Need Help Optimizing Boot Time and Disabling Disk Check Delay

Issue: Slow Boot Time on Zorin OS

My Zorin OS is taking more time than desired to boot. In an attempt to diagnose the issue, I ran the following command:

systemd-analyze blame

Here's the output:

927ms snapd.service
896ms dev-nvme0n1p1.device
554ms fwupd.service
541ms udisks2.service
516ms systemd-logind.service
500ms smartmontools.service
416ms networkd-dispatcher.service
405ms snap-core20-1974.mount
386ms snap-flutter-141.mount
319ms snap-wps\x2d2019\x2dsnap-2.mount
219ms modprobe@chromeos_pstore.service
207ms systemd-journal-flush.service
198ms systemd-udevd.service
188ms snap-snapd-19457.mount
174ms snap-gtk\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-1535.mount
171ms accounts-daemon.service
170ms snap-code-137.mount
142ms snap-bare-5.mount
136ms snap-code-136.mount
128ms snap-gtk2\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-13.mount
123ms snap-core-15511.mount
122ms avahi-daemon.service
120ms polkit.service

Disable Disk Checking

I attempted to disable the disk checking service using the following command:

sudo systemctl disable systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-933b47d9\x2d20c0\x2d4d2f\x2d880b\x2d14ca074dbaf4.service

While I successfully disabled the service, so its not showing in the analyze blame command but disk checking is still happening during boot. This has led to a delay despite my efforts.

I aim to reduce the boot time on Zorin OS. The specific issue is the disk checking process, which is taking much time during boot. Ideally, I'd like to bring this down to around 2-3 seconds, similar to the boot time on my trimmed down Debian system.

It would be safer to remove or delay snap startup, since these are the least important things to start.

Did you disable fast boot in the bios, and windows prior to removing it?

If not, windows may have left the drive write protected. It may not exist anymore, but the flag remains on the drive, possibly causing issue with udisks ability to quickly check the drive.

I removed snapd and left the disk check... my laptop boots from grub in about four seconds or less... with the check.

2 Likes

Aside from Snap items, you can disable the systemd-networkd.service since it is not useful for home users and is more for servers.

sudo systemctl stop systemd-networkd.service

sudo systemctl disable systemd-networkd.service

Everything else on your list must remain.

Using an SSD speeds up boot quite a bit. Wanting a faster boot is fine and all, but it can be risky trying to disable Init items.

Sometimes, you just need to accept that things will take the time they take and use that time to grab a coffee or something.

2 Likes

It should be noted that Windows Fast Startup reduces boot time at the expense of system reliability.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for this info.
I do encounter some random behavior on my several devices related to booting time on Zorin OS (dual boot mode), some device had longer boot time about 10~20 second (although it's have an identical device hardware).
I'll try to disable Windows Fast Startup now.

From what I've read, Windows Fast Startup is actually a form of hibernation. Which means when you "shut down" Windows, it isn't really turned off, it keeps a grip on the hardware and thus Fast Startup can cause serious problems for other OSes on the same machine. It's recommended to turn off Fast Start before installing another OS.

4 Likes

I attempted to disable the disk checking service using the following command:

sudo systemctl disable systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2duuid-933b47d9\x2d20c0\x2d4d2f\x2d880b\x2d14ca074dbaf4.service

should i enable it then??

It is recommended that if you change anything to fix an issue, and it doesn't resolve it, to undo what you did. This prevents any possible fix from hindering things after the issue is resolved.

Many times I have seen attempts to fix things go forgotten, crippling or causing other issues after the original issue was resolved.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.