, it would win outright. The problem is that it doesn’t run a lot of software users care about. There are solid freeware alternatives, but they’re just not the same as their professional counterparts.

Instead of Photoshop and Illustrator, Linux has GIMP and Inkscape. Instead of Microsoft Office, Linux has LibreOffice (although Microsoft Office can still be run from the browser). Also, most games don’t run on Linux. You can get around all of this by using the Wine software to emulate Windows inside the Linux environment, but that takes such a toll on the system that it outweighs the native performance benefits of Linux.

So, all these means is that while Linux is fast, it only runs select softwares well. If you’re a programmer, this works well, as Linux runs software like Visual Studio Code and Atom better than any other OS. If you are a casual user or a content creator, it’s probably not your best bet.

So, performance gets 5/10 because it’s only great for select users

Accessibility: There are some native accessibility features built into some popular distributions like Ubuntu, but it’s really not ideal compared to Mac or Windows.

Accessibility gets 3/10

The overall rating for Linux: 6.2/10

Overall Review for Linux: u/Gluckstritter

Linux is a Good Operating system in General and does a great job in doing mundane things. But it has some limitations as it can’t do things that windows or MacOS can do, it excels in Security and Usability but it drastically drops in Support and Accessibility which are the key things for any OS to have. The gaming end of Linux is quite small but gaming companies are now considering to make more games for Linux as it has a huge potential for slower/older computers that need a new life(OS) If popular Linux Distros could focus on accessibility maybe more people would be lenient to hop aboard the Linux Train.

Final Review/Summary: u/Gluckstritter u/yuhhhandrew

Windows:

Windows is in many regards the system that can do anything Windows excels in gaming and standard office productivity software. For creative purposes or software development it’s probably better to go to Mac or Linux respectively. Still, if you’re looking for a system that does everything, Windows is definitely a solid choice! Also these systems tend to have the most potential for adding RAM, hard drives, GPUs, and other hardware to max out performance! If you’re a gamer, Windows is definitely the best choice. If you’re using the computer for ERP or productivity software, Windows is also a great choice. For more specialized applications, MacOS or Linux may be better.

MacOS:

Apple has a number of proprietary creative software such as Logic Pro X for music production and Final Cut Pro X for video editing which draws many users to the OS. However, there are definitely high-quality alternatives. Overall it can run most creative software with ease, although high-performance software such as AutoDesk Maya will likely require a top of the line system

Linux: Linux is a Good Operating system in General and does a great job in doing mundane things. But it has some limitations as it can’t do things that windows or MacOS can do, it excels in Security and Usability but it drastically drops in Support and Accessibility which are the key things for any OS to have. The gaming end of Linux is quite small but gaming companies are now considering to make more games for Linux as it has a huge potential for slower/older computers that need a new life(OS) If popular Linux Distros could focus on accessibility maybe more people would be lenient to hop aboard the Linux Train.

Scores:

Windows 6.6/10

MacOs: 7.2/10

Linux: 6.2/10

Winner: At the End MacOS wins

Feel Free to Upvote/Like this

more content like this from r/CyberTechSolutions

Bibliography:

Stats - https://gs.statcounter.com/

Major Update: What's new in Windows 10, version 1903 - What's new in Windows | Microsoft Docs

Microsoft Support: https://support.microsoft.com/

Winaero: https://winaero.com/blog/the-real-system-requirements-for-windows-10/

Tbh, Linux is better but I'd have reviewed it differently now. but please tell me what you think about it.

Derek

2 Likes

I tested w10 long time ago and when I saw operating system talking to me what I can do that or not stopped on w7 because politic regulation on w7 is diffrent from w10 - lower spying.
Apple is stable, mostly all app and all stuff is for paying. Simple nothing special and stable - for people who don't want to much from operative system.
Linux after 30 years is diffrent. I can choose what i want,reconfigurable, more drivers avaible for older PC.
More games can working on them.
Security is ok if we checked Kodachi or Quebec.
So if depends what you need wanna gaming use Zorin 16 Pro or POP OS. Security Kodachi or Quebec. Stable for learning or programming use Mx Linux on Debian,Tumbleewed or OpenSuse,Manjaro.
This what I can sayed.
If you using Primary system on hard disk or many hard disk then just you can configure your grub with uefi and you can choose what you want operating system. Or if you have many pc or laptops in home used what you want.

The PC new motherboard and processor.

This i found in garage mini - itx. Used little hammer on case and all working.

Here old bios with old laptop also found in garage.

Next old found in garage

and some two station pc and one samsung laptop.

So propably i can put them on the museum laptops some linux. I have some hard disk.

2 Likes

Dude, what an awesome post, I love posts like these! First of all, what a beautiful monitor! I love it! Computer with water cooler AIO on it is nice looking, nice mobo. And that case fan? Looks like you took it off the case and put it on the CPU on the next computer lol. I do see the wiring mess in that one.

Its been so long since I've seen a BIOS like that, I barely have any memory of that design. This is back when BIOS was all text, no pretty UI. Oh oh, I notice my enemy right there, arch nemesis, Windows My Enemy. Thats what we called that horrid mess back in the day. lol

You realize that notebook has collectors value right? Don't lose it! The next notebook, the Dell with the Toshiba screen, that looks newer. Awww, look how nice you are, you were prepared for my arrival, and you had tea ready to go. Gosh your awesome!

I love seeing all your gear, its always fun to see what people are rocking.

I told you I put some photos after my busy days.
This old laptop with millenium have only small hard disk.

The one mini-itx was a Aspire xc-605 only two things was good processor and hard disk and RAM. That was when you buying finished PC on market.
This Toshiba laptop have a vista - propably can used on him some linux for testing.
The fan is working on this PC.

Not to much place there, with graphic card asus radeon R7 240 2GB.

1 Like

I love the Windows Millenium Edition screen, It's been some time when i saw that screen. 10 gb back in that time was a huge hdd, these days it's nothing anymore....man i am getting old :sweat_smile:

We are generation who know all first PC.

2 Likes

Yes we are, and because we know what we had available to us in the past, is why we appreciate what we can have now in the future. :sunglasses:

I just had this incredible experience yesterday.
There was this folder called "found.000" created under C:\ of my Win10. There was absolutely no easy way to delete this pesky folder!

After some searching on the net, I finally found a way to delete it in 4 steps from Command Prompt:

dir /a:h
CD c:\found.000
takeown /F * /R /A
icacls * /T /grant Administrators:F

and finally delete it from the File manager.

I could do it in a single step by right clicking on the file in Linux :roll_eyes:
Yet people say, Windows is easier than Linux....
Well, at least not always.

2 Likes

FrenchPress!

I missed you! :hugs: I am so glad you are back, this forum wasn't the same without you here. So welcome back, now the balance has been restored, I can breath agian. :grin:

Now to the topic at hand. Back when I was on Windows7, this would happen to me on occasion believe it not, and I need to download an APP, just to delete a file, that wouldn't delete normally.

And you are right, with Linux, you can either right click on a file and click delete, or you can hit the DEL key after selecting a file to delete it. Additionally, for permanent deletion of files to bypass recycle bin, hold down SHIFT and DEL keys.

2 Likes

Next time you can also boot in linux and trash it within linux or trash the entire windows 10 drive :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words.
I was out of this planet a while for some secret missions
:rocket:

Yup, I also found that method to delete "un-deletables".
But installing a software to delete file seems rather cumbersome so I went for a Command Prompt method.

I suppose I could have also done the same using the Power shell - I still do not understand why MS introduced it while Command Prompt can do the same thing.

I remember when I practice with linux and deleted whole hard disk with no backup when installing a linux.
Linux is very usefull for repair os windows and also deleting all windows and files what you cannot deleted.
Linux for me is little a doctor he always know what a problem is in PC with peripherals device. Like your private a doctor.
Many times help with some files on sdcard what windows cannot reading them, recovery or backup.
Goodnight folks see you tomorrow.

1 Like

I remember 30MB HDD were extremely large and expensive. LOL.

Well, let me tell you about the days when there was no such thing called hard disk. The OS sits in a single 8 inch floppy and the data is saved on another 8 inch :nerd_face:

I think the box of 10 floppies cost more than a low end laptop now a days :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

Although it was a bit before my time, I remember using computers like that for a short while at my elementary school. 5.25" floppies were my true beginning at my elementary school with Apple II, and at home in late 1980s with a PC/AT when my brother built one.

I remember my elementary school then switched to Macintosh II, and it was also used at my Junior High School. I forgot what computers my High School used. But, I had a computer class and we learned QBasic.

I used to have so many 5.25" floppy games like Oregon Trail and many others from Scholastic. Then 3.5" became common and to install anything maybe a dozen disks were needed. I used to have boxes of blank floppies and ones sent from ISPs floppies. I wish I still have them, as I treated them as coasters for my drinks. LOL.

I remember world without a computers but then i have some 7 years old and it maybe exist some another a countries.

Yep, thats how I started, was on those 5-incher floppies, and unlike the 3.5 floppines, the 5 inchers were real floppies, they would flop, hence their name! The 3.5 inch floppies used hard plastic so they didn't flop. lol

Yeah, but you know what? Magnetic tape storage shares the same durability issues that optical disks have. Both never lasted very long, they wear out quickly, its almost like the material that makes them up decomposes after awhile.

We were all sold on a lie that they would last forever, yeah right, no such thing. Even mechanical hard drives have already proven to be more reliable then old magnetic tape drives or optical storage.

And now that SSD's are king of the universe now, I can also confirm SSD storage is more reliable then old magnetic tape storage or optical storage too. Times have changed a lot over the years.

The 8 incher floppies were before my time. But I watch The 8-Bit Guy on Youtube, so I've seen the 8 incher floppies in his video, they obviously date back to the 70's, because they predated the Apple II machines that used the 5 incher floppies.

We actually already have a thread that talks about this stuff, its the Old Tech VS Modern Tech thread. But I agree, its really fun to talk about hehe.

@FrenchPress For you! My collection of floppy disks for my C64...

4 Likes

There's something strange in the neighborhood, too many uncontrolled floppies, who you gonna call? Floppy Busters!

2 Likes

From another forum