Linux vs. Windows

Thats cause your computers fans were cooling your overheating CPU from all the data mining Windows was doing on you. I just think its so wonderful how you gave Windows the good oh what for, when you switched to Linux hehe.

2 Likes

@StarTreker @Aravisian, why am i getting small uploads and downloads when i don't use the laptop ? is linux collecting data or something ???

Total received 204,3 mb total send 7,8 mb

That is quite a conclusion to jump to.
Is that standard performance on the PC?

I just turned the laptop on and start to check the monitor, and i see the spikes going up and down.

I get these on my desktop as well:
Gnome-Software checks for Apt-cache, Gnome-updater checks for updates... Even as I am typing this, my ever-present conky spiked to 1500KiB.

Oke so it's a gnome thing ? i just rebooted again to check and the spikes are up and down sometimes.

Well, in this case, Gnome. But any Linux distro will do it in order to keep up to date with which ever package manager it uses.

Yes this is normal, and this has been happening with operating systems since as long as I can remember. This happens on Windows as well. When software checks for updates, your internet usage is going to spike at different times. If you leave your internet browser open, you can see more of the same, as site data is being downloaded.

Take the Zorin forum here, have you ever wondered how the notification system works so well, how you can just sit on a page, and without refreshing the page, a new post shows up suddenly for you to read? Thats cause Zorin forum uses cookies and stays connected.

To be honest, I like this feature! And as long as your internet is not burning minutes on a cell phone, then you shouldn't be worried about the usage spikes. If I had to get my internet from my phones mobile data, I would feel differently lol.

Oke nothing to worry about. Thanks for the heads up.

Zorin OS is fixed Ubuntu :smiley:

4 Likes

@StarTreker read the reports about windows 11 LOL!

nvme drives 3 times slower, amd performance is worse...oh my haha

1 Like

This is why I made that post welcoming AMD users to Zorin OS 16. When I found out that AMD systems were literally up to 20% slower on Windows 11 vs Intel systems, I knew they were gonna come over here. Microsoft doesn't realize this, but their game is up. They pushed people too far, and now, they are leaving.

I saw the report on this also and the problem was overlooked by the AMD quality team as well as Microsoft. There has been an update released already to address this, but have not seen any reports as to how well it works.

I think Microsoft released their OS in a hurry. People who are smart will wait longer before installing Windows 11 until it gets some stability...

1 Like

These are two different world each with Unique advantage and disadvantage. No one can claim that this is the best OS.......... Only the Global usage can define the number of users on each platform.

When WinVista was released, everybodies machines were going to BSOD at a regular basis. Many company businesses actually regretted updating to VISTA. It wasn't until Windows7 came out, that got things back on track for people lol.

My MS history at home is 98, XP , 7, 10, and now 11. I missed the Vista and Windows 8 fun. The old laptop will need replacement by Windows 10 end of life, but should still run a light weight Linux disro.

1 Like
1 Like