Need advice in solving problems for a full transition to Zorin OS

On the computer there are two SSDs on one win 10 on the second there is Zorin OS. I don't want to use Win 10 at all, I really like Zorin, but there are two things because of which I have to keep windows - this is the first apprative acceleration of video decoding, especially 4k and in particular from youtube (4k). I have an intel i3 7100 processor, I use a built-in intel hd 630 video, so when watching youtube 4k 60 in win 10, the CPU load is 20-35% no more, the video card is about 45% (EDGE browser), if you watch the same thing in Zorin, Google browser or EDGE, no difference, then friezes, CPU load is 85-95% at the peak of 100% how to fix it has not yet figured out.

And the second, this is more of a series of ease of use, I have an LG monitor and for Windows there is an OnScreen application in which you can adjust the brightness and contrast of the screen, so I have not found an analogue for linux, but I always turn the settings of the monitor from the buttons, well, so-so, by the way, I remembered one more moment while I was writing how to upload your ICC monitor color profiles

If there are solutions to these issues, can someone tell me!

Here maybe you find something.
https://alternativeto.net/software/lg-onscreen-control/

https://www.howtogeek.com/662422/how-to-use-linuxs-screen-command/

I usually recommend Brightness Controller (Which I reference in the following thread) for a GUI app for handling monitor brightness. Contrast, however, I am not so sure about.
Please review this thread:

I did try out DisplayCal since if I suggest an app, I will sometimes install it in order to know that it will easily install for the user and is functional. I liked it a lot, actually and it has a LOT of options.

I think there may be a typo in this sentence; I may be misunderstanding what you are looking for.
Many Browsers have a setting within the browser to enable or disable Hardware Acceleration.
It may seem intuitive to enable it - But I suggest the opposite. Instead, disable hardware acceleration and then test the Youtube performance with that option disabled.

EDIT: Correction; I do not reference Brightness controller in the other thread (I thought I did... I was wrong). Here is how to install that app:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:apandada1/brightness-controller

sudo apt update && sudo apt install brightness-controller

I figured out the hardware acceleration of the video in YouTube, many people write about it in the end, only if you use the Mozilla browser, you can safely watch 4K60 on YouTube, by the way, the plug of my intel i3 7100 is no more than 50%, of course higher than in Windows, but you can already use it calmly.

I also figured out the color profiles.

But with the brightness adjustment, the trouble is, the applications that were advised above have two problems:

1. In the first answer, there is only one application that is for linux, it also does not work (
  2. In the second answer, it's already a little better here, it works, but when you start it, the brightness slider in it is set to the maximum (although there can be any value in the monitor itself, I had - brightness 5, contrast 20) and it's impossible to add more, only if you adjust it in the monitor itself (and this is nothing is needed). Naturally, you can say that for convenience, then add brightness on the monitor to the maximum and already decrease it in the application, it seems logical, but this is a problem when adjusting the brightness for some reason, the color profile flies off immediately

Are you referring to DisplayCal or to Brightness Controller?

I mean, I downloaded the color profiles (ICC) with the built-in tools of Zorin OS, I did not use the DisplayCal application. And when I adjust the brightness through the Brightness Controller, there is a shift in the brightness and contrast curve, the values that are completely unclear to me all abruptly become dark in the shadows (you can't seem to see anything) and contrast

1 Like

I wonder if you installed Cinnamon DE it might solve the problem?:

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=295075

Not the best idea, I put a lot of different distributions, with different shells, by the way, for me the most beautiful was in Deepin OS, but it didn't work out, and I left my choice on Zorin OS. The reasons for this seemed to me to be more complete, well, at least errors don't climb in the first days, and variations by the way , the design was not a little important

Cinnamon is not an OS it's a DE (Desktop Environment) and there are users of Zorin who have it installed such as Frog.

Have you tried with HW acceleration off? I have to have it disabled or it hangs and crashes on me; Firefox, that is.

You also could check your OpenCL status with clinfo - have to install, I think a whopping 3Kb of space, with: sudo apt install clinfo, then just run clinfo in the terminal. I'm on my little netbook right now but, it has an Intel UHD 600 - didn't have OpenCL installed. Found that I should have it, installed, and boom - loads better performance! I know this says nothing in todays time but, both Diablo games and Warcraft 3 play way smoother than before - all the settings on max for graphics. I'm assuming that's an OpenGL replacement? Anyone, feel free to correct me on that :smile:

No, they are entirely different things. They just have similar sounding names.
OpenCL (Computing Language) is a framework for writing programs.
OpenGL (Graphics Library) is a rendering library.
Hardware and drivers can have support for OpenCL that is not being used if you do not have other components of OpenCL installed.

Having it installed, if the hardware and drivers are also present, can allow that hardware and drivers and Kernel to assign tasks to the hardware that is best suited for that task.
I do not really understand OpenCL very well, either.
Looking it up on WIkipedia, it says:

OpenCL is a for writing programs that execute across heterogeneous platforms...

Gee, thanks, Wiki... hetogenerous what? What the wikipedia article is trying to say is that you can picture OpenCL like a Director that assigns tasks and delegates actions.
[EDIT: The more I re-read this, the less I like that analogy... A Director is animate. OpenCL is more inanimate than that. It is more like Nvidia's Cuda saying, "I can pick up that task" and OpenCL enabling it to do so, than OpenCL telling Cuda to do so.]

For example, instead of the CPU handling all computations, with OpenCL, it may handle certain computations while passing other computations to the GPU to process as it is better suited for those kinds of computations.
Nvidia's Cuda is an OpenCL platform. This means that with Cuda, the Nvidia GPU can be utilized for processes during those times it would otherwise be sitting idle waiting on some graphics to render.

I hope my rather novice post helps.

1 Like

Definitely not novice. More than what Wiki offered haha so yeah! Really wasn't too clear on it either - did install with my Nvidia graphics as well; and saw increase there. Nothing stellar, just a jump in speed. Don't have the Intel settings like I do with Nvidia, but the Nvidia runs up to something around 8GT/s.. sounds fast - another territory that I'm unfamiliar with :sweat_smile: Guess it shows too, I'd probably have more knowledge on this if I kept up with current gaming - just payed attention to Cuda cores for running Cura. Giga transfers is a new one though, as was Cuda about 3 years ago lol other than work machines, my personal was from 2010 - lasted well enough! Has Nvidia 3D vision - Dead Space 2 was wicked, I jumped a lot with that one :rofl: only cause stuff was popping out of the glasses onto the screen - nuts.. only 3D I liked.

I know and understand that this is a desktop shell, but I don't like it and often caught screen breaks with it when dragging windows

here's what clinfo showed:
ICD loader properties
ICD loader Name OpenCL ICD Loader
ICD loader Vendor OCL Icd free software
ICD loader Version 2.2.11
ICD loader Profile OpenCL 2.1

Sweet! So likely no worries there - I'm not too sure why it didn't come with my Nvidia drivers :thinking: :person_shrugging:

For web browsing maybe try without HW acceleration - if no change, I'd say it's nothing to worry there either.. Did have to enable DRM content in my Firefox settings, not sure if Chrome or Edge have that setting or similar. Been a while since fooling with Edge, not really into Chrome anymore either - Firefox won me over with performance (personal preference, of course). I would definitely poke around in settings to see what you can find on any performance settings to see if something may be disabled, or enabled, causing the issues.

This might sound crazy - but.. wiggle your display connections - if you're using HDMI, unplug and swap ends with device <--> display, try a shorter one or just a different cable in general. I have actually had this solve issues with HDMI - no idea why but it worked just swapping the ends.. I felt like an idiot, but - learned something new :joy:

Some HDMI cables are unidirectional.

2 Likes

Oh yeah - got a 35-footer garden-hose size HDMI going to the TV from the media room (..closet :rofl:) That one is absolutely directional! Snagged that sucker off monoprice for a good deal :smirk:

2 Likes

I seem to remember another member having issues with OpenCL. Can't remember if they got it sorted or not. Weird one that.

2 Likes

I seem to have figured out almost everything, according to the brightness of the monitor, it turned out like this, I change the monitor, I'm waiting for a new one when it arrives, there's only manual control in any OS.

Now another problem has arisen, I have an Asus strix soar sound card, the sound on the headphones (it has a separate output), the sound on the speakers is stereo, as for the sound 5.1-7.1, via analog connection, I haven't checked yet, there are just no wires. But there is no sound on SPDIF, I have a DTS receiver, Dolby Digital supports, but there is no sound even in stereo PCM, on the advice of the Internet I installed pulseaudio, but I choose digital output, and there is still no sound, it goes to analog outputs, why I don't understand.

Pulse audio is already present in Zorin. Your comment of 'no wires' might be the reason you are not getting any sound.

1 Like