Linux vs. Windows

Linux is Freedom vs Windows "we can do what we want - you don't have any choice".

My Dad is not a Computer Geek himself, and uses Windows from the days of Windows 7 but still if he runs into a problem he tells me to fix it on Windows, Why? If someone don't have any experience to work around with Computer or OSes then how can you expect the man to co-op with any OS in the world? We can't expect a baby to be running around and scoring a medal just after the day he is born. He will learn running walking and speaking with some time and learn to co-op. I totally disagree with you but, still agree with the part where Windows have an edge in Gaming but, this part will also change with recently developing technologies because many companies are working really hard to provide gaming support for Linux like for example see Steam. They are natively providing support for Proton in Linux for gaming. But if we compare macOS here, then Apple should also stop selling such expensive machines as well because macOS are also considered really poor for gaming but, still people buy such expensive machine because macs are really good for day-to-day works. Even after being a Trillion Dollar company Apple have been failed multiple times to provide good gaming support on their macOS and here we are comparing Linux which totally free and open source. So, the conclusion is that, let it be any OS or any Software, if you don't know any thing about it, it would be really hard for you to use it.

2 Likes

Something tells me that your dad is much younger than me :sweat_smile: My first computer was from pre DOS era. The first Windows was 3,1 since 3,0 was never released in Japan.

I was using macOS (home-made Hackintosh) for about 2 years to benefit from their excellent input system to cope with my RSI. Eventually I came back to Linux after old synaptics driver was replaced with better, more advanced libinput.

People have different requirements and there is no perfect solution. While I made much joke about the attitude of MS, Windows itself has its advantage. It is their poor security (or absence thereof) that I have a lot of problem.

1 Like

Well, as long as Mails are concerned I use Webmails and are convenient for me. But, If I tell you something about Printers... I have a HP F2200 Deskjet Printer in my house. I recently had a computer break down fortunately, my main E Drive where I had all the files was saved. So, the IT Guy installed Windows 10 all over again and then my Desktop was working fine. So, I got some assignment which was supposed to be submitted by me from my house since our schools are closed and we are attending Online Classes. So, when I used my printer for scanning the document it was not working and I had to then submit the assignment through my Phone as I didn't had much time left and then after that I inserted the CD which I got with the printer to install the Drivers but recently when I used Zorin OS through USB, I didn't even installed the full OS but still the scanner and the printer was working out of the box and I was literally shocked. Zorin OS works flawlessly with printer, that I can guarantee, I don't know about other distro

My Dad's age is 45 years to be precise

1 Like

At least older than my daughter-in-law :sweat_smile:

:sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

LOL! Now i am very curious how old you are :stuck_out_tongue:

My dad is from 1964, he saw everything with computers from dos up to windows 10. My whole family are computer geeks thats why i got sucked into it when i was a kid. Started with a Commodore Amiga A500 when i was 4 years old and a NES.

But linux he never tried and he does not care.

1 Like

You never ask the age to ladies :crazy_face:

I came from the family which is nothing to do with technology. They were also not very keen of girl's education (was consider to be a waste of money). I learnt everything by myself including English language.

@FrenchPress I also mostly learning myself somethings. I am next year over 40. :slight_smile: Young blood this time are more smarter with technology. I am generation where everything was in diapers.

I think anyone who had an internet already in place had an easy time learning Linux. Back in early 90's there was only monthly computer magazines. You could ask a question by sending a snail mail :snail: and kept your finger crossed that the editor selected your question and answered in the next month's issue.

Some people on the forum expect us to reply in a few hours if not a few minutes. It is a far cry fro those analogue informatics days.

Oh, incidentally there was no copy-and-paste in those days.
You had to type all commands one by one looking at the printed tutorial.

I remember slowly old mobile internet with high billing internet.

1 Like

If I understand then better if social create things - units are focus on one things.
ccv

As long as it was not one of those, you did have a high speed internet.

2 Likes

We live in modern times these days :joy:

Yes indeed. It was that internet.

1 Like

OK, I'll give you an easy hint.
My first machine came with no internal disk but two 8 inch floppy bays. One to read the OS, the other one to save data.

At least I did not use punch card like @zabadabadoo did.

They are taking over the world...

Ha Ha. When I had a Sinclair Spectrum you could type in programs from magazines
There would be pages of code to be typed in on a non-standard rubber button keyboard and checked line by line, just for a simple game. No wonder I could not get some of those programs to run.
Better to buy the program on compact cassette and load it that way. For younger viewers, your music cassette recorder was also your home computer boot drive. cassette

PS: Punched cards and Paper tape were for professionals. :wink:

1 Like

Ah equality. So now you never ask the age to men either :upside_down_face:

2 Likes