Modern Nvidia Drivers

Whenever you download an ISO, there is always a possibility that the download didn't go perfectly, which results in a corrupted file. Usually, the download goes perfectly fine, nothing to worry about! But on rare occasions, it can go bad.

This is why we recommend checking the SHA256 checksum to make sure. Its super easy to do this. Zorin's provide checksum hashes for each distro version that you can download from their site. This is what the page looks like, on the DOWNLOADS page.

Scroll to the bottom, and click on show SHA256 checksums...

Once you have your downloaded ISO, you need to check it for corruption. This is super easy to do. All you have to do, is load it up into your ISO burner, and you can check it there. This is one of the reasons why I really love Popsicle, as it has a HASH checker built in.

See...

Under the HASH, select the drop down, and set it to SHA256, then copy paste the HASH checksum for your distro version you downloaded, and paste it into the field box, and then just have it check it. If it passes, it will be GREEN, if it fails, it will be RED.

I hope this explains the process, as its the best that I can explain it.

1 Like

Thanks for the info my pop os buddy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I do the best that I can. And I typed all that while hopped up on caffene, do you know what thats like? You make a lot of mistakes as you type, your world feels completely impossible, yet you are awake, too awake for your own fingers. Vis za v, whatever will be will be, such as life, loaded with strife.

And thanks Michel my buddy oh pal! Appreciate it!

StarTreker

yoda
Your Tech Support Guru

1 Like

Ok, Have tried again with Zorin (fresh download) but to no avail. I manage to connect the Broadcom drivers but as soon as I try and open Firefox the screen freezes and my only way out is to power off. Tried Pop Os but the lack of wifi drivers stopped me making any progress and nobody seemed to have an easy solution on You Tube. Looks like Linux Mint is the best option. Apart from anything else, once I have created USB boot drives for Zorin, Ubuntu, Pop OS I am unable to get rid of the partitions created and the usb's are operating on much reduced capacity now. I have tried formatting in Windows and on iMac but to no avail. Will try a full install of Linux Mint in the morning.

What broadcom model you have ?

Hi Michel. I am not sure what model was in Pop OS but it was not connected and I could not find how to get it.Not sure I liked the layout anyway.
It is a pity that there seems to be an issue with Firefox causing Zorin to freeze in Live USB mode on my iMac. It has happened twice so I dare not take the risk of doing the full install. Zorin had been my first choice from the beginning but, I cannot get past trying to open the Firefox browser. I think Linux Mint will work as I have been able to connect wifi and search the internet in Live USB mode.

Have you tried other browsers? I find Firefox to be slower than Brave for example. I use a fork of it called Dissenter. On a very old, slow machine I use SeaMonkey. Although on SeaMonkey I cannot speak to its security. I just love using Zorin on my iMac. I wish you could experience this same thing.

I think I will try and install Linux Mint initially and still keep trying other Live USB's including Zorin. It is easy for me to check if the issue is resolved as all I have to do is connect the wifi and then try to open the browser. Unfortunately, to get to another browser I would have to use Firefox as it is the only browser on there. I would prefer to use Brave (which is on all my other pc's, laptop etc. Is there a way to download Brave without using the Firefox browser?

Thx for the explanation. However, I would have to be already on Linux to be able to use Popsicle. Balena Etcher is the simplest tool to use on an iMac in Mac OS Snow Leopard to create the Disc image and there is no option to check the SHA256 in that app.

You can try Quickhash. That is available for Windows, Linux and Apple OSX.

Thanks For that. Very useful.

Hi Michel,
I know we have drifted off the topic of Modern Nvidia Drivers but, in answer to your question about which broadcom model Zorin uses, the Broadcom Wireless Controller that the trial Zorin 16 core installs initially is the BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Controller. It says this is not working and the Additional Drivers section offers me the Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless Driver source from bcmwl-kernel, which seems to connect. I was able to add an email account in the live session and this worked but as soon as I tried to open Firefox it froze again and I had to switch off.
When I first boot up I get a short error mesage saying boot not found but then it proceeds to load up to give me the Live usb option or the full install. I tried yet again and as soon as I tried to open the software store to look for another browser, it used Firefox and the screen froze yet again. I am going to try some other distros to see if it is my machine or the Zorin live USB at fault. If I did install Zorin and it did not work is it easy to just install another distro over the top of it?

Yes, you can use other desktops over Zorin OS Core, absolutely. Infact, we were just talking about that with another user about installing perhaps XFCE, or Cinnamon DE over Zorin OS.

According to Aravisian who has more experience in this are then I. He reported that Cinnamon can be installed ready to go with less mess to configure. Where as if you were to install XFCE, you'd apparently have to do a lot of configuring.

I like to hear that you are willing to do some science. It would be nice to know if it really is your machine, or if its the Zorin LIVE USB itself. If it happens with other Linux installers, then it would be a sign that its your machine indeed.

But, if you choose to switch to a different desktop installed over the top of Zorin, you won't have to do that science testing, well, other then trying out a different DE that is, its not like you would be installing a whole distro or anything lol.

Yes, you can easily install another distro over Zorin OS by choosing to do a complete install.

What will happen if he just install the cinnamon enviroment on his zorin 16 installation ? will his screen freeze too ?

Just thinking here.

I just found this:

Links to:

Thinking about those freezings back in 2014, i used firefox too and had a gtx 485m. Is it really possible a browser can freeze up the enitire system ?

These days still using firefox (as i type) but no issues here.

It's a good question. I had not considered it, either. It seems strange that a Browser would cause the Nvidia to flip out.

Ok, So after trying out several live USB versions - Elementary, Pop OS, Mint, Deepin I decided to try and install Zorin first. The issue with Firefox freezing that happened in the Live USB on Zorin also happened in the full install. In the other distros it did not. I downloaded Chromium and that worked fine. After the install I restarted the machine (by taking out the USB and pressing enter when prompted). It takes a good 60 seconds to produce the first Z logo then a further 30 secs to get to ZORIN and then another 30 secs for the musical chords. At this stage the screen is totally black with a white cursor. 5 minutes later I got the Welcome Tour! That can't be right! This iMac was happily running El Capitan before I started playing around with it. It has a 2.66 GHz dual core processor, 8 GB of DDR3 ram and a 640Gb HDD. Surely I should not have to run Zorin Lite?
Ubuntu 20.04 will be my fall back if this has too many glitches.

Zorin OS should run on that like a cool breeze.

What you describe really sounds like Graphics Card driver problems.
Please remind me, what is your graphics card again?